Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 06:28 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod2828 View Post
Please take just a moment and read the title of all the threads posted today..

Ok, what do they all have in common?

They are all negative. With all the great things going on in America and elsewhere why do we cling to the negatives? Does it make you feel better about your life complaining about someone elses? Does placing anger, frustration and blame on someone or something else make you feel better about yourself?

It's odd. The media reports mostly the negatives but that's because it gives them higher ratings. The papers report the negatives because they sell more papers that way.

But why, when none of us have any financial stake on a internet forum, still only discuss the negatives.

I created a post earlier about how the middle class is making more money, not less, and that is why it is shrinking. Kind of an upbeat article that things aren't that bad. And yet, all my responses were that the world is ending and I am wrong and everyone is poor and the govt is to blame.

I just think things aren't that bad and a lot of good things happening aren't being reported.. and the fact that they aren't even being reported on internet forums makes me wonder if the liberal media has truly brainwashed us.
Correct me if I'm confused.........But this is the Politics and Other Controversies forum is it not?????????? Or is it the Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy forum? Look There are plenty of positive post on most City Data forums but this is not a forum that lends itself to being on the positive end of issues. This is the forum where we have our Internet throwdowns over the issues of the day. And I like it. I like it alot because when two good poster get to Pointing to Counter pointing each other think can get interesting. And hey, if your not to closed minded to all possible point of view, you may just end up learning something new from this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 08:22 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
No, that would require a work ethic and integrity. No doubt not desirable traits for those who would wallow and whine about how bad they have it. That is so much easier.
The 18-year old girl marries her high school sweetheart. At 23, with two kids and a third on the way, he skips. She's got no money, no job, no education, no family, and no work experience. Just the 2½ kids. Tell that girl what a whiner she is.

Quote:
Attempting a win at the lottery also much easier.
No one said it was hard. The crime is that this is quite literally the best shot that some people have.

Quote:
But my hat off to the guy with the winning ticket. Hope he will be one of the responsible ones and not squander it away in a year or two.
Well, considering he already has a couple of acres in one of the more upscale areas in Northern Virginia, I don't think he'll really be able to squander it all. Maybe he'll buy some more artwork or something. Had it been me, I'd have dropped it all on some worthwhile cause...you know, the ACLU, Planned Parenthood, Doctors Without Borders, Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting, the Mexican-American Legal Defense Fund...there's more. Lots more...

Last edited by saganista; 04-12-2008 at 08:35 PM..

Old 04-12-2008, 08:27 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Some people, in fact, would blame Wal-Mart for the weakening economy, since they choose to use strong-arm business tactics and union-busting labor practices, and pass on the social costs to... (drumroll) ... the American taxpayers and society at large.
You have the WalMart M.O. pegged pretty accurately. Low prices...always low prices. Because we use our market-share as an extortion-lever to pressure suppliers to cut their costs and externalize all of our own costs that we possibly can...

Old 04-13-2008, 12:34 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Republicans have held the White House for 28 of the past 40 years. Republicans have held congress for 14 of the past 16 years. The supreme court is firmly conservative.

Yet you make reference to "liberal power."

What have the Republicans done with all these years of controlling the national agenda? How have they effectively addressed social ills? Have they done much of anything other than trying to shift the blame for working on these problems to some nebulous "liberal agenda"?

Ah, yes...

The "poor are lazy" argument.

Home life of working poor grueling - Michigan News, Updates, Photos & Video | Detroit, Lansing - MLive.com
Bless you. Thanks so much for telling that person how very, very, wrong he was.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:36 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
People are negitive becuase they're not finding what makes them happy. People here, especally Liberals, always seem to be fixated on who wronged them and why. Who wants to spend life as a hater?
Just more scapgoating of liberals. I am a liberal and I absolutely resent it.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:38 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
IMHO i am sure you intended it to be positive, however a thread devoted to the shrinking of the middle class a sacred american cow, is, i dont think, is going to be viewed by most as a mr rodgers post.
the face of the audience never lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies