Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 11:10 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Perhaps they got it wrong on this one, they did get other stuff wrong too, constitutions can always be changed if they are no longer fit for purpose, that's what amendments are for.
What happens if a candidate didn't win a majority (more than 50%) and won only the plurality? Given the prevalence of third-party candidates, this is quite likely, as was the case with

Bill Clinton, who won only a plurality (43%) of the popular vote,
Hillary Clinton, who also won a plurality (48%) of the votes.

Would we then elect our president based on plurality, as opposed to a majority vote? This would lead to more problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 11:12 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
But is it such a bad thing if the candidate most people vote for gets elected?
so when two wolves and one sheep vote for whats for dinner, you think its ok that the wolves vote to eat the sheep...

Trump got the most votes in 30 of 50 states..... trump won the MAJORITY of the country

Old 04-02-2019, 11:16 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
But they would still have a voice, it would be related to the numbers of people they had living there?

I posted this earlier....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, just so we are clear here...New York, New York has a population of 8.5M....

That's more than the following 9 states (these are average numbers):

Wyoming (577K)
Vermont (626K)
Alaska (737k)
North Dakota (760k)
South Dakota (882k)
Rhode Island (1m)
Montana (1m)
Maine (1.3M)
New Hampshire (1.3m)

8.1m people in 9 states vs, 1 city within a state that has 8.5m people...yea, that sounds perfectly legit....

https://www.movematcher.com/blog/top...-s-population/

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li..._by_population

1 city has the ability to nullify 9 other states votes.....

Old 04-02-2019, 11:19 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,421,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Yes the poor are doing so well thats why life expectancy has declined in the US. Thats not the sign of a healthy nation and having a big screen tv or a iphone doesn't change that.
You are implying that life expectancy declined because poor Americans are dying of starvation.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:20 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Said another way:You want access to other peoples money without working for it
Exactly.

I'd be open to discussing the idea of abolishing it IF we also address "taxation without representation." As it stands, people that don't pay taxes get one vote. People that do pay taxes get one vote. That means the person that is paying taxes is being taxed without representation.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:20 AM

1,877 posts, read 677,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
What happens if a candidate didn't win a majority (more than 50%) and won only the plurality? Given the prevalence of third-party candidates, this is quite likely, as was the case with

Bill Clinton, who won only a plurality (43%) of the popular vote,
Hillary Clinton, who also won a plurality (48%) of the votes.

Would we then elect our president based on plurality, as opposed to a majority vote? This would lead to more problems.
You could do like they do in France, the top two then run off in a second vote. Or have a single transferable vote where voters rank candidates in preference order, plenty of countries do that.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:22 AM

1,877 posts, read 677,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Exactly.

I'd be open to discussing the idea of abolishing it IF we also address "taxation without representation." As it stands, people that don't pay taxes get one vote. People that do pay taxes get one vote. That means the person that is paying taxes is being taxed without representation.
How do you avoid paying all taxes? That must be difficult what with sales taxes, property taxes, FICA, state income taxes, booze taxes, gas taxes etc etc.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:23 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
The Electoral College was put there to compensate for the tyranny of the majority, something seen in every third-world hellhole calling itself a "democracy." It's important that smaller states and their interests matter, too.

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
So farmers should get double votes? That doesn't seem to make sense, lots of people do useful things in an economy but you don't get extra votes depending on what job you do.
The vote of one farmer is more important than the votes of 10 welfare mothers in SF or NYC.
There, I said it.

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
Why should states with small populations have a larger say than urban areas? Strikes me as preferential treatment. Of course I’m not a fan of individual state’s rights/laws either. As far as I’m concerned, if this is the UNITED States, the laws should be federal, not State determined. Thankfully I will be exiting the U.S. within months of the 2020 election so, should my fear of tRump winning a second term come true, at least I will be able to view the dysfunction from a comfortable distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies