Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is big time college athletics tantamount to slavery?
yes. 6 8.11%
no, but reforms are needed so that athletes get a share of the revenue. 12 16.22%
no, it's entirely voluntary, so it's not slavery or even 'tantamount' to slavery. 54 72.97%
other (please explain below). 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 05:38 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

I dont see why they cannot take kids from high school and make them pros, if they have the talent to make it as a pro, who cares about their age. My grandpa had a shot to play baseball professionally back in the early 40s, but his dad told him no, and to focus on school (that was a mistake), of course pro ball players didnt make THAT much money back then either.

When i was involved in BMX racing in my teen years, there were factory pros, some of them were as young as 13-14 yrs old, they traveled across the country regularly!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 05:48 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I refer you back to post #1. The graduation rate for NCAA basketball players is 42%, so they are not getting FOUR FREE YEARS. And their sports obligation comes first; as Domonique Foxworth states, if you want to major in computer science, that is a no-go. You can major in basket-weaving instead so that you can devote full focus to the game.
WRONG!!!! That terrible graduation rate is another EXCUSE. Myron Rolle went to one of the top football programs (FSU) went to medical school and neurosurgery residency at Harvard. Again, an individual who chose to put in hard work!!

People who CHOOSE to major in basket weaving are hurting themselves in the long run. It can be done. I knew computer science, engineering, and accounting majors at my Power 5 undergraduate school. Some people take advantage of their opportunities, others don't. So they ARE getting FOUR FREE YEARS. Some just don't choose to take advantage of it!

Old 04-07-2019, 05:50 PM

26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
But you never answered the question of the post you quoted. The casting couch was also 'a voluntary choice with compensation.'

Players currently can't go straight to the NBA from high school. That's why we have the college 'one and done' phenomenon. The NBA is expected to change this, probably in 2021, which as I say will eliminate this particular grievance in basketball, but not football.
A casting couch requirement is illegal. Women could turn in a violator.

NCAA players are not slaves, period.

Players get compensation from schools.

Players do it knowing what it is.

Players voluntarily join.

Players can unilaterally quit at any time.

I support players being able to use their likeness to profit, but comparing them to slaves is asinine.

What is next? To become a teacher you have to go to college - so it is a form of slavery? I had to do student teaching - that is, I had to pay expensive tuition to show up at a high school and do the actual work of a teacher while my mentor teacher hung out in the teacher's lounge. I was a slave! I am a modern day Frederick Douglass who escaped from slavery -- FREEDOM!

Old 04-07-2019, 06:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
It is an absolute joke to say it is like slavery.

-You voluntarily agree to play knowing what you are signing up for.

-You can voluntarily leave at any time.

-You get a free college education, with free meals, free healthcare, free tutor, some free clothes, free books, free stipends, and great experiences. Saying that there is zero compensation is a lie.

-You have an improved social status on campus.

With that said, the NCAA is hypocritical and players should be able to use their likeness for profit. If a local car dealer near campus wants to pay a player to use his/her likeness - why should the NCAA be able to block it?

i agree with everything you wrote here. but there are traps that the NCAA is trying to avoid teams and players from falling into as well. for instance if a local car dealer is a booster for the team or the university, then there are issues with the advertising being a "gift" to the player and those are illegal.

if fact some "jobs" that boosters create for athletes are also illegal. and this is to prevent a university is a rich part of the country/town/state from giving the players more than universities with shallower pockets can afford to get the top players to go to say USC over UCLA for instance. and it prevents one or two universities from buying championships.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:22 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
NCAA doesn't always mean a full scholarship. Two of my daughters were members. They declined a full and went for a partial scholarship (because the school was better). So, it varies. I didn't approve of all the NCAA rules, but it was far from slavery.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:52 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
A casting couch requirement is illegal. Women could turn in a violator.
Under what law? It could be done in such a way that it's strictly voluntary. How is that wrong, based on your standards? Do you know of any 'casting couch' perps who were actually convicted? If it's forcible, of course it would be rape, but if the actress is free to go, I'm not sure what the crime would be.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:42 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
the NBA, NFL "forces" them to be a certain age to play. so their option is to go to canada, or go to college. and dumping resources? the schools make millions off the players. if a kid goes there, and say his mom gets sick, a school can tell him he can't transfer to his hometown university because it's a rival. they have some hardship waivers, but the process should be easy.
No one forces anyone to do anything. The employers set the age, just as some police agencies you have to be 21.

As has been stated, how much the NCAA gets is not relevant.

If the person needs to go home and cannot get a transfer, welcome to the real world, you will have to quit. Most people cannot transfer, they have to quit their jobs to move where they want.

Quote:
sure, happy and contented....
What, you think they are sad and unhappy? They were whipped and forced into doing what they were doing? That is most likely going to be one of the top three greatest moments of their lives. Many, many people strive to be part of this "slavery".

Old 04-07-2019, 07:50 PM

349 posts, read 260,351 times
Washington State huh? 'Nuff said. The only slavery that exists in this modern age is those who sit on their laurels wanting more than they were promised by LBJ and his Great Society.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:56 PM

11,240 posts, read 11,015,248 times
It is like playing the lottery. You throw your name in the hat while attending college to support your future, and if the gods smile on you, you make it to the next level where $$$ rules supreme.

Now, if you are good enough in college to have apparel made with your name on it yet not make it to the big show, you should get 20% of the revenue for the sales. Hopefully, your time in college was well spent on an academic level so you will have a future once pro sports falls by the wayside.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:57 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Most of those big time football programs actually lose money but they don't like to admit that.

It's only the smaller schools that might be losing money. Big time programs not only are they paying for the program but they are also paying for other programs in the same school that would be money losers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies