Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 11:36 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Half the illegals in Texas are working in food processing plants and restaurant kitchens all over the state. They have no need to hide out in a sanctuary city.

Until Donald Trump brought it to national attention even the Republican politicians in Texas didn't care about illegals. Hell, if they arrested employers of illegals 1/2 their donors would be in jail.

I figure the children of illegals cost the taxpayers of cities in Texas at least 10K a year in school tax and free lunch. Probably more. That's a high price to pay for .99 a pound chicken breast.
Uh, the Republicans in Texas loved illegals before, during and after Don the Con spewed some BS.

Maybe you haven't been following along? E-Verify has been talked about for 6 years or more...and every time it comes up they shoot it down saying "it will hurt business in texas".

Let me translated that

"It will hurt business" = "we want to suppress wages so the common citizen can't get ahead and we want to make maximum profits no matter what it does to the society at large".

BUT - have things in Texas ever been any different? Not that I see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 11:49 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
When are they going to raid Trump's businesses? It seems many of them have illegals on their payroll.
There's a hotline you can call to report illegals. Have you called in yet?

Old 04-04-2019, 11:52 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,841,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Can you imagine a sweep on Seattle?
No more pot harvesting baristas.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:58 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,328,608 times
Good! I’m sure a lot of them have stolen or fake social security numbers. Mostly stolen.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:01 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
I've never seen an immigration document in my life. How do I know which one is real or fake?

Is there a law I must check out any employee's immigration records before I hire him? How am I to know if he's a citizen or not? Why should I be responsible for that anyway?

If I had a million-dollar crop that needed to be harvested in 2 weeks before the weather closed in, even if I knew all that, I wouldn't give a damn about the law. I would need the workers to get it done. I would hire anyone who showed up willing to work hard.
... and if I broke the law hiring them I would worry about it. Nature doesn't wait around for visas, permits and paperwork.

The same goes if I owned a factory. If I have invested my life into an enterprise and need laborers, I don't care if they are legal or not. All I want is a dependable person who shows up and does the work. No one wins when the goods don't get made and the services are never done.

We need all the labor we can get. There aren't enough citizens alive to do it all. What this country needs is a full overhaul of our immigration system and get it to a place where it is quick and easy for immigrants to come and go back home.

Forcing the illegals to stay here for fear they won't ever be able to come back to work if they leave doesn't help us or them. It only makes a bad situation worse for everyone.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:31 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,115,724 times
Stasi 1

Free-market capitalism 0

Old 04-04-2019, 12:33 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,115,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
You don't think we should enforce laws that prevent employers from giving jobs to illegals over Americans, because it's cheaper? Why are you more concerned with the interests of the illegals than the Americans who would have had a job?
I'm a capitalist. The only purpose/goal of a business is to make profits. The best way to make profit is to keep costs as low as possible.

Why are so you concerned about what private businesses do?

Old 04-04-2019, 12:34 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Immigration officials on Wednesday arrested some 280 employees of a North Texas tech company suspected of knowingly hiring illegal immigrants, the largest such single-company sweep in 11 years.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/im...sts/ar-BBVAP3P

Keep doing your job Homeland Security!

Yeah! Time to hit Trump golf properties!

Old 04-04-2019, 12:42 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
I'm a capitalist. The only purpose/goal of a business is to make profits. The best way to make profit is to keep costs as low as possible.

Why are so you concerned about what private businesses do?
As a private business owner, I wouldn't care either if the illegals and those who hired them were forced to abide by the same housing laws, minimum pay and tax laws as me. They're not. I don't need the competition from cheaters.

I can't legally pay my workers five bucks an hour with all twenty in a two bedroom house. I think it's fine if we all play by the rules.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:44 PM

19,822 posts, read 12,084,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I can point out millions of migrants in Texas and Florida. The biggest raids ever could happen....except the owners of those businesses are currently having drinks and handing large cash envelopes to the GOP legislators.
Migrants are not a problem. We are discussing illegal immigrants. Are you claiming you can spot millions (your words) of illegal immigrants just by looking at them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies