Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 03:28 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post

...The solution here isn't to drop the "unarmed" part when it comes to black targets. It's to also include it when it comes to other targets. Generally speaking if a cop has shot someone that's unarmed, regardless of race, something has gone quite wrong with their hiring, or training, performance, backup, etc. There should be bright light shined upon it and the situation thoroughly investigated and action be taken to rectify the root problems to prevent it happening again and bring justice for the dead.

Yes, sometimes the unarmed person who was shot was contributing to the problem in one way or another, but we have due process in this country and something like evading cops or being suspected of a crime is not supposed to result in de facto capital punishment...
Context, please. We (the OP and I) were talking about how the media presents it to everyone. The point is not really if they were or were not armed, the point is how the media writes their headlines based on the race of the suspect who was shot.

Of course if the person was unarmed and was fleeing or even one who is resisting should not be shot. I don't back cops who do that. If it's a major crime, that's what a K9 cop is for - to chase them down and apprehend them until the human cops get there to handcuff them. Taser them, if the crime warrants it. If it's a simple traffic stop, you already have their license plate, you don't shoot them if they run away. That's a very stupid reason to end someone's life. But that is not what we were talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 03:43 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
From a black perspective, the history of relationships with police is uniformly negative.

The reason: Police have always been there to enforce the status quo, and the status quo has been historically negative for black people.

And this is not a matter of criminal statistics or even economic status, it's a matter of the police department being the social force to "keep them in their place" in both the north and the south for longer than anyone is now able to remember.

History will never change unless someone makes the first move to overcome it. I don't want to say change, I know deep down it's what everyone wants... but realistically it has to move slow. Communities need to rebuild the relationships with their police forces.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:15 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I guess you never Watched The Wire - where, by all accounts, everyone is a crook and thug (other than a select few in LE).....which is much closer to the real truth.

Most every cop show or other LE show depicts LE as the Hero.

I'm watching Justified right now...the US Marshalls are the heroes and the drug dealers are the bad people.

Do I have that right?

Why are you so interested in Fiction? Your lack of non-fiction (book) knowledge is a bit troubling, but not knowing what "foreign country" you come from I can't say whether that is your fault. Still, if you have internet access you should be able to learn many things.

The wire is still the best show of all time. Youre right that it is probably the closest to reality.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:07 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times
Okay thanks. I mean I know I was observing race relations in the US through fiction, but wondered how much racism there actually is in the US actually, and if it actually pertains to these types of crime situations.

One show I thought of 24, in the first season.

MINOR SPOILER FROM SHOW.

In the first season, a black man is close to being elected President of the United States (this season came out in 2001). While being close to elected, it becomes public knowledge that his daughter was raped, and her brother, tried to defend her. The rapist attacked the brother, and the brother ended up unintentionally killing the rapist/attacker in self defense.

However, the man close to being elected President... his wife wanted to cover up the killing and hide it from the public cause she said that he won't be elected President therefore, cause the attacker who was killed in self defense, happened to be white. So she wanted to cover it up.

Is that a realistic scenario though, that the majority of the white population of the US could be all for voting for a black president, if they thought he would do good, but then if they found out that her daughter's rapist, who was killed in self defense turned out to be white, that that in itself would change voters mind... race of the attacker alone?

Old 04-09-2019, 12:39 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Is that a realistic scenario though, that the majority of the white population of the US could be all for voting for a black president, if they thought he would do good, but then if they found out that her daughter's rapist, who was killed in self defense turned out to be white, that that in itself would change voters mind... race of the attacker alone?
I don't think that this would sway too many voters, because most people would understand a brother doing what he had to do to defend his sister against a rapist.

There's another reason why this scenario isn't too plausible, and that is that the rate of white rapists against black victims is vanishingly small. The article I'm linking here refutes a claim that the number is actually zero; but whether it's zero or a small number, I would still say that it is no greater than a small number. Thus, just going by the law of averages, it's unlikely (not impossible, but not common enough to hang a key plot point on) for a white man to have raped a black woman.

https://thesocietypages.org/socimage...remacist-meme/

Old 04-09-2019, 12:44 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times
Oh okay. I thought for the TV show, they needed to create a plot in which a man being elected President has a huge scandal on his hands cause his wife tried to cover up a self defense killing, but her reason for doing so seemed like a reach, as I thought it would be far fetched that a black man would loose the white vote solely based on that.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:48 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,067 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. I mean I know I was observing race relations in the US through fiction, but wondered how much racism there actually is in the US actually, and if it actually pertains to these types of crime situations.

One show I thought of 24, in the first season.

MINOR SPOILER FROM SHOW.

In the first season, a black man is close to being elected President of the United States (this season came out in 2001). While being close to elected, it becomes public knowledge that his daughter was raped, and her brother, tried to defend her. The rapist attacked the brother, and the brother ended up unintentionally killing the rapist/attacker in self defense.

However, the man close to being elected President... his wife wanted to cover up the killing and hide it from the public cause she said that he won't be elected President therefore, cause the attacker who was killed in self defense, happened to be white. So she wanted to cover it up.

I once saw an episode of Dudley Do-Right where a bear joined the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Is it true that they let bears join the police where you live?

Old 04-09-2019, 12:59 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
I'm not American but watch a lot of American movies. You see movies where they deal with white cops shooting unarmed black characters, and they make a statement in the movie that white police oppress the black community that way. Which could be very well true of course, from the observations. Movies like, Blindspotting (2018), The Hate You Give (2018), or Crash (2005), or Widows (2018).

I was wondering, what caused this in the US in the first place. I read about it, and they always talk about the what, who, where, etc. But never the why.
Your premise is based on movies?

Quote:
Why are the police more afraid of a suspect having a gun, and going to use that gun, if they are black.
They don't and you have no proof they do.

Quote:
Such in your face phony "patriotism" is embarrassing to real Americans.
You making things up is an embarrassment to you.

Quote:
Or why are the white police think that black people are more dangerous in general?
Because blacks commit a much higher percentage of crimes.

Quote:
Did something cause this historically, like a lot more black crime compared to crimes committed by whites, are is there more of a history of violent crimes from black Americans compared to whites?
As a group blacks are more violent because they are not raised correctly. Over 70% of black children are raised in single parent families.

Quote:
I was just wondering what is the cause of the fear in white police, or what is causing it?
It's not about white police. It's about not being held accountable.

But I saw it in a movie?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies