Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 04:19 AM

4 posts, read 1,317 times

Advertisements

When it is the American people who vote in for the government?

Therefore the American people are in control and therefore what evils their government does, the American people are also guilty of.

So explain to me why people say "I don't hate Americans, just their government".....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 04:24 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Joshua View Post

Therefore the American people are in control and therefore what evils their government does, the American people are also guilty of.

So explain to me why people say "I don't hate Americans, just their government".....
Because much of what the "government" does is done behind the scenes by unelected bureaucrats in Washington who have no accountability to the voters. Most functions of government should take place at the municipal, county and state level, not the federal government. At the local level, people are "closer" to their elected officials, who have more accountability for their actions.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:57 AM

4 posts, read 1,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Because much of what the "government" does is done behind the scenes by unelected bureaucrats....
So why don't you force your elected bureaucrats to get rid of these unelected bureaucrats and then impeach those same elected bureaucrats who got these unelected ones?

Old 04-05-2019, 06:30 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
So why don't you force your elected bureaucrats to get rid of these unelected bureaucrats and then impeach those same elected bureaucrats who got these unelected ones?
I tried to once but it turned out Harry Reid was a champion boxer in his youth and he kicked my ass.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:32 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:

How are they in control when the people they vote for are not held to their promises and the voters must wait years to vote them out?

Old 04-05-2019, 06:33 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:

Do I know you???

Old 04-05-2019, 07:04 AM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:

Because they're not as naive as you.

Everything you said is wrong.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:12 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Because they're not as naive as you.

Everything you said is wrong.
he's obviously never dealt with the IRS...

Old 04-05-2019, 07:16 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Why do Americans say that they can't control what their government does?
hmmmm...

That's a tough one!

Might could be that corporate lobbying holds the controls on what the gummint does, despite what Americans want.

60 percent of Americans favor legalizing marijuana for adult use

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/majo...ds-poll-finds/

97% support universal background checks on gun purchases

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...all-gun-buyers

79% say medications are too expensive and want the govt to look into it.

https://www.kff.org/health-costs/pol...ription-drugs/

Yet, despite broad public support, corporate interests block action on these and many other issues.

No one votes for lobbyists, yet they decide. They even got the supreme court to rule that money = freedom of speech, making corporate influence even stronger.

Citizens united...

Old 04-05-2019, 08:06 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Most people are not patriotic enough to actually stand up and take necessary actions, to stop all of this...thats the main problem imo, there is just too much risk of having your life ruined from even attempting such a thing, arrest, conviction, loss of job, house, income, etc!!

Its easier to compromise, go along to get along.

Ive said this before on other threads...in the US today, REAL patriotism would look more like domestic terrorism on the surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies