Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 01:20 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It doesn't matter. The Debate is over. The Science is settled. It has been revealed as a HOAX and SCAM. Nobody cares anymore, as none of the predictions came true, nor will they unless nature (the Sun) decides they will.

The Man Made Climate Change proponents will just have to reveal themselves for what they are. Communists, and that is occurring nationally. The curtain has been pulled back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Wrong, the science is settled that climate change is real except in the mind of deniers who are sadly victims of minds polluted with junk science and greed. They refuse to acknowledge the obvious.

Wonderful examples of how we talk past each other. You each probably think the other is dumb.

BTW, science is never settled, ever.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:21 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Let's try not to confuse them with facts. They are already distraught enough without breaking up their cherished narratives to boot.
Oh please, it's beyond naïve to think that the government and corporations are going to use "Global Change" to line their pockets. How many millions did Obama give away to "Green" companies and how many of those companies still exist today???

Old 04-03-2019, 01:22 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I get a little concerned about people who don't care what other people think about them, especially when they go on and describe the sort of behavior you describe, that you go "out of your way" to enjoy.

And why? "Because ultimately they cannot do anything to me."

Now there's some thinking that deserves a choice label or two, but of course with some people, all that really matters to them is them! You must love this forum that provides a similar "safe place" where no one can do anything to anyone about what they think or do...

Your example of gassing everyone is much like someone who fahts in a room without thinking twice. Right! What can anyone do about such a person (other than avoid them whenever possible)?
I've NEVER been called a racist or a bigot. Just saying, but I have been accused of a thing or two without justification. I always care enough what others think to address false accusations. Easy enough for me in any case. If not, maybe the label fits better than we think it does...
I don’t waste my time worrying about what people may think of me. Some call me rude and crude, not worth getting weirded out about it. If I have to fart, I fart.

As for gassing those people, they were trespassing on private property. They got what they deserved.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:32 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
You know darn well we are talking about man-made climate change and feigning ignorance on that issue does not help your cause.

Anthropogenic climate change is settled science. There is nothing to be gained anymore arguing with deniers.

The only question is what to do about it.

There is no such thing as "settled science".

Unfortunately, many of the adoring throngs for the concept of AGW have no scientific background whatsoever to understand what constitutes real science. If they did, they would understand the very problematic issues with the hypothesis.

The first and most alarming issue is this:

In real science, one must disprove the null hypothesis before embracing the hypothesis.

This means that one must prove that (within a p<.05) that there are not other factors affecting climate or temperature. If there is not, then we can assume that CO2 is driving "climate". Of course, the null hypothesis has not been disproven, so (by actual science) AGW is an unproven hypothesis.

There are legions of other issues with the hypothesis which defies rational thought and science, ranging from the impossibility by the IR absorbtion spectra of CO2 relative to water, to the fossil data, to comparing temps using 4 different measurements of temps over time, ect..........................

One must consider that most of the planet is covered by water (and thus those areas are where the majority of temps should have been measured). However, detailed temp readings over those areas was only available via satellite data (starting in the 1970s) and this is not a real temp measurement, but a proxy. Thus we have temps prior to 1970 in far different locations, using far different measurements being compared to temps using different instruments and in different locations!

Old 04-03-2019, 01:41 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
And asking you this as an honest question...do you think that people/companies aren't going to jump on this Climate Change bandwagon out of greed?
I don't know if it's greed or just being responsible but many companies including oil companies, car makers, investors and others are aboard.....

Renewable energy sources now account for around a third of all global power capacity, according to new figures published this week by the International Renewable Energy Agency, which revealed 171 gigawatts of new renewable capacity was installed in 2018.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:54 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I don't know if it's greed or just being responsible but many companies including oil companies, car makers, investors and others are aboard.....

Renewable energy sources now account for around a third of all global power capacity, according to new figures published this week by the International Renewable Energy Agency, which revealed 171 gigawatts of new renewable capacity was installed in 2018.
They are ONLY on board when that power source can be 'run thru a meter' though.

Take that away and you would see strong opposition!

Old 04-03-2019, 01:57 PM

1,877 posts, read 677,830 times
Quote:
And asking you this as an honest question...do you think that people/companies aren't going to jump on this Climate Change bandwagon out of greed?
Are you telling us that corporations pumping out carbon dioxide and other emissions implicated in anthropogenic climate change aren't actively sponsoring denial and muddying the waters out of greed? How long did tobacco interests pump money into propaganda and dubious studies denying their product did any harm?

Old 04-03-2019, 02:01 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Are you telling us that corporations pumping out carbon dioxide and other emissions implicated in anthropogenic climate change aren't actively sponsoring denial and muddying the waters out of greed? How long did tobacco interests pump money into propaganda and dubious studies denying their product did any harm?
No doubt there is greed on both sides, but you know what at least I can recognize it! Not once have I seen an answer from the other side to my question. Any why is that?

Old 04-03-2019, 02:09 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Oh please, it's beyond naïve to think that the government and corporations are going to use "Global Change" to line their pockets. How many millions did Obama give away to "Green" companies and how many of those companies still exist today???
The entire world is on board, and yes, it will be costly no matter what. Can't help that.

Selfish cynicism is holding us back from doing the right thing, this cynicism is what is truly naïve.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:22 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
They are ONLY on board when that power source can be 'run thru a meter' though.

Take that away and you would see strong opposition!
That is not wholly true...There are many private folks here that use solar to supplement their power...They are tied to the grid, and when they make more than they use BC Hydro pays them 9.99 cents per kWh for the power they add to the grid. It adds up, as many home owners pocket more that $3,000 per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies