Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 02:48 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,514,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
15 an hour? good, lets put struggling seniors back to work, that's what it will do. Even seniors with some money looking for something to do will get an opportunity for part-time work
Are you being facetious? Even if they're paying $15 an hour to stack the shelves or scoop fries into a bag, I don't think it's realistic to expect 80-year-olds to have the stamina do that.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:50 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,881,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So in effect, reducing our military strength is preferable to putting a stop to the billions we spend on people who are in this country in violation of U.S. laws?
How much does the military need? We already spend more than the next 10 countries combined, and still Trump is increasing their budget yet again, even though the Pentagon never requested it. Meanwhile, those damn seniors should eat cat food and be glad for it. The MIC beast needs MORE, MORE, MORE!

Old 04-01-2019, 02:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
So in effect, reducing our military strength is preferable to putting a stop to the billions we spend on people who are in this country in violation of U.S. laws?

Obama had our troop levels down to the lowest point since WWII. Thanks, but no thanks.
No he didn't. I wish he had but if you are going to start a topic and want discussion don't just make things up. You can't have troops in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Yemen and all of the rest of the standard places and have what you said as true.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:53 PM

20,153 posts, read 9,043,504 times
Quote:
Are you being facetious? Even if they're paying $15 an hour to stack the shelves or scoop fries into a bag, I don't think it's realistic to expect 80-year-olds to have the stamina do that.
80 no, but those 55 to 70 will. Even if they have money and just want to get out of the house for a few hours a day. I see seniors working in fast food all the time.

Here you go, hate to ruin your ill-conceived idea for you. They're even actively recruiting them.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fast...nagers-2018-11

Old 04-01-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
there was an physicist that say, for every action there is an opposite but equal reactions. I thing that where the saying "**** happens"

so wages go up, nothing can be done about it but the equal and opposite reaction, people quit spending money
My point is.....half of all elderly are living cut to the bone as it is. They are living in rundown apartments, often not having enough for adequate food, and look twice at every nickel before they spend it. They will take two buses and walk six blocks rather than spend $6 on a cab. How much more should they cut?

(PLenty of the people in my grandmother's building were poor immigrants - who came in LEGALLY 60 years earlier - and were living hand to mouth. I just don't get why liberals care so much more about illegal aliens than elderly citizens who have paid their dues.)

Old 04-01-2019, 02:55 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,437,898 times
Quote:

Obama had our troop levels down to the lowest point since WWII. Thanks, but no thanks.

In effect, finding/arresting/prosecuting/jailing those who choose to hire/profit from those in this country illegally would go far to cutting down the numbers of those in the country illegally.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:56 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,690,507 times
Quote:

Let the argument commence:
Certainly a tired old argument and not worthy of debating...other than noting that SS and such are adjusted for inflation.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
80 no, but those 55 to 70 will. Even if they have money and just want to get out of the house for a few hours a day. I see seniors working in fast food all the time.

Here you go, hate to ruin your ill-conceived idea.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fast...nagers-2018-11
Those aren't elderly - the people in their mid 50s and 60s. I am talking about the real elderly - those 80 and up - who will suffer from a big wage hike for unskilled people.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:57 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
My point is.....half of all elderly are living cut to the bone as it is. They are living in rundown apartments, often not having enough for adequate food, and look twice at every nickel before they spend it. They will take two buses and walk six blocks rather than spend $6 on a cab. How much more should they cut?

(PLenty of the people in my grandmother's building were poor immigrants - who came in LEGALLY 60 years earlier - and were living hand to mouth. I just don't get why liberals care so much more about illegal aliens than elderly citizens who have paid their dues.)
They won't have to if we quit using their money for free to prop up the stock market. They were told to be responsible and save. To put your money away and you will be able to supplement your income on interest on the savings. Wall Street then screwed them over by paying nothing on their savings so they could boost the markets to make sure they can afford their second homes.

Raise the interest rates, minimum wage and everyone at the bottom of the scale will do a bit better.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:58 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,437,898 times
Quote:
Those aren't elderly - the people in their mid 50s and 60s. I am talking about the real elderly - those 80 and up - who will suffer from a big wage hike for unskilled people.

What "unskilled people" do you believe those 80 and up depend on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies