Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider healthcare as a right for every citizen a far left position?
Yes, this is far left and extremism 114 42.07%
No, healthcare should be a right, not a privilege 157 57.93%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 03:39 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,638,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
If you dont have the money for the cancer treatment, you die. Whats so great about that?
Sooooo.... you want something for free?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 03:42 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Sooooo.... you want something for free?
What in the name of God? If you live in Texas and go to Oklahoma and some thug robs you and steals your car, Oklahoma law enforcement will investigate the crime and try to find your car and the perpetrator. You never paid a penny to Oklahoma for that did you?

Old 04-08-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Not for most folks, but they are necessary for many...I would be dead within a week without my meds
There is nothing necessary about you living (me either). When you and I die, Earth will continue to rotate on its axis and will revolve around the Sun. Everything continues just as it once did.

You and I each want to live, but that is a want, not a need.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:49 PM

1,877 posts, read 677,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Hunting and gathering resources are open to anyone as long as you aren't on land itself that is clearly being used by someone. Unless you get their permission of course. Animals, wood, and plants are unclaimed because they don't require human hands to be suitable for use. They are raw resources.
But those people are using that land, for hunting, resources etc, they are probably employing some forms of resource management techniques to enable hunting to be sustainable. Hunting is labor just as much as putting up a fence is labor, collecting only enough wood to ensure the future sustainability of wood supplies involves labor mixing with the land and managing that land to ensure it remains productive for those purposes.

If I then come along, clear the land and plant my crops and shoot anybody that continues to enter the land for hunting or wood gathering then am I not affecting their natural rights by doing that?

Old 04-08-2019, 03:49 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If they don't plant the next season nor use it for another reason it's no longer having an individual mixing his/her labor with it. It's up for grabs.
It is possible to abandon land/resources that have clearly been transformed by the labor of an individual which renders that land/resource back to un-privatized status.
What constitutes "abandonment" is an interesting argument but in the end private insurance would make individuals whole anyway (in the event the world rid itself of statism).
That's great. It's a start.
No. As I stated above you have exclusive right to that land as long as you are alive and homesteading/mixing your labor with it.
It's statist fiction...the legal system you speak of. Pay it no mind.
Hunting and gathering resources are open to anyone as long as you aren't on land itself that is clearly being used by someone. Unless you get their permission of course. Animals, wood, and plants are unclaimed because they don't require human hands to be suitable for use. They are raw resources.
You still own the land though because you've mixed your labor with it. It's a raw resource just like the animals, plants, and wood.
That is crazy. You can't take over land that you decide you want because it's "not being used", a private property owner has the right to not improve or cultivate their land. Adverse possession is not quite as easy as you try to make it seem Most states require continuous occupation of the land for several years, a title or deed and proof that you paid taxes on the property while living on it. You can't just be Johnny Appleseed and scatter some seeds on a piece of land and claim you own it.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ossession.html

Old 04-08-2019, 03:52 PM

1,877 posts, read 677,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
There is nothing necessary about you living (me either). When you and I die, Earth will continue to rotate on its axis and will revolve around the Sun. Everything continues just as it once did.

You and I each want to live, but that is a want, not a need.
This is descending into nihilism, going down this path you'll get to the stage where natural rights don't matter either and are not necessary because we will all die at some point anyway, if you want to kill somebody just kill them. The earth will still revolve around the sun so what does it matter?

Old 04-08-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Don't be so daft healthcare is (like the fire brigade or the police or the schools) a public service
No, it isn’t.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:56 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
if healthcare is a right.....then food is a right and housing is a right. That means the government has to provide food and housing for everyone, rich or poor. The government controls everything.
Slippery slope fallacy^^

Old 04-08-2019, 03:58 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Slippery slope fallacy^^
Ignorance on what a right is.^^

Granted the loony left redefines what a male is so why wouldn't they try more of this garbage to get their handouts?

Old 04-08-2019, 03:59 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,448,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
So the Federal Government thought that we the people deserved medical care with out regard to our ability to pay.
That's the typical leftist mentality here. They take advantage of decent people and policy in order to invent an obligation and shackle people to that obligation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies