Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider healthcare as a right for every citizen a far left position?
Yes, this is far left and extremism 114 42.07%
No, healthcare should be a right, not a privilege 157 57.93%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 03:59 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Still why did the federal government intervene and decide to guarantee this medical treatment. If I limp my car into a shop why not mandate the mechanic service my car without regard for my ability to pay? Driving is also a privilege.
You can live without a car, this is a disingenuous argument
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 04:01 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
If you dont have the money for the cancer treatment, you die. Whats so great about that?
So if you do have the money to purchase a cancer treatment, or have it provided by the government after they have funded it from another at gunpoint, you will live forever? Neither my doctor nor my insurance company ever told me about that. Here I believed that we’re all going to die eventually. Thanks for enlightening me.

Last edited by Workin_Hard; 04-08-2019 at 04:15 PM..

Old 04-08-2019, 04:01 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
There is nothing necessary about you living (me either). When you and I die, Earth will continue to rotate on its axis and will revolve around the Sun. Everything continues just as it once did.

You and I each want to live, but that is a want, not a need.
Strange attitude you have there...So I should just plan my funeral, stop my meds and die on Friday...I don't think so... You may be missing the instinct to survive, but I'm not.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:06 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The most cost effective systems are all universal health care systems. America is a huge outlier in terms of costs.
I’ll go out on a limb and guess you’ve never worked as a government contractor.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:11 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I am not blind about health care. It is one of many things that government and a vast number of people would like to add to the growing list of forced/violent claims on the labor of others.

Obviously, I say no, it should not be added, because I want all forced/violent claims on the labor of others done away with entirely (it's that whole "logical consistency" thing us anarchists are famous for), and I find the immorality of forcing people to labor against their will for a thing greater than any possible immorality of that thing not being done at all. Since you'll likely reply to that statement with a "so you mean..." appeal to ridicule or something, it means this, specific to this topic:

I think people not being able to afford goods and services that can possibly extend their life expectancy is unfortunate, but not immoral; however, I think some percentage of the population being forced to labor on behalf of those who cannot afford those goods and services is unfortunate, tragic, and totally immoral.
A Progressive is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he will gladly repay with your money.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:17 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
A Progressive is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he will gladly repay with your money.
So you strongly feel it's true that progressives want to make laws in which they don't have to pay a dime of tax under many circumstances?

Old 04-08-2019, 04:20 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
No, it isn’t.
erm, yes it is!

Old 04-08-2019, 04:24 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I work full time (always have, always will), my Mrs worked full time until she was 'cut down' by Muscular Dystrophy, now she spend a lot of her time in and out of hospitals, let me ask you something - are we 'better off' with the NHS or with private care (also available don't forget) that would have probably made us bankrupt a long time ago? What would you do if you were in my position right now? Ditch your wife perhaps because you can't afford to treat her?
Based on my personal experience (above) Can anybody on here persuade me that the US system would be better for me? I've been waiting several hours for an answer!? Until somebody can show me otherwise I'm afraid I will have to say - thank god we don't live in the US! (like American people a lot though).

Old 04-08-2019, 04:27 PM

1,877 posts, read 678,004 times
Quote:
I’ll go out on a limb and guess you’ve never worked as a government contractor.
How does his work history affect the fact that the US healthcare system is far more expensive than in other countries that have universal healthcare of one form or another?

Old 04-08-2019, 04:27 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Based on my personal experience (above) Can anybody on here persuade me that the US system would be better for me? I've been waiting several hours for an answer!? Until somebody can show me otherwise I'm afraid I will have to say - thank god we don't live in the US! (like American people a lot though).
Ask little Charlie Gard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies