Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2019, 07:20 AM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times

Advertisements

I love it and hope she keeps it up! Most of her brethren don’t even try to be funny, she’s knocking it out of the park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 07:21 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Like SunGrins, I think she's great. She is well educated and razor sharp. Have you listened to her questioning at the various hearings? She gets right to the point, asks the questions no one else has, is more focused and strategic than most of the reps. up there. She asks both Republicans and Democrats to question their long-held opinions and beliefs. I don't fault her for stirring the pot a bit; I think it's healthy. I think it is true that she wants to do everything at once, but she is a 29 year old freshman; the over-enthusiasm is harmless and she will calm as the years go by. But I am really glad she is there.
Great way to sum up the value of new blood in Congress. She is the type of person we want in Congress - to shake things up a bit and get long-time politicians to view new perspectives.

I'd bet that half the people yammering about her being a "newbie" and too young, bla bla bla, are the same people who are screaming about term limits and getting crusty old people out of Congress. You can't have it both ways.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:25 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Condi Rice is heads and shoulders above the other women you name. Wish SHE would run!
I disagree with just about every word that came out of her mouth, but have absolute respect for Michelle in terms of achievement and brains. Nancy is smart like a fox, but also intelligent.

Yes, it would be interesting to see Condoleeza run, but not sure how well she'd do.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:26 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Okay?

No idea.

I am afraid of her. Ask any liberal moron.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:26 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I had two wonderful videos from my grandkids waiting for me when I got home from work last night.
High point of my day.

I do wonder how Ms Ocasio-Cortez communicating with her constituency by video is any different than Trump communicating via Twitter.
Was it the fact that she was multi-tasking that the OP objects to? Or was it that she was able to speak coherently while doing so?
Young people are very adept at doing multiple things at one time. And this young woman clearly has full command of her faculties.
Given what we saw from the president this week, I imagine that might present a rather dispiriting contrast.

Finally, I continue to be greatly amused by all of the people who keep harping in her past employment as a bartender.

I guess all of that talk about how politicians need to be “regular” people was, like so much else, just so much bunk.
Bartending is honest work--I don't see what the problem is.

It's not like she owned a string of country clubs and golf courses that hired so many illegal immigrants, they were able to build a town in their home country.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:29 AM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
https://thefederalist.com/2019/04/04...c0TEXXizJ-EGZI

"Last night, freshman Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez took to Instagram to build Ikea furniture, drink wine, and eat snacks while waxing philosophical on the perils of climate change. Even in today’s strange world, where presidential candidates like Beto O’Rourke post photos of themselves at the dentist, this was a bizarre display.
The oddest moment came when Ocasio-Cortez compared those who oppose her Green New Deal, or at least some kind of aggressive fight against climate change, to people in the 1950s and 1960s who opposed civil rights for black Americans."

How funny can she get. She says the world will end in 12 years but then she says here people's grandkids will be ashamed of them. LOL People are going to be around long enough to have grandkids? She needs to watch the videos of her talking. Maybe cut back on drinking so much wine or something.
She could use a brain transplant to suit her new jo... Wait. Nevermind.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:37 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Right? Maybe they mean articulate for a millennial or for a woman they see as attractive. I don't see that either. She could be an entertainer but she should not be in a position of power.

She is funny but it isn't funny that people take her seriously.
Why?
Because she’s young?

I’d rather someone young who understands the times she is living in right now than someone old(er) who constantly pines for the “good old days” that only existed for a select few.

This country was founded by people in Ms Ocasio-Cortez’ demographic. Some number of them were younger. Alexander Hamilton was 19 in 1776! 19!
And don’t give me that line about how things were different then.
Young people are just as smart and capable now as they were then. It’s their elders who refuse to allow them to be taken seriously and block them at every turn.
How many promising leaders have been thwarted because McConnell, Pelosi and their ilk have decided that being in Congress should be considered a life long appointment?

This insistence that young people shouldn’t be in positions of power is a lie sold by those who want to keep that power for themselves.

Having Congress and the presidency dominated by people in Trump’s age group has done this country no favors.
It’s time for a change.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:38 AM

162 posts, read 62,308 times
I would maybe be less worried about instagram posts from AOC where she attempts to connect with her constituents, and more worried about the tweets from the White House, where major national policy is set on a whim while watching the news.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:38 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Condi Rice is heads and shoulders above the other women you name. Wish SHE would run!
Let me guess, because she's a Republican, right?

Old 04-05-2019, 07:40 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Bartending is honest work--I don't see what the problem is.

It's not like she owned a string of country clubs and golf courses that hired so many illegal immigrants, they were able to build a town in their home country.
It seems when the Pubs said the president should be a "regular person", they really meant "successful" business owner without a law degree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies