Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 05:08 PM

1,877 posts, read 677,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
"Of Americans" not a bunch of limousine liberals and their minion welfare class.
Really? Is that the best argument available? So anybody waiting any change is either a super rich oligarch or a welfare recipient? C'mon you can do better than that surely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 05:13 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Please explain why the electoral college needs to go and how the smaller states and rural areas dont matter?
Also, why didnt't abolishing of the college come up when democrats won elections?

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/el.../01/id/909701/
The interest of each person in our country is important. Geographical areas should not be granted more political and voting power, just because of their expanse of sparsely-populated territory.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:52 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The interest of each person in our country is important. Geographical areas should not be granted more political and voting power, just because of their expanse of sparsely-populated territory.
There are also regional interests. That is what the EC is designed to protect. It was a good idea in 1787, and it's a good idea now.

I wish we had an EC system at the state level here. A few years ago, Seattle Seahawks owner Paul Allen wanted a new tax-funded stadium. A statewide vote was held, and 29 of 39 counties voted it down. But 10 high-population counties around Seattle voted yes, and the measure passed by 51%. Allen, then the 6th richest man in the world, got his $1 billion worth of welfare money.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:15 PM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
But is it such a bad thing if the candidate most people vote for gets elected?
"Most people" are idiots.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
So farmers should get double votes? That doesn't seem to make sense, lots of people do useful things in an economy but you don't get extra votes depending on what job you do.

Nobody gets "double votes".

Where do you even get this nonsense?

Old 04-02-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
And I'll say it again the founders were wrong.

And I'll say it again, why don't you follow through on the big Dem threat to move to Canada?

Don't like the way the Founders set up the Constitution?

.......then get it amended the Constitutional way, or don't let the door hit you in the ass at the border.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:43 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Ok, so look at the voting age population of those MSAs, you're not going to get a result where the top 5 make up a majority of the US electorate, if anything the proportion of voters in those areas would be lower as the big metro areas have bigger proportions of non-citizens who can't vote.

The idea that any candidate could win based only on voters in the top 5 metro areas is just plain wrong.
Right after I submitted my posts I noticed I wrote "metropolitan areas" (because I was thinking of the lopsided voting trends of the metros), so I went in to edit my post to read "States" instead of metropolitan areas, and submitted, but I guess it didn't go through.

Your responses are factually correct, but unfortunately they don't reflect what I intended write. Sorry about that.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:57 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
People vote. States don't vote except in some peculiar 18th century vestigial tool to control and limit the voice of the people. That tool is long outmoded and unnecessary, if it ever was. The Senate was, at one time, filled with people who were not elected by the people but were selected by the state legislatures. We got rid of that a long time ago and the Electoral College needs to go as well.

A person's vote in Wyoming carries the same weight as a person in Pennsylvania. The argument that without the EC a candidate won't visit a small state is a ridiculous reason to keep it. A two-hour stop over in East Podunk in some tiny state will not somehow infuse the candidate with clear insight into the local issues. It works just the opposite. Some clown shows up harping about a wall and the locals forget all about their poisoned water supply or farm foreclosures or job losses.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:29 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
People vote. States don't vote except in some peculiar 18th century vestigial tool to control and limit the voice of the people. That tool is long outmoded and unnecessary, if it ever was. The Senate was, at one time, filled with people who were not elected by the people but were selected by the state legislatures. We got rid of that a long time ago and the Electoral College needs to go as well.

A person's vote in Wyoming carries the same weight as a person in Pennsylvania. The argument that without the EC a candidate won't visit a small state is a ridiculous reason to keep it. A two-hour stop over in East Podunk in some tiny state will not somehow infuse the candidate with clear insight into the local issues. It works just the opposite. Some clown shows up harping about a wall and the locals forget all about their poisoned water supply or farm foreclosures or job losses.

That's a local issue. A wall is a national issue. The president presides over national interests, not your local ones.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:59 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
you are almost right. The Founders fully intended to create a system that suppressed the mob. The founders wrote extensively about this. they understood that Direct Democracy was "Mob Rule" and they spoke about the fact that the meaning of "Mob Rule" was "he who controls the mob, RULES"
So nearly every time the mob has prevailed in the Electoral College and by huge margins as Trump did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies