Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2019, 08:18 PM

372 posts, read 220,210 times

Advertisements

From Huff Post Canada about 5 minutes ago.

In yet another staggering display of incompetence and ignorance, Oz parliament has passed draconian laws in response to the NZ mosque shootings.

The Law requires platform such as Facebook to 'quickly remove' any examples of live violence. Failure to comply can result in up to 3 years in prison for executives, and fines of up to 10% of the company's annual turnover.

Can our pollies truly be quite that stupid? Or is this simply a cynical exercise in gaining public approval?

There is a staggering amount of data on such sites sat any given moment ,24 hours, daily. It is not physically possible for human beings to vet all of that information. I'm no techie, so welcome correction. Seems to me that mark Z and others will need to develop new algorithms . I have no idea just how precise they can be.
Neither, I suspect do our politicians.

Platform's response? I'd be willing to bet that in global income, Australia is small potatoes to Facebook etc,.

At the first hint of a prosecution, Facebook et al, will simply close down their Aussie connection, and if possible, strip their assets.--lets see how that goes down with the voters.

From what I can see, my government made no serious effort to liaise with any of the platforms to find a solution within a practical time frame.

A couple of years ago, my government announced it was banning file sharing such as Pirate Bay. They did that. The work around was available within 24 hours. It takes a non techie about 3 minutes, a techie, under a minute. Or so I understand. I may have misunderstood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies