Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 12:34 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
This is something that Uber, Lyft and others are going to have to address sooner or later.
How? Uber and Lyft had nothing to do with it. This was a homicidal madman who lured a girl into his car, locked her in, and killed her. He'd never had anything to do with Uber or Lyft, there was no way they could have seen him coming, known about him or what he was doing, or check him somehow. You might as well demand the Boy Scouts "address it sooner or later".
Quote:
At least with regular cabbies, there was some way to identify them.
There were? There's a way to tell that some guy has painted up his car to look like a cab, and forged a cabbie's ID with his home computer? And set out looking for a young girl he could trap?

No. With a cabbie, there's no way to tell if the guy who pulls up, has done that.

But with an Uber, there IS a way. When you phone for a ride, Uber sends you a message telling you the driver's name, the description of his car, the license plate number. Long before the Uber driver ever shows up at your door.

If a car pulls up and the driver says he's from Uber, look at his license plate. Is it the same as what Uber sent you? Check the car, does it match the description Uber sent you? Ask the driver's name. Does he give the name Uber sent you? There's a reason why Uber sent you those things.

You're a lot safer getting an Uber than getting a cab. Unless you deliberately refuse to check anything they sent you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 12:37 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Here come the lawmakers --
Quote:
Representative Seth Rose (D-Richland) says he will be filing a bill Tuesday that would mandate ride-sharing companies have illuminating signage.
Quote:
Seth Rose
@SethRoseSC
Samantha’s father said he wants everyone to remember her name— this bill requiring illuminated signage for ride-sharing vehicles will be named the ”Samantha L. Josephson Ridesharing Safety Act”.
Governor and lawmakers react to kidnapping and murder of UofSC student

Old 04-02-2019, 12:41 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I don't wait for them to ask. I drive Uber and Lyft. And when I get a ride request, I drive to the address given. And I roll down the window and say, "Hi, I'm Benjamin the Uber driver, and I'm looking for Janelle.", or whatever name the app has given me.

If the rider is sober enough to remain standing, he's sober enough to notice that's his name. Or notice it WASN'T his name, and able to say "Hey, that's not me."

Simplest check in the world. And they guy needs to be sober enough to back off if the driver tries to get him into the car anyway - something no Uber/Lyft driver would ever do once the guy said, "Hey, that's not me".

He also had plenty of time to look at my car, and its front or rear plate, and notice it did or didn't match what his app told him.

How could Uber or Lyft make it any easier or safer? Other than putting the drunk passenger in a big baby carriage and have his mother push him around while he's asking for a ride?

Yes. And it's not something for government to do. The onus is on the guy looking for a ride, to use the simple, easy safety checks Uber and Lyft have provided and urged him to use. If he doesn' do that, no government can help protect him from predatory murderers like the slime in South Carolina. The govt isn't his mother and father.
That's usually what happens -- they say my name. You can follow the car on your phone and it is very specific. You SEE the car when it pulls up next to you -- it shows you on your phone. The driver usually says my name......I check then to see if is the guy on my phone.

But the young lady was anxious to get home, got complacent, wasn't feeling unsafe.

UGH.......could have, would have, should have.........

It seems to me that this area of town seems to result in some tragedy every few years. The kids let down their guard, forget they aren't in the secure community of their college and out in the real world. I hate it -- I hate these life lessons.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Many of the cars now have this already. I think it is just an extension of that.

After a tragedy the family, the friends, folks seem to need to do something positive.

Sad but most likely this lady wouldn't have noticed the light in the front either.

She didn't track on her phone, didn't ask the driver name....she made a mistake.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Here come the lawmakers --

Quote:
Representative Seth Rose (D-Richland) says he will be filing a bill Tuesday that would mandate ride-sharing companies have illuminating signage.
Governor and lawmakers react to kidnapping and murder of UofSC student
I have one. Got it on eBay, anybody can, you don't need to be an Uber driver. Including the slime who murderered the girl in South Carolina. Could have made it myself, they're not hard, but didn't have time.

Murderers can get them as easily as I did.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+sign&_sacat=0

How will this law prevent any such murders?

Thanks for nothing, legislators. You're using the horrible murder of a young girl to score points with your base ("See? I did something about it! Vote for me!"), while doing nothing that actually protects the people of your state.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I have one. Got it on eBay, anybody can. Including the slime who murderered the girl in South Carolina. Could have made it myself, they're not hard, but didn't have time.

Murderers can get them as easily as I did.

How will this law prevent any such murders?

Thanks for nothing, legislators. You're using the horrible murder of a young girl to score points with your base, while doing nothing to protect the people of your state.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+sign&_sacat=0
I was wondering if you can get them anywhere.

Track the car on your phone.

I think I mentioned this earlier. One lady calls her driver once he pulls up -- if he answers the phone she knows it is him.

simpler, check the plate, ask the guy who he is picking up........

Old 04-02-2019, 12:53 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
There are 1,422 Uber/Lyft signs on Ebay right now with prices starting at $13.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
One lady calls her driver once he pulls up -- if he answers the phone she knows it is him.
Excellent idea. And simple.

Quote:
simpler, check the plate, ask the guy who he is picking up........
Ditto.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
There are 1,422 Uber/Lyft signs on Ebay right now with prices starting at $13.
I also did a screen shot of an Uber/Lyft sign, printed it out on my home computer, cut it out and taped it in my back window.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:15 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,818 times
Its a very sad thing. I doubt that she would have noticed a Uber sign since she got into the car so fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3QNN303OzY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies