Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 11:05 AM

57,262 posts, read 26,192,233 times

Advertisements

Trump wants mower interest rates period because he thinks that will spur the economy, he figures he can influence the board with some political hacks that agree. I don't know who his experts are that told him this is a good idea but most would disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 01:12 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Trump wants mower interest rates period because he thinks that will spur the economy, he figures he can influence the board with some political hacks that agree. I don't know who his experts are that told him this is a good idea but most would disagree.
Most economists (the sane ones anyway) believe lowering interest rates would further inflate an already inflated bubble and would be a recipe for disaster. Stephen Moore is practically alone out there on this limb (along with a few Trump toadies like Larry Kudlow). As far as I can determine neither Fed chief Jerome Powell nor anyone else at the Fed thinks interest rates should be lowered at this time.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:18 PM

21,925 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Moore says the Fed should lower interest rates by 50 basis points (one half of one percent). Do you agree with him?
First of all, WHEN did he say that? Makes a big difference. I don't agree or disagree at this point. As I am sure Moore is doing, I don't think it's a definite thing forever. It should be data dependent. We are starting to get some earnings for the quarter so we should see how things are going.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:23 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Hysterical.

I guess you'll have to direct us to the post where a Republican requested that black people stay "on the plantation". I can't find it....
(It doesn't exist. You made that up so that your nonsensical position would seem to make sense.)
You must be joking or you don't read the forum much. People on the right often use the phrases "on the plantation" and "leave the plantation".

Do a search.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
First of all, WHEN did he say that? Makes a big difference. I don't agree or disagree at this point. As I am sure Moore is doing, I don't think it's a definite thing forever. It should be data dependent. We are starting to get some earnings for the quarter so we should see how things are going.
March 27. From CNBC: "Presumptive Federal Reserve nominee Stephen Moore thinks the central bank should cut interest rates by a half percentage point, a position well out of line with other policy makers".

Old 04-14-2019, 02:16 PM

21,925 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
March 27. From CNBC: "Presumptive Federal Reserve nominee Stephen Moore thinks the central bank should cut interest rates by a half percentage point, a position well out of line with other policy makers".
Most of the press out there is against Stephen Moore because most of the press leans left. I don't see a huge problem with cutting rates right now to head off what many think will be a coming recession. But maybe they don't really want to keep from having a recession? Gee, I wonder why that might be?

Old 04-14-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Most of the press out there is against Stephen Moore because most of the press leans left. I don't see a huge problem with cutting rates right now to head off what many think will be a coming recession. But maybe they don't really want to keep from having a recession? Gee, I wonder why that might be?
Fed chief (and Trump appointee) Jerome Powell doesn't think we need a rate cut. But you know more than Powell, right?

Old 05-02-2019, 02:37 PM

Good news. Stephen Moore has withdrawn his name from consideration for Fed gig. So that shows that he's at least not a total idiot. Apparently he was able to read the handwriting on the wall.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:18 PM

8,497 posts, read 4,558,569 times
Trump would be wise to nominate people that are QUALIFIED and FIT for the position and not just loyal toads that will do as instructed.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:43 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Trump would be wise to nominate people that are QUALIFIED and FIT for the position and not just loyal toads that will do as instructed.
Nice thought but good luck convincing a 72 year old man to do an about-face from the only thing he knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies