Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 08:29 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
........ You should do this on your own because all you are going to get from those on this forum are their opinions and the multiple opinions will often contradict the others opinion....Do your own research and don't go by movies.
Agree but Oldhag1's post (#7) seemed to offer worthwhile data, not opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 09:53 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times
Oh okay. Well as for googling it, google gives a lot of facts in these cases, but they don't really explain if there is any racist motives or not. Plus according to google, a lot of times when a black person is shot by police, it becomes a huge uproar, so I thought maybe something really serious was going on to cause that uproar, that maybe I couldn't find.

I know they are movies, but the movies were still trying to make serious social statements, about the issue, and they were highly critically acclaimed, so if the facts are heavily skewed cause the movies are made by anti-police filmmakers, than why are they critically acclaimed, rather than being criticized as propaganda films, if that's what they are?

Also I suppose the film industry could make a movie about white cops being the heroes and black criminals as the villains, but they never make that movie, so I thought there was a reason why maybe.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:04 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Also I suppose the film industry could make a movie about white cops being the heroes and black criminals as the villains, but they never make that movie, so I thought there was a reason why maybe.
If Hollywood made such a movie and it became popular, then it would likely lead to rioting in the cities of America. Racial issues are a touchy topic in this society.

What country are you from? It is difficult for foreigners to understand American race politics because these kinds of racial dynamics are almost nonexistent in most foreign countries.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:12 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Oh okay.
I guess you never Watched The Wire - where, by all accounts, everyone is a crook and thug (other than a select few in LE).....which is much closer to the real truth.

Most every cop show or other LE show depicts LE as the Hero.

I'm watching Justified right now...the US Marshalls are the heroes and the drug dealers are the bad people.

Do I have that right?

Why are you so interested in Fiction? Your lack of non-fiction (book) knowledge is a bit troubling, but not knowing what "foreign country" you come from I can't say whether that is your fault. Still, if you have internet access you should be able to learn many things.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:24 AM

Oh I'm from Canada. But when it comes to google, in my research in some of these real life cases, they give the who, what, when, but not the why, and that is where I have questions cause the why is not often provided.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:30 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
In my neighborhood in Milwaukee there was one cop who actually walked. Since he was walking, he'd stop and chat with people as he went. I don't think he was different from his fellow cops in most other respects, but because people knew him as a person, if they had a problem or information they'd share it with him, where they'd never contact the nameless, faceless, creepy police station. He also was often able to handle incidents more amicably because he actually had some previous positive interactions with folks so they were more likely to react calmly when he showed up on a call.
About ten years ago, a highly decorated big-city police veteran who was interviewing for police chief in a much smaller city made that observation.

His point: That city was small enough and no area was so poor (or so crime-ridden) that the local officers could not get out of the car and get to know the solid residents of the neighborhood. He said the majority of residents even in the poorest section of that city were working-class people with roots who wanted to live in safety and security. If they believed the officers had the same desire--the safety and security of the residents--they would be cooperative. But not if they got the feeling the officers were simply an occupation force.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:34 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
I'm not American but watch a lot of American movies. You see movies where they deal with white cops shooting unarmed black characters, and they make a statement in the movie that white police oppress the black community that way. Which could be very well true of course, from the observations. Movies like, Blindspotting (2018), The Hate You Give (2018), or Crash (2005), or Widows (2018).

I was wondering, what caused this in the US in the first place. I read about it, and they always talk about the what, who, where, etc. But never the why.

Why are the police more afraid of a suspect having a gun, and going to use that gun, if they are black. Or why are the white police think that black people are more dangerous in general?

Did something cause this historically, like a lot more black crime compared to crimes committed by whites, are is there more of a history of violent crimes from black Americans compared to whites?

I was just wondering what is the cause of the fear in white police, or what is causing it?
they aren't. statistics indicate the cops are more likely to shoot a white guy than a black guy. what you are getting is Hollywood which is decidedly hard left.

and the left has done the math. keeping racial animus stirred up is good for politics.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:36 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
From a black perspective, the history of relationships with police is uniformly negative.

The reason: Police have always been there to enforce the status quo, and the status quo has been historically negative for black people.

And this is not a matter of criminal statistics or even economic status, it's a matter of the police department being the social force to "keep them in their place" in both the north and the south for longer than anyone is now able to remember.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:48 AM

Oh okay, but how is the status quo still negative for black people though in today's times?

Old 04-05-2019, 10:56 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times
I always wonder why people don't claim sexual oppression against men since most of the shootings are men. Its not like black women are getting shot all the time. The race card is so overplayed. People throw common sense out the window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies