Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should we focus on restricting and regulating ammunitions?
Yes. 19 15.70%
Yes, but only restrict the most dangerous bullets, such as the Black Talon,'hollow-points,' and cop-killer bullets. 2 1.65%
No, no new restrictions. 94 77.69%
other (please explain below). 6 4.96%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 03:04 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,704,526 times

Advertisements

I cast my own lead bullets and reload them. How can this be restricted in any way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 03:07 PM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I cast my own lead bullets and reload them. How can this be restricted in any way?
It can't.

Neither can an estimated 3-4 trillion rounds of ammunition simply disappear.

These are the fever dreams of anti-gun hysterics, and will never have a basis in reality. And even if they "outlaw" these things, it won't accomplish anything other than making currently law abiding citizens into criminals on an ex post facto basis.

Besides that bit of revolution fomenting, not one single thing changes.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:10 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
It can't.

These are the fever dreams of anti-gun hysterics, and will never have a basis in reality. And even if they "outlaw" these things, it won't accomplish anything other than making currently law abiding citizens into criminals on an ex post facto basis.

We can use the excess ammo to pave our government roads.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:14 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,346 times
Quote:
To add on to this...I'd like travis to point out the word "need" appearing anywhere in the 2nd, 9th or 10th Amendment?

2) A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

9) The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

10) The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Don't see hunting or need anywhere. It isn't the Bill of Needs, and it doesn't grant rights anyway. It lists specific rights that are explicitly protected from government meddling, and includes two amendments that cover anything NOT MENTIONED. If the government is not given enumerated power over it, the people and states retain that power, and just because the right isn't mentioned does not mean that those rights do not exist and are further retained by the people.

In every possible way, the Founders covered the simple fact that the people have the absolute, inherent right to keep and bear arms...and not one thing has changed since those amendments and all the trimmings were added to the US Constitution. Nothing.
Your understanding of the Bill of Rights, the concept of Enumerated Powers and cascading of powers and rights not granted under the Constitution to the Fed. Govt., down to the States and/or people is SPOT ON.
I would add further, that the 2A is part of the BOR, a document dealing with preservations of rights, NOT powers granted to the FedGov. Any assertion, therefore, that it (2A) exists to create the National Guard etc., is farcical on it's face.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:14 PM

24,457 posts, read 17,199,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
There are over 300 million guns in the US. Guns last a long time. if we banned gun sales tomorrow, it would be literally centuries before they were eliminated.

Bullets, on the other hand, are used only once. Without bullets, he gun becomes a useless hunk of steel. Rep Debbie Wasserman-Schultz (D,FL) has taken the lead on this. As she says:

Read the Second Amendment all you wish, it's not in their. Sorry, NRA. I think that is fairly brilliant by DWS.

A friend of mine used to say, the gun is really just a dispenser. You wouldn't expect to control cigarettes by banning high-tech, electronic, push-button cigarette machines. Going back to the old-fashioned spring-controlled mechanical machines wouldn't help. The problem lies in the actual cigarette. Same with guns--the problem lies in the BULLET.

DWS wants to apply the same background checks for guns, to ammunitions. Even the NRA supported background checks; how could they now possibly object to the same for bullets?

This would also allow restrictions on certain, extra-deadly types of bullets. New Jersey actually passed a law banning rapid-fire ammunition that was struck down by an ignorant Trump-appointed judge.

What do you think?

The problem is NOT the bullets the problem is the nutjob loser that chooses to take a gun into a crowded area, point it at innocent people and pulling the trigger.

In my state you need to have a gun license to buy bullets. If you have a permit for a rifle you cannot buy bullets for a handgun.

What about the guys that load their own bullets?

I think any new law that would ban or restrict bullets would only harm the law abiding gun owners while doing nothing to stop criminals or murderers.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:23 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,704,526 times
Quote:
It can't.

I think everyone underestimates how much ammo is out there and how long it can last if stored properly.

The last time I was at my grandpa's house, I found some little 50rnd packs of 22LR that had a 75cent price tag on them. They must have been from the 1960s.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:34 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
First of all, that sounds highly dangerous. I would advise you to discontinue.

But to answer your question, it could be restricted the same way that ephedrine pills were when meth makers were using them. Now if you want to buy pills with ephedrine, you have to register the purchase in a log, which can be tracked by gov't agencies. The same thing could be done with purchases of lead.

Don't you also have to have the gun powder and other components in order to make even a lead bullet? I wouldn't think a bare lead bullet would be able to shoot, but I am not an expert on guns. The gunpowder and other components could be restricted and tracked just like ephedrine.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:38 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The problem is NOT the bullets the problem is the nutjob loser that chooses to take a gun into a crowded area, point it at innocent people and pulling the trigger...
In other postings, I have shown that, contrary to popular belief, a gun DOES actually jump up and pull its own trigger. Not literally, of course, but that is effectively what occurs in many cases.

It is basically due to the combination of gun availability and the 'honor culture' that exists in many sectors of the US. This has been shown through scientific research at the University of Washington. I posted it before, but it unfortunately got deleted.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:41 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,703,406 times
Quote:

But to answer your question, it could be restricted the same way that ephedrine pills were when meth makers were using them. Now if you want to buy pills with ephedrine, you have to register the purchase in a log, which can be tracked by gov't agencies. The same thing could be done with purchases of lead.

Don't you also have to have the gun powder and other components in order to make even a lead bullet? I wouldn't think a bare lead bullet would be able to shoot, but I am not an expert on guns. The gunpowder and other components could be restricted and tracked just like ephedrine.

You do realize that the ephedrine restriction had almost no effect on the rates of meth use, don't you? You might want to find a different "registration" program to use as an example.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:58 PM

18,353 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:

Very basic chemistry to make gunpowder, even a high school kid could make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies