Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 10:39 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
They grew up.
Entitled is grown up? Self-serving is grown up? Hyper- materialism? War mongering? Incivility? I could go, but I'll stop.

Previous generations grew up without becoming what the Boomers became. Compared to the Boomers, they are/were wise, gracious, humble as they age(d). GenXers grew up and entered (or will soon enter) middle age without requiring all the attention the Boomers have always demanded. "Me, me, me!" "Mine, mine, mine!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drungus View Post
Hate much?
Come up with something original.

In any case, considering all the hate Boomers dump on Millennials, or anyone/anything else that gets in their way, this ^^ is pretty funny.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:59 PM

22,461 posts, read 11,981,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Right. It's simply our turn to be grumpy old men and women.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...-old-man/n9948
^^^^Good one

My daughter, a Millennial, sent along this video to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGvrmltfMrA

Old 04-07-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
What you said, that I responded to, was utterly idiotic and hateful. Sorry somebody had to hurt your feelings by saying that.

By the way, I've not said one negative thing about Millennials. You, on the other hand, have spewed a lot of hateful vitriol. Some introspection would do you good.
You didn't hurt my feelings. But it's funny that you choose to "correct" me, but not any of the Boomers on this thread spewing plenty of "hateful vitriol" against Millennials. If anyone is in need of "some introspection," it's the Boomer generation.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:04 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YMO View Post

At least in my generation, it's easy to see why most of them are Progressives or have Progressive ideas. At least to most of us, we got screwed over by capitalism. Personally I haven't been screwed over, but I know friends who didn't get any of the benefits of the Trump Tax Cuts and are stuck in low-wage hell.
Millennials put blame in the wrong place while ignoring (not thinking) who is owed a lot of blame. The price of college is breaking America. The price of college is breaking you kids before you even get started.

So your solution is gov't (tax payers) should pay for it instead of demanding that colleges get their cost under control. Of course colleges are going to support the party that support money coming their way and they'll teach the students this mindset, you are educated to become their soldiers... soldiers to get more gov't money for colleges... think about it.

You are paying for their pensions while you can't even get started. Insisting the tax payer pays for your education will make college admin and professors even more greedy. Remember, the tax payer does and/or will include you.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
And there's more of that blind hatred.

I'm really very calm. Don't try to put me "in my place."

Perhaps you should point out the "blind hatred" in some some of Boomers' posts upthread (?). There's one just a few posts up, for example.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:10 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
They grew up.
And found Jesus, apparently. And they want to force our society back to a fantasy version of their 1950s and early 1960s childhoods.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
And found Jesus, apparently. And they want to force our society back to a fantasy version of their 1950s and early 1960s childhoods.
Oh, give it a rest already! Stop whining and move out of your red state into a blue state. What's taking you so long to do so?

You have a fevered imagination if you truly believe that drivel you wrote.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I was 27 when my wife & I bought our first house. It was the late 80s, when mortgage interest rates were over 11%, and you didn't buy a house without a 20% downpayment. It was actually harder for young people to buy a house than it is today.

But it was okay. It just was what it was. We've all seen what happens when it becomes too easy to buy houses.
True. The interest rate when we bought our first house was 11%. Fortunately, we were able to get a VA mortgage. Still, we did have to pay closing costs. The state I live in has had programs to help first time buyers with mortgages that have small down payments. However, the requirements to qualify for them are very stringent. Also, ARM mortgages are a way to buy a house with a smaller down payment.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
I counsel and advise a lot of younger people. I regularly advise them to not buy a house - at least not right away. There are SO many hidden and unexpected costs, especially if they are unable to do any repairs themselves.

But somewhere along the line we've been brainwashed into thinking that owning a house not only provides a place to live, but is a great income generator - and that it's always exponentially better to buy than rent. After all, it's the American Dream, and houses always increase in value! Unfortunately, that isn't true.
^^^^good advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies