Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2019, 06:04 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

On the contrary - if you look at how much aggression occurs driven by religion, we'd all be much better off with less religion.
Agreed. Even though I have my beliefs I don’t feel that they belong in politics, once again some people need to blame other then themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 07:16 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
You are essentially correct - and it's not a "technical" matter, but a profoundly biblical one. Believing upon Jesus is not a matter of religion. It's not a matter of choice. It's not a matter of moral philosophy. It's not a matter of cultural conservatism. It's not a question of whether we obey the Ten Commandments, or the Mosaic Law, or the teachings of Jesus. I assure you no one does all these things or is even capable of doing all these things. If you violate any part of God's law, you are guilty. Whatever else might be good about anyone is vitiated by breaking the laws of God.

Faith is a matter of predestination. As God is sovereign, nothing whatsoever can happen apart from either His active or permissive will. In fact, no one can come to Jesus unless the Father compels that person to do so (see John 6:44). The is the effectual call of God. Ultimately, it works 100% of the time, as God--in love--works to create salvific faith among the ones He has chosen and predestined before the world even existed (see Ephesians 1:3-6). Being born again is as volitional as being born in the flesh for the first time - i.e., not at all. But, if anyone was wondering, ascertaining your own election unto salvation is very possible by asking yourself whether you have accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior and placed your faith in His death and resurrection as complete payment for your sins.

Outwardly, the Gospel is broadcast to the whole world, in accordance with God's will. However, there is no faith without an inward call. It's an effectual call. It is an act of coercion upon the will. It is why some believe the Gospel and others don't, even when they hear the exact same outward message. Left to our own devices, no one would be able to recognize any need for salvation through the imputation of Christ's righteousness upon us. Man's fallenness is such that none of us can autonomously repudiate self-justification as a criterion for salvation, even if we acknowledge God and the afterlife. However, without Christ's righteousness, every single person falls short of God's standards and is dead in sin without God's gift of faith.

Having established that faith is a gift from God, we can understand why biblical Christianity is NOT declining in America, even while it declines elsewhere in the Western world. Notwithstanding outward affiliations of faith, it does not necessarily seem to me that the overall percentage of Americans who are actually saved has changed very much.

https://thefederalist.com/2018/01/22...wing-stronger/

There is only one reason America is an outlier here: God intended it that way. It sets the stage for the events foretold in the Book of Revelation to transpire. It's reasonable to surmise that the Rapture will impact America in such a way as to take her off the world stage. It's America--by and large, and secondary to divine providence--that prevents Israel's enemies from waging total war.
I think we need to be careful not to assume that divine election and free will are mutually exclusive.

Otherwise, I generally agree that the number of Biblically oriented evangelicals in the USA is probably increasing.

Last edited by Hightower72; 04-06-2019 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: video

Old 04-06-2019, 08:07 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
And yet you support a man who has veered away from embracing morality and who has broken many of the 10 Commandments routinely his entire life. Is that all a part of your so-called "Christian values?"
Yes it is. It is called making a deal with the Devil.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:20 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,138,222 times
I'm not worried about the nation becoming increasingly godless as much as I'm worried about the replacement of one superstition with another.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:28 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
You are essentially correct - and it's not a "technical" matter, but a profoundly biblical one. Believing upon Jesus is not a matter of religion. It's not a matter of choice. It's not a matter of moral philosophy. It's not a matter of cultural conservatism. It's not a question of whether we obey the Ten Commandments, or the Mosaic Law, or the teachings of Jesus. I assure you no one does all these things or is even capable of doing all these things. If you violate any part of God's law, you are guilty. Whatever else might be good about anyone is vitiated by breaking the laws of God.

Faith is a matter of predestination. As God is sovereign, nothing whatsoever can happen apart from either His active or permissive will. In fact, no one can come to Jesus unless the Father compels that person to do so (see John 6:44). The is the effectual call of God. Ultimately, it works 100% of the time, as God--in love--works to create salvific faith among the ones He has chosen and predestined before the world even existed (see Ephesians 1:3-6). Being born again is as volitional as being born in the flesh for the first time - i.e., not at all. But, if anyone was wondering, ascertaining your own election unto salvation is very possible by asking yourself whether you have accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior and placed your faith in His death and resurrection as complete payment for your sins.

Outwardly, the Gospel is broadcast to the whole world, in accordance with God's will. However, there is no faith without an inward call. It's an effectual call. It is an act of coercion upon the will. It is why some believe the Gospel and others don't, even when they hear the exact same outward message. Left to our own devices, no one would be able to recognize any need for salvation through the imputation of Christ's righteousness upon us. Man's fallenness is such that none of us can autonomously repudiate self-justification as a criterion for salvation, even if we acknowledge God and the afterlife. However, without Christ's righteousness, every single person falls short of God's standards and is dead in sin without God's gift of faith.

Having established that faith is a gift from God, we can understand why biblical Christianity is NOT declining in America, even while it declines elsewhere in the Western world. Notwithstanding outward affiliations of faith, it does not necessarily seem to me that the overall percentage of Americans who are actually saved has changed very much.

There is only one reason America is an outlier here: God intended it that way. It sets the stage for the events foretold in the Book of Revelation to transpire. It's reasonable to surmise that the Rapture will impact America in such a way as to take her off the world stage. It's America--by and large, and secondary to divine providence--that prevents Israel's enemies from waging total war.
And this is what MAGA is all about.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:38 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
Those societies today that are the most religious — where faith in God is strong and religious participation is high — tend to have the highest violent crime rates, while those societies in which faith and church attendance are the weakest — the most secular societies — tend to have the lowest.https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...101-story.html

Citing four different studies, Zuckerman states: "Murder rates are actually lower in more secular nations and higher in more religious nations where belief in God is widespread." He also states: "Of the top 50 safest cities in the world, nearly all are in relatively non-religious countries.https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...m-and-religion

From what I've heard, if you want a happier, safer environment, a secular country is the way to go in most cases. Overall they have a better rep than those who are God-fearing.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:14 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,766,412 times
Quote:
From what I’ve heard, if you want a happier, safer environment, a secular country is the way to go in most cases. Overall they have a better rep than those who are God-fearing
That’s interesting since secular communist regimes have killed over 60 million in the 20th century.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:18 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:

Posts like this are the worst. They appear reasonable, but you really used a lot of words to say almost nothing that could not have been said in a few sentences.

The rapture bit always got me. A bunch of vague predictions sets the stage for people to float in the sky and watch everybody that disagreed with them suffer for years. The “I told you so! Part.” The vague predictions are akin to a horoscope and allow people to go “aha that happened.”

Old 04-06-2019, 09:33 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
I’ve always found it amusing that somehow the U.S it’s blessed, ordained, and or conceived that we’re some how special because christians say so. Biblically Israel is the chosen nation not us.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:42 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
And people wonder why we’re in such a mess.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-decades.html
Well, where is our plague of locusts, er, frogs? Where is vengeful Jehovah when you need her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies