Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is big time college athletics tantamount to slavery?
yes. 6 8.11%
no, but reforms are needed so that athletes get a share of the revenue. 12 16.22%
no, it's entirely voluntary, so it's not slavery or even 'tantamount' to slavery. 54 72.97%
other (please explain below). 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 05:30 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I compare it to the old Hollywood casting-couch system. A young aspiring actresses were not forced to have sex with the director, but if they wished to work professionally as an actress, it was a requirement.
Yeah, don't let the SJW liberal mothers-in-law that are as #MeToo as one can get know about this truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 05:34 PM

26,463 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
What do you think about the 'casting couch' comparison. The actress is free to leave at any time. She is very well compensated once on the job. But if she wants to work professionally as an actress, she has to get on the couch first. If these players want to play in the NFL or NBA, they have to play college ball first.

BTW, the NBA is expected to drop their eligibility requirement, probably starting in 2021. So after that, at least basketballers will have less of a gripe.
#1 Basketball.

Players can go straight to the NBA if they are good enough like Lebron James/Kobe Bryant or they can play in a minor league or over in Europe.

#2 Football.

(A) Most young players aren't physically ready for the NFL right out of high school.

(B) It is still a voluntary choice with compensation. The compensation isn't much in terms of cash, but most college football players won't make the league and if you are smart you can have a free (in terms of dollars) degree in your hand, which will lead to future prosperity.

The NCAA is not slavery. Period. It is absurd to push this narrative. Nobody is whipping them and chaining them. Nor is anyone breeding them and then selling them down river.

With that said, the players should get more compensation - at least what the free market demands based on sport, skill, etc...but it isn't slavery.

I can get a full ride scholarship and get paid to help teach a freshman level section of a class and if by miracle someone wanted to pay me extra money on the side to use my likeness they can without problem. An elite athlete making more money for the school and putting in more time gets the scholarship (more perks), but less cash...and he can't accept a side offer like I could. It is BS. But it isn't slavery.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:52 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,564,721 times
I feel badly for these kids getting a free education, access to state-of-the-art training facilities, excellent networking opportunities if they choose to use them correctly, and the fact they get treated like celebrities with a variety of "benefits" during their tenure on campus. I think you hit the nail on the head. It sounds like slavery. All sports should be #banned.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:29 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
The NFL and NBA have eligibility requirements that effectively prohibit players from going straight from high school to pros.

And the ones that enter the NFL and NBA out of HS that get cut? At the very least they have an education to fall back on. I'm not sure I understand why there would be a complaint about this.

Quote:
Where does the revenue go? It goes everywhere except to the players:

The large sports programs in major schools typically support the other sports programs that are drains on revenue.

Quote:
Is this a modern, legal version of slavery? It's labor without compensation, so I say 'yes.'

There might be 99 players on a large College football team, only a select few of them will ever play professionally and even most of those that may make it into the pros won't be there long. 1 in 200K play for the NFL with an average career of just over 3 years.

That said I'd don't see an issue with amateur players making money if they can through advertising deals or whatever else they obtain privately.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:32 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Lot of those programs support non profitable programs, especially womens sports programs.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:50 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,033,954 times
Slavery, by definition, isn't voluntary.

Participation in collegiate athletics is 100% voluntary.

That is all.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:53 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
The vast majority of schools lose money on athletics, only a couple dozen schools make up for their loses in other sports and turn a profit on football and sometimes basketball. The kids get free rides including lodging, meals, personal trainers, state of the art training facilities and stipends. That’s in addition to the exposure they are getting. They should be able to make money off their likeness but I don’t agree with the schools directly paying them more than a stipend.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:26 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Not Just Another Labor Force (Ep. 365) - Freakonomics Freakonomics

Here's a podcast about how big time college sports. They generate $billions, but none of the money goes to the laborers, namely the athletes. The players are not forced at gunpoint, so we can't say flatly that it is slavery, which is why I include the weasel-word 'tantamount.'

The NFL and NBA have eligibility requirements that effectively prohibit players from going straight from high school to pros. I compare it to the old Hollywood casting-couch system. A young aspiring actresses were not forced to have sex with the director, but if they wished to work professionally as an actress, it was a requirement.

They do get scholarships, but the piece notes a study regarding graduation rates. The rate for the general student population was 72%. Among football players, the rate was 56%, and for basketball, 42%. Also ex-NFL player (and Harvard MBA) Domonique Foxworth, points out that athletic scholarships come with strings. He wanted to major in computer science. His advisor nixed that, because it would have interfered with football.

Is this a modern, legal version of slavery? It's labor without compensation, so I say 'yes.'
It is a friggin privilege to play at the highest levels and especially if you are fortunate enough to get a full ride.
My Daughter was a student athlete. She worked 4 times harder to get what she was offered. It isn't like when I was coming out of HS. I had every college in the USA offering some package to be on their team. The talent is so incredible compared to 40 years ago.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:58 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Not Just Another Labor Force (Ep. 365) - Freakonomics Freakonomics

Here's a podcast about how big time college sports. They generate $billions, but none of the money goes to the laborers, namely the athletes. The players are not forced at gunpoint, so we can't say flatly that it is slavery, which is why I include the weasel-word 'tantamount.'

The NFL and NBA have eligibility requirements that effectively prohibit players from going straight from high school to pros. I compare it to the old Hollywood casting-couch system. A young aspiring actresses were not forced to have sex with the director, but if they wished to work professionally as an actress, it was a requirement.

They do get scholarships, but the piece notes a study regarding graduation rates. The rate for the general student population was 72%. Among football players, the rate was 56%, and for basketball, 42%. Also ex-NFL player (and Harvard MBA) Domonique Foxworth, points out that athletic scholarships come with strings. He wanted to major in computer science. His advisor nixed that, because it would have interfered with football.

Well, the money still goes to the players...they just do it a little different nowadays!

One of my best friends son saw how this worked first hand last year at University of KY basketball, (essentially, they cannot 'give it directly' to the players, (I will leave it up to the reader to how they interpret that!! LOL)...however it didnt shock anyone when this guy was driving a brand new McLaren around Erlanger, KY, while visiting family and friends!! LOL

Old 04-07-2019, 12:32 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Volunteer work is also labor without compensation...unpaid internships are too. You choose to join the team for the experience, not for money. The fact that money is made from that is irrelevant.

Pro players are closer to slaves than NCAA players. They work to earn a paycheck and the state says "Nope, we decide how much you're allowed to keep."
Interesting and accurate take.

When you think about it most scholarship athletes (full) don't/have no time to work thus aren't paying taxes during their college years.

In essence, the NCAA is preventing slavery by offering the scholarships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies