Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should we focus on restricting and regulating ammunitions?
Yes. 19 15.70%
Yes, but only restrict the most dangerous bullets, such as the Black Talon,'hollow-points,' and cop-killer bullets. 2 1.65%
No, no new restrictions. 94 77.69%
other (please explain below). 6 4.96%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 02:16 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
First of all, the courts has already ruled on this in that guns without ammo are not arms. The 2A says the right to bear arms and that includes ammo. See: https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/...out-gun-rights
EDIT: I see in the poll they want to restrict hollow points. Does one even know what hollow points are, of why they are needed?
Well, there's nothing in the 2nd Amendment about a right to bear bullets. NOTHING. So that is judicial activism, which conservatives always claim to abhor.

I am not an expert on hollowpoints. I know there was an old movie entitled Hollowpoint. I'll have to see if I can get a copy of it. I do know that hollowpoints are banned from use by the military as inhumane. That's all I need to know right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 02:17 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Yes, that is progress. IIRC my proposal to ban the carbine got only 2 yes votes. People are beginning to smarten up generally on the issue of guns.

Here in Washington state, a common sense gun proposal in 1997 failed 70%-30%. Last year we passed restrictions on assault-style weapons 60-40. I credit an influx of educated Californians and whip-smart millennial tech workers.

It's amazing how WA used to be full of hicks, rubes, and rednecks, but that is changing.
So anyone who doesn't agree with you on gun control is a hick, rube, or redneck? Careful, your prejudices are showing.

Voluntarily giving up rights is not, by any stretch, progress.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:18 PM

2,985 posts, read 1,748,885 times
Quote:
Yes, that is progress. IIRC my proposal to ban the carbine got only 2 yes votes. People are beginning to smarten up generally on the issue of guns.

Here in Washington state, a common sense gun proposal in 1997 failed 70%-30%. Last year we passed restrictions on assault-style weapons 60-40. I credit an influx of educated Californians and whip-smart millennial tech workers.

It's amazing how WA used to be full of hicks, rubes, and rednecks, but that is changing.
No. You are simply exposing the idiots.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:26 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
Quote:
First of all, that sounds highly dangerous. I would advise you to discontinue.
It is not dangerous. I was helping my father melt the lead when I was in elementary school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZe-VtVLDAk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmeiRMDiuBs

Quote:
But to answer your question, it could be restricted the same way that ephedrine pills were when meth makers were using them. Now if you want to buy pills with ephedrine, you have to register the purchase in a log, which can be tracked by gov't agencies. The same thing could be done with purchases of lead.
What about the probably millions of tons of lead that is already "roaming free" in shops, junk yards and thousands of other places. I could go to my parents house now and find buckets of old tire weights stored in the shop. You seem to either not think things through or not know about the different lifestyles across this vast country.

Just for my curiosity:
How old are you? Approximately.
Where did you grow up?

Quote:
Don't you also have to have the gun powder and other components in order to make even a lead bullet? I wouldn't think a bare lead bullet would be able to shoot, but I am not an expert on guns. The gunpowder and other components could be restricted and tracked just like ephedrine.
You have stated that many times but you have refused to educate yourself on the subject. That is willful ignorance on display.

You can't track what you can make at home. https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-chemical-formula-of-gunpowder

Old 04-02-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:

Why the hatred towards people different from you? Do you use derogatory names for homosexuals, African Americans or Jewish people?

Old 04-02-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Well, there's nothing in the 2nd Amendment about a right to bear bullets. NOTHING. So that is judicial activism, which conservatives always claim to abhor.

I am not an expert on hollowpoints. I know there was an old movie entitled Hollowpoint. I'll have to see if I can get a copy of it. I do know that hollowpoints are banned from use by the military as inhumane. That's all I need to know right there.
Actually they aren't banned. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow-point_bullet

That's fine. The armies of the world don't want to cause major damage to a soldier. They want to wound them only. Then others will have to provide medical treatment. A dead soldier equals one man down. A wounded soldier removes multiple men from the battle.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:38 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,352 times
Quote:
There are over 300 million guns in the US. Guns last a long time. if we banned gun sales tomorrow, it would be literally centuries before they were eliminated.

Bullets, on the other hand, are used only once. Without bullets, he gun becomes a useless hunk of steel. Rep Debbie Wasserman-Schultz (D,FL) has taken the lead on this. As she says:

Read the Second Amendment all you wish, it's not in their. Sorry, NRA. I think that is fairly brilliant by DWS.

A friend of mine used to say, the gun is really just a dispenser. You wouldn't expect to control cigarettes by banning high-tech, electronic, push-button cigarette machines. Going back to the old-fashioned spring-controlled mechanical machines wouldn't help. The problem lies in the actual cigarette. Same with guns--the problem lies in the BULLET.

DWS wants to apply the same background checks for guns, to ammunitions. Even the NRA supported background checks; how could they now possibly object to the same for bullets?

This would also allow restrictions on certain, extra-deadly types of bullets. New Jersey actually passed a law banning rapid-fire ammunition that was struck down by an ignorant Trump-appointed judge.

What do you think?

I like the idea. It worked for Sheriff Andy and Barney Fife !

Old 04-02-2019, 02:58 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Why the hatred towards people different from you? Do you use derogatory names for homosexuals, African Americans or Jewish people?
OK, point taken on that. Mea Culpa, and thank you for pointing it out. It's just that the state seems to be much more educated now than it used to be, with Californians and super-smart millennials flooding in to work at Amazon, Microsoft, etc.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:02 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,054 times
Quote:
There is nothing in the constitution that authorizes congress to regulate ammunition. The federal government is not supposed to do anything not specifically authorized by the constitution.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
OK, point taken on that. Mea Culpa, and thank you for pointing it out. It's just that the state seems to be much more educated now than it used to be, with Californians and super-smart millennials flooding in to work at Amazon, Microsoft, etc.
A job at Amazon or Microsoft does not guarantee a higher IQ. While they are hiring technical people, they are also hiring security guards, admin assistants and even people to empty the trash cans. Are Californians by default smarter than a native Washingtonian or do their politics just align better with yours?

I've worked in the IT industry for almost 27 years and some of the smartest people are not the ones showing it. They are humble and non-assuming. One of the smartest guys I have ever met was in his 60's and had been part of the team that invented a new type of database structure. It wasn't done in a think-tank or a big university, it was done in a bar on a bunch of napkins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies