Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 01:40 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I'm at the tail end of the boomer generation, and I think Millennials are awesome. They are forward-looking and progressive in their social beliefs, the environment, diversity, gun violence, income inequality and work ethics. The previous generations have handed them a broken country, but there's a lot of talent and energy in this generation and they will move us forward.

Once the bitter old conservatives, hellbent on keeping us mired in the last century, get out of their way.
Progressive?

I'm to the right of Pinochet. Free helicopter rides for commies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 02:06 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
I am a Baby Boomer. I don't hear many of my peers complaining about the younger generations.

But - I have young cousins (children of my first cousins) who are Millennials. Most of them are fine with members of my generation, as far as I can tell - the ones who complain and blame mightily have rather obvious issues themselves which make it impossible for them to live independently and to get and keep decent jobs and decent relationships with members of the opposite sex. Gotta blame someone for being stuck in Mama's basement - so we Boomers (also their parents' generation) get that unwanted prize.

Most of my young relatives tilt blue, not red - but they run the gamut, and those who are doing well in their personal lives and who are stable, productive, intelligent, pleasant and respectful people to be around are blue. One is on a full academic scholarship at a very prominent Ivy League school, another is on scholarship in medical school, another is laying plans for political candidacy herself in about ten years. Another, who works for a major airline, is using his weekends to travel the world. Yet another is a young golf pro. Varying paths, all very individual, but all leading somewhere positive.

Those who tilt red and who are less successful also experienced less consistent parenting as children, which I think bears a lot of blame for their current inadequacies and their resulting political views, as they see the more authoritarian candidates and elected officials as strong and dependable, unlike what they experienced as children dealing with ineffective and inconsistent but well-intentioned and loving parents.

A couple of my young relatives are siblings who experienced this kind of childhood and teenage years. Both now have obvious issues: they tend to speak in shallow sound-bites, making conversation in any depth difficult, despite their intelligence. Probing the sound-bites for more confirming reasons for their opinions only angers them (one especially). They both seem extremely immature for their ages and act and talk as if they are in their late teens rather than a decade or more older. It's very frustrating and very sad...

But I don't think any one of these young relatives represents their entire generation, any more than I represent my own entire generation. I try to view and relate to each of them as individuals, just as I would anyone else, regardless of age. I do worry about the two I described, but they both live faraway from me and I seldom see them as a result. Just sad to see so much potential going so astray (and I don't mean politically, but just living an independent adult life of reasonable content and ambition). But they're not their whole generation, just sad examples of parental good intentions not being sufficient to raise functional young adult kids.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 04-01-2019 at 02:30 PM..

Old 04-01-2019, 02:12 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
I'm in Generation X and I can't help but laugh at all of this ridiculousness between Millennials and Boomers.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:23 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I'm a millennial and I don't take offense to what boomers generalize us with because most of it is true. Then again. They're the ones who educated us from kindergarten through college...
They're the ones who protected their jobs from competition requiring a college degree then flipping the script to college degree and x years worth of expirience for consideration for the position...

In comparison to the tide pod generation behind us... we look damn good.

I don't have the problems this generation has because I have always questioned what I was being taught and I always planned ahead. Most confuse me for being a boomer or older.
I was raised like it were the 50s or 60s so... Yeah it's tough to relate to the majority of their complaints against the generation as a whole... when I side primarily with them in most of their arguments and observations...
However... I do point out where we are valid and I can prove how it is partially or even entirely, their fault. See above about college and careers.
A lot of boomers insisted their kids get a 4 year degree so as they flooded the employment market, companies got pickier and chose them first, then started making it a requirement. Boomers also didn't object to using credit cards and debt to buy luxuries and didn't save as their parents did, at least later boomers. They could be pretty snotty about it too. They were a lot like millennial hipsters.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:27 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I agree those were all great things.

And yet, the boomer generation also somehow produced (and elected) Trump.

Just goes to show that generational statements mean very little.
Same could be said about Bill Clinton, who's the same age. Except this would be wrong, in both cases.

I didn't know Trump's parents were boomers. They're the ones who "produced" him, not me and my entire generation, many of whom chose to vote for fellow boomer Hillary Clinton instead.

Members of the generation just before the boomers were largely Trump voters. They fell between the boomers and the "greatest generation", who are just about gone now - the smaller generation who were teenagers in the mid-forties and early fifties, and who now are often viewed as old fogies. They supported Trump in larger proportions than did the boomers, who were born just after WWII (starting in 1946) and during the fifties.

The Boomers experienced first-hand the Civil Rights movement, the war in Viet Nam, hippie-dom, the environmental movement...few Trumpites came out of those backgrounds. Some, yes, of course, but not the majority. Trump was sheltered from all of these things during his younger years, very clearly - not just as Cadette Bone Spurs, but with no involvement or apparent interest in any of these things which were so iconic and so influential to the majority of baby boomers.

Sad...the country and the world might be better places if Trump had experienced things outside his Golden Shell back then..

Old 04-01-2019, 02:33 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
"Baby Boomers: Baby boomers were born between 1944 and 1964.
Gen X: Gen X was born between 1965 - 1979
Gen Y: Gen Y, or Millennials, were born between 1980 and 1994.
Gen Z: Gen Z is the newest generation to be named and were born between 1995 and 2015"
I've seen the start year for millennials as 1980, 1981, and 1984. It isn't an exact science. It has to do with what was going on during people's lives, which tended to shape them culturally and politically.

I was born in 1980. But I don't like the Generation X'ers or Millennials. The generation x'ers are too materialistic, and millennials are degenerates.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:47 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Why do millennials complain about boomers? Learn history instead of trying to wipe it out...

Every generation has different crap to deal but millennials act as if they are the only generation to have crap to deal with.
Are you kidding? Millenials get bashed far more by the boomers than the other way around. The boomer-hate is merely the backlash to that.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:19 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
Boomers and millennials are as different as chalk and cheese, so it's no surprise they complain about each other.

I'm a millennial. I don't hate boomers, but I do hate them when they start complaining about my generation and fail to realize how much easier they had things.

Boomers are generally more conservative, whereas millennials are more liberal, so this is problem #1. Boomers entered the job market when jobs were plentiful, and when having a college degree wasn't necessary for success, housing was cheap, and the overall cost of living was lower.

Millennials entered the job market between 9/11 and a recession/housing crisis. Our boomer parents told us "you have to go to college because getting an education is the most important thing". Many of us shouldn't have gone to college, but instead should have gone to a trade school. Our parents told us not to worry about our field of study, but instead "just study what you enjoy". Now we are mocked for having $100K in debt from an art degree.

In 2019, you pretty much have to live in a medium or larger city to get a good job. These cities have astronomical housing prices, so being able to afford a house in these places is out of the question. Even if housing prices are more reasonable, being able to save for a downpayment is out of the question.

Because so many of us are stuck paying student loans and high rent prices, we cannot afford to buy a home or even start a family.

And to top it all off, us millennials are stuck paying taxes to cover boomer social security and pensions. At this rate, us millennials might not have social security by the time we are ready to retire.

Lastly, boomer politicians have little understanding of technology, something millennials are very passionate about.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:33 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,833 times
If Millennials have accrued so much debt that's their damn problem. I knew people who used student loans for everything, new computers, better apartments, car mods, etc... not even mentioning the ones who were involved in illicit activities like drug dealing.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:46 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Boomers are generally more conservative, whereas millennials are more liberal, so this is problem #1. Boomers entered the job market when jobs were plentiful, and when having a college degree wasn't necessary for success, housing was cheap, and the overall cost of living was lower.
Millennials are actually both much further to the left of boomers and much further to the right. Boomers are a bunch of materialistic, right-of-center cucks, who have been spoiled but think young people should be more grateful

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Because so many of us are stuck paying student loans and high rent prices, we cannot afford to buy a home or even start a family.

And to top it all off, us millennials are stuck paying taxes to cover boomer social security and pensions. At this rate, us millennials might not have social security by the time we are ready to retire.
I would pity millennials but they are just butthurt because they don't have it easy. So they've decided that the world owes them. They may rant about a "revolution", but they just want freebies, to be irresponsible, and behave like degenerates.

They pretend to be "woke", but they are really just brainwashed with extreme cognitive-dissonance and confirmation-bias. A bunch of narcissists who imagine they are morally-superior. What a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies