Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is big time college athletics tantamount to slavery?
yes. 6 8.11%
no, but reforms are needed so that athletes get a share of the revenue. 12 16.22%
no, it's entirely voluntary, so it's not slavery or even 'tantamount' to slavery. 54 72.97%
other (please explain below). 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 06:40 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,138,862 times

Advertisements

It doesn't seem right that these athletes are generating so much money and they don't get a piece of it but it is voluntary. I played college basketball and you have some of the guys playing coming from the most destitute of situations....they almost have to take some money however it's provided to them. I was one of 6 kids and didn't have any income other than what I made in the off season which distracted me from focusing more on the sport.

The LSU coach was caught trying to shuffle some money to one of his recruits...it's breaking the rules and must be punished but I also understand it...the rules could change a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 10:07 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,365,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
If they're generating billions in revenue, why should they not want a share? I have a hard time calling that 'greed.'
Revenue is NOT profit.

Most of those big time football programs actually lose money but they don't like to admit that.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:56 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
More examples of this "slavery" (what a bunch of happy slaves at the end, guess the USA was horrible for ending slavery, lol);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrY5z1LjZBw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY5Grjoy3Hk

Old 04-07-2019, 11:34 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,748,380 times
college athletes should not be paid, however I fell the following steps must be taken.

1. allow players to go pro after high school.
2. don't force them to stay in school for a specific amount of time.
3. make it easier on them to transfer.
4. allow them to make money off of their likeness. video games, shoes, t-shirts, etc.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:52 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
I will say though that overall, I think the whole universities and sports thing is odd. If people want to play sports, why in the hell are universities even involved in it? That is more like vocational training than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
college athletes should not be paid, however I fell the following steps must be taken.

1. allow players to go pro after high school.
That is up to the employer, as in NBA, NFL, etc.

Quote:
2. don't force them to stay in school for a specific amount of time.
No one forces them to do anything, they can walk away at any time.

Quote:
3. make it easier on them to transfer.
Not sure of the transfer rules, but an organization that dumps resources into the development of a person is going to have some provision for recovery of those resources.

Quote:
4. allow them to make money off of their likeness. video games, shoes, t-shirts, etc.
I see no issue with this.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:52 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
This continuous argument is so lame. NCAA players get FOUR FREE YEARS of education, which nowadays, is worth anywhere from $100-300K.

The best players (ie the real star football/basketball players who are responsible for making the schools all this money) will likely get big payday. The vast majority of bench players and average players are not the ones responsible for generating all the money. So for them, $250 K in free tuition/education is fair.

The very best (superstar players) who are generating all the money do have a claim to some money, so I would be fine if they were allowed to sign merchandise contracts (shoes, jerseys, etc). But for 90% of players on each team (non-star players), four years of free tuition (usually worth over $200K) is fair.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:00 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,748,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I will say though that overall, I think the whole universities and sports thing is odd. If people want to play sports, why in the hell are universities even involved in it? That is more like vocational training than anything.

That is up to the employer, as in NBA, NFL, etc.

No one forces them to do anything, they can walk away at any time.

Not sure of the transfer rules, but an organization that dumps resources into the development of a person is going to have some provision for recovery of those resources.

I see no issue with this.
the NBA, NFL "forces" them to be a certain age to play. so their option is to go to canada, or go to college. and dumping resources? the schools make millions off the players. if a kid goes there, and say his mom gets sick, a school can tell him he can't transfer to his hometown university because it's a rival. they have some hardship waivers, but the process should be easy.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:15 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t
What do you think about the 'casting couch' comparison. The actress is free to leave at any time. She is very well compensated once on the job. But if she wants to work professionally as an actress, she has to get on the couch first. If these players want to play in the NFL or NBA, they have to play college ball first.

BTW, the NBA is expected to drop their eligibility requirement, probably starting in 2021. So after that, at least basketballers will have less of a gripe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
#1 Basketball.

Players can go straight to the NBA if they are good enough like Lebron James/Kobe Bryant or they can play in a minor league or over in Europe.

#2 Football.

(A) Most young players aren't physically ready for the NFL right out of high school.

(B) It is still a voluntary choice with compensation. The compensation isn't much in terms of cash, but most college football players won't make the league and if you are smart you can have a free (in terms of dollars) degree in your hand, which will lead to future prosperity.

The NCAA is not slavery. Period. It is absurd to push this narrative. Nobody is whipping them and chaining them. Nor is anyone breeding them and then selling them down river.

With that said, the players should get more compensation - at least what the free market demands based on sport, skill, etc...but it isn't slavery.

I can get a full ride scholarship and get paid to help teach a freshman level section of a class and if by miracle someone wanted to pay me extra money on the side to use my likeness they can without problem. An elite athlete making more money for the school and putting in more time gets the scholarship (more perks), but less cash...and he can't accept a side offer like I could. It is BS. But it isn't slavery.
But you never answered the question of the post you quoted. The casting couch was also 'a voluntary choice with compensation.'

Players currently can't go straight to the NBA from high school. That's why we have the college 'one and done' phenomenon. The NBA is expected to change this, probably in 2021, which as I say will eliminate this particular grievance in basketball, but not football.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
More examples of this "slavery" (what a bunch of happy slaves at the end, guess the USA was horrible for ending slavery, lol);
sure, happy and contented....

Old 04-07-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This continuous argument is so lame. NCAA players get FOUR FREE YEARS of education, which nowadays, is worth anywhere from $100-300K.

The best players (ie the real star football/basketball players who are responsible for making the schools all this money) will likely get big payday. The vast majority of bench players and average players are not the ones responsible for generating all the money. So for them, $250 K in free tuition/education is fair.

The very best (superstar players) who are generating all the money do have a claim to some money, so I would be fine if they were allowed to sign merchandise contracts (shoes, jerseys, etc). But for 90% of players on each team (non-star players), four years of free tuition (usually worth over $200K) is fair.
I refer you back to post #1. The graduation rate for NCAA basketball players is 42%, so they are not getting FOUR FREE YEARS. And their sports obligation comes first; as Domonique Foxworth states, if you want to major in computer science, that is a no-go. You can major in basket-weaving instead so that you can devote full focus to the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies