Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2019, 07:29 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsleep View Post
Are you for real? Or are you just yanking my chain?

Do you really get offended anytime you hear Spanish? That is what your posts all boil down to.
As I said, it all depends on the circumstances. Do they know English? Does the person they are conversing with know English? Are they being rude to others around them such as their co-workers? They tend to speak it quite loudly to. I might not feel so strongly about this if there weren't million of Spanish speaking illegals in this country either because we wouldn't be hearing Spanish quite as much everywhere we go (I live in the thick of it). The old salt in the would thingy comes to mind. It's better just to drop this conversation as you won't even acknowledge that I may have a reason to feel the way I do. I'm sure there are things that offend you that don't offend me also. Different strokes for different folks so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 08:00 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
As I said, it all depends on the circumstances. Do they know English? Does the person they are conversing with know English? Are they being rude to others around them such as their co-workers? They tend to speak it quite loudly to. I might not feel so strongly about this if there weren't million of Spanish speaking illegals in this country either because we wouldn't be hearing Spanish quite as much everywhere we go (I live in the thick of it). The old salt in the would thingy comes to mind. It's better just to drop this conversation as you won't even acknowledge that I may have a reason to feel the way I do. I'm sure there are things that offend you that don't offend me also. Different strokes for different folks so to speak.
Nah. You don't get to set conditions on what other people do with the tongues they get to speak in in situations that don't involve you, and you're just being ignorant by assuming someone's nationality when you hear a language.

Deal with it.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:04 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Again, it is rude when both knew how to speak English but they chose to speak a foreign language instead within earshot of a fellow worker who doesn't speak Spanish. Where my wife used to work the Hispanics did this all the time in front of native English speakers even though they were told not to do it while on the clock. Why not be considerate of others instead? Why speak a foreign language in public when they all know English just because they can? There's a fine line between freedom of doing what you can and being rude by doing so.
So both my dad and I know how to speak English, but we prefer to speak in Mandarin. You gonna get in my face and tell me to speak English?

And don't give me that nonsense about "well, Asians aren't dominating here in California like the Mexicans and they're mostly illegal." We had a lot of rancor in Monterey Park when businesses were putting up signs in Chinese back in the day. One standard applies to all.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:27 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Nope, there are no “circumstances” for you. You cry about it regardless. It’s hilarious.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Maybe because the elderly and others (white or not) are fed up with non-assimilation in our country and it's mostly Latinos who aren't assimilating in our country. That particular Latino customer and probably the cashier that was waiting on her were born here and knew how to speak English so I rest my case. Add to that the millions here illegally babbling in Spanish and it just pours salt into the wound.

I'm not excusing the behavior of the cashier whom this topic is about but it is what it is. She should have confronted the other cashier rather than going off on the customer.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:47 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
What's bigoted and nativist about expecting people to learn and speak our language out in public when they know how to? The Hispanic woman of this topic was born here and could speak English. The cashier who waited on her could speak English. Why be rude to your fellow employees and talk in front of them in a foreign language?

Oh knock off your "whites" rhetoric. I know plenty of blacks and young people who also get sick of hearing Spanish babble all the time to and it's mostly occurring via illegal immigration. Brown skinned persons? WTH does their skin color have to do with it? I know plenty of Hispanics who have lilly white skin. They consider this their territory? I have news for you the U.S. territory belongs to all Americans regardless of their race. It certainly doesn't belong to illegal aliens though!

Tranquilo OldGlory!

Old 04-11-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Tranquilo OldGlory!
You’ve done it now. That poster is going to go into hysterics because he won’t be able to understand your post, it being Spanish & all. Prepare for his anti Hispanic rant.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:12 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
No, I will never accept that it is normal to get upset when you merely hear a foreign language. Your hatred of immigrants must run so deep that you have lost all ability to even think rationally.

However, you are wrong. I know exactly why you feel the way you do. Your bigotry practically drips from your posts. I don't understand why you try so hard to dance around the obvious. You hate immigrants, especially Latinos that speak Spanish. It really is that simple, mijo.
Hatred of immigrants? First off illegal aliens aren't "immigrants" and I object to them I don't hate them. I certainly don't hate legal immigrants who are learning English and are willing to speak it when they learn it. I said there was no point in continuing this conversation with me so why are you doing it?

Keep your personal attacks to yourself. I'm no bigot just because I want immigrants to assimilate into our society and for illegal aliens to go back to where they belong and I don't care where they are from it's just that most illegals are Latinos. The only thing simple here is your inability to understand my point of view but instead resorting to unwarranted name calling. Welcome to my ignore list!

Old 04-11-2019, 08:29 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
OOOOH, the ignore list. I consider that a high honor. Bye Felicia
Welcome to the list. It is long and illustrious.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:51 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
No, I will never accept that it is normal to get upset when you merely hear a foreign language. Your hatred of immigrants must run so deep that you have lost all ability to even think rationally.

However, you are wrong. I know exactly why you feel the way you do. Your bigotry practically drips from your posts. I don't understand why you try so hard to dance around the obvious. You hate immigrants, especially Latinos that speak Spanish. It really is that simple, mijo.
You spoke the truth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies