Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 06:29 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I remember pre ACA. My mom couldnt even afford to see a Dr., and had no idea she was sick from cancer. Eventually her cancer metastasized, and killed her. In any developed country she would have lived. In the US now with ACA she would have lived. But we're getting ready to cancel the ACA. And theres no replacement.

Our insurance system is inefficient, expensive, and rarely has better results. We pay twice what other countries do, and we're not getting better results. We're doing it wrong.
This is just pure BS. I'm sure she had Medicare so......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 07:53 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's not the whole story.

Britain's unfunded liabilities through 2040, meaning what they'll have to pay for pension and health care benefits is 75% of their GDP.

France also has very high liabilities, and they recently took actions. France slashed pensions from 50% to 37.5%, then raised the retirement age, then increase the number of years need to qualify for pensions by 7 years and 8 years for those born 1973 or later.

Americans only gave to work 35 years, but French now have to work 42 or 43 years (depending on date of birth).

And still, France's liabilities are at 85% of GDP.

France will most likely slash pensions again from 37.5% to 32.5% or 32.0% in order to pay for it.

That's with even higher taxes.

Britain is going to have to increase taxes and cut, reduce or eliminate pension and health care benefits to pay for it.

I feel terribly for the Italians, because they're at 300% of GDP. Italy will have to have massive tax increases and massive cuts to pensions and health care to pay for it.

Germany claims its unfunded liabilities are only 80% of GDP, but a number of independent sources, including the Market Economy Foundation and the EU Central Bank put it at 276% and 228% of GDP respectively.

Massive tax increases coupled with massive cuts in benefits.

EU member-States suffer the same problem as the US: a growing number of retired persons and fewer workers to support them.
"Americans only gave to work 35 years,"

Don't know where you got this from.

About 30% of americans do NOT go to college and start work right out of high school. Average is 18.

At 62 they can start to collect SS, that is 44 YEARS of working.

At 65 you can get Medicare. That is 47 years of working.

If they go to college for 4 years that is 40 years working before SS and and 43 year working before Medicare.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:03 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Americans only gave to work 35 years,"

Don't know where you got this from.

About 30% of americans do NOT go to college and start work right out of high school. Average is 18.

At 62 they can start to collect SS, that is 44 YEARS of working.

At 65 you can get Medicare. That is 47 years of working.

If they go to college for 4 years that is 40 years working before SS and and 43 year working before Medicare.
Retirement? What is that? The 2 old women who live above me are still working age 70+. That is the new normal.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I remember pre ACA. My mom couldnt even afford to see a Dr., and had no idea she was sick from cancer. Eventually her cancer metastasized, and killed her. In any developed country she would have lived. In the US now with ACA she would have lived. But we're getting ready to cancel the ACA. And theres no replacement.

Our insurance system is inefficient, expensive, and rarely has better results. We pay twice what other countries do, and we're not getting better results. We're doing it wrong.

"My mom couldnt even afford to see a Dr."

Why didn't YOU pay for her? Are you too CHEAP? Oh wait, you want the rest of US to pay for her and NOT YOU!

" In any developed country she would have lived."

Not necessarily. There ARE long waiting times in other countries.

I had a dear friend DENIED cancer treatment because of her age in one of those countries with national healthcare.

"Our insurance system is inefficient, expensive"

Mine is NOT. It only went UP after OCare went into affect. And by the way this year it went DOWN because of some of the things OCare MANDATED were eliminated. My wife just went through cancer treatments and our cost were minimal.

" We pay twice what other countries do", NOT when you add up ALL the taxes they pay.

I CONTROL my insurances and health care, NOT some gov't bureaucrat!

Rather the FORCING US to take some uncontrollable gov't system, the VA, Medicare and Medicaid are doing SO well, MOST PREFER NOT to get the fed involved.

If YOU like it, and want it so m much, move to a country that has it and leave the rest of us ALONE!

Old 04-03-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I am so sorry about your Mother. That is so sad, and it's ridiculous that it happened in the Richest Country in the world.
But the greed of our Wealthest and the Greed of our Corporations knows no bounds.
One of the most heartbreaking articles that I have ever read was
A double diagnosis...having Cancer while poor

Meanwhile in America.....
The US spends over $10,000 a year per Capita on health care, way more than any other Country.
https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/...es/#item-start

We spend more than double than what the UK does on healthcare. Yet our life expectancy is lower than all other industrialized countries. Could it be that in America the poor just die, while the Rich can afford health care?

Check out the life expectancy chart....here

Our life expectancy is 78.8...in Japan it's 83.9, Switzerland 83, 82.5 in Australia, over 82 in Sweden and France.
Germany 80.7 and in the UK 81...If our health care is so superior why is every one else in the world living longer than
we do? The same for Infant Mortality Rates.

We aren't even consider one of the top ten countries as far as health care goes -the World Health Organization ranks
us at 37.
World Health Organization’s Ranking of the World’s Health Systems | thepatientfactor.com

So for all the money we spend in this country on health care, our results are not very effective.[/quote]

"That is so sad, and it's ridiculous that it happened in the Richest Country in the world.
But the greed of our Wealthest and the Greed of our Corporations knows no bounds.
One of the most heartbreaking articles that I have ever read was>

Why didn't you ATTACK the poster for NOT ponying up and pay for her doctor?

Instead you attack EVERYBODY ELSE. That is so sad, and it's ridiculous that it happened.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Retirement? What is that? The 2 old women who live above me are still working age 70+. That is the new normal.
"Retirement? What is that?"

The retirement the poster was talking about! Duh!

" That is the new normal." B.S.

"The average retirement age in the United States among currently living retirees was 59.88 years old. The median living retiree left work at 62 years old, and the most common age to retire was 62 years old. 18.7% of retirees retired at age 62, and a whopping 63.1% retired between the ages of 57 and 66."

https://dqydj.com/average-retirement...united-states/

"
By Dana Anspach
Updated March 12, 2019

U.S. Census Bureau data shows that the average retirement age in the United States comes is around age 63. Age 63, however, would be considered an early retirement age as far as how your Social Security and Medicare benefits are determined. "

https://www.thebalance.com/average-r...states-2388864

'American retirement expectations may take into account this average retirement length from the Census. While young Americans aged 18-29 expect to retire at 63, a 2018 Gallup survey says that the average American predicts retirement at age 66.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:45 AM

1,877 posts, read 677,685 times
Quote:
" We pay twice what other countries do", NOT when you add up ALL the taxes they pay.
Yes, when taking into account tax funding for healthcare plus insurance premiums and out of pocket payments the US pays waaaay more than other countries.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:46 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
EU member-States suffer the same problem as the US: a growing number of retired persons and fewer workers to support them.
Which can be shortened to: "all welfare states must answer to math at some point."

Old 04-03-2019, 09:39 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
That is of course not true.

It's math, and you can hate Barack Obama all you want, it's still a fact: Americans pay more and get less. But look at the bright side; You have the highest administrative overhead. Think of all of those nice paper-shuffling people in the insurance business who get their cut before as much as an aspirin is handed out.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:45 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
I CONTROL my insurances and health care, NOT some gov't bureaucrat!
Nope, you have a private bureaucrat whose end-year bonus depends on how little he can get away with paying you.

Before ACA, you even had private bureaucrats who got bonuses for cutting off treatment altogether! Cancer patients were awesome for that, because if you can play the delaying game for just a few years, the problem tends to go away on its own.

Yes, health care insurers did that. Yes, it was legal.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 04-03-2019 at 09:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies