Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider healthcare as a right for every citizen a far left position?
Yes, this is far left and extremism 114 42.07%
No, healthcare should be a right, not a privilege 157 57.93%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 05:50 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Lol, you can't even get that right, it's 40% over £50,000 and 45% over £150,000. Plus there are no state or local income taxes to add on to that.

state and local taxes? LMAO ... no your right, instead they place a 20% tax on goods and services you buy .... don't be a moron

that's after taking 40% of any income beyond 50,000. run that by the American people, see if they want in on that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 05:57 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
state and local taxes? LMAO ... no your right, instead they place a 20% tax on goods and services you buy .... don't be a moron

that's after taking 40% of any income beyond 50,000. run that by the American people, see if they want in on that...

UK Rates are listed here -

You don't pay any tax on the first £11,850 ($15,500 USD) you earn in the UK, you then pay a basic rate of 20% up to £45,350 (around $60,000 USD), you then pay 40% up to £150,000 ($200,000 USD) and then above this figure there is a top rate of 45% on earning exceeding this amount.

Income Tax rates and Personal Allowances - GOV.UK

As for Value Added Tax (VAT) a lot of goods and servies are either zero rated (exempt) or charged at the lower rate of 5%.

Exemption and partial exemption for VAT - GOV.UK

US Federal rates are listed here -

Income tax in the United States Marginal tax rates for 2018 - Wikipedia

Old 04-09-2019, 06:00 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Can someone opt out entirely of the NHS?
okay so you have this:
Yes of course you don't have to use the NHS if you don't want to. Its your choice, do you have the choice 'over there' too?

Old 04-09-2019, 06:02 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Americans will love this one too...

For every litre of unleaded petrol bought in the UK, 61 per cent of the pump price goes to the government as fuel duty and VAT along with 59 per cent of every litre of diesel.

Petrol is close to $6 a gallon.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:03 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
okay so you have this:
We have private healthcare in the UK for those that want it, and the cost is relatively low as most emergency care is provided by the NHS.

The main problem with private insurance is that it becomes more expensive the older you get and in terms of coverage.

As for opting out, can you opt out of paying for over 2 million prisoners or a vast military industrial complex.??

The cost of keeping someone in prison and under secure conditions is vast, whilst last time I checked the US Defence Budget had reached over $700 Billion.

The NHS: even more cherished than the monarchy and the army - The New Statesman

The NHS is the British institution that Brits are second-most proud of - after the fire brigade - YouGov

Old 04-09-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
We have private healthcare in the UK for those that want it, and the cost is relatively low as most emergency care is provided by the NHS.

The main problem with private insurance is that it becomes more expensive the older you get and in terms of coverage.
Not only can you have private healthcare but add together what you pay in tax towards the NHS and add it to what private healthcare costs and it would STILL be a lot less than what you would have to pay in the US! I think I can understand why, it seems (some) people in the US can't 'grasp' it though.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:07 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
I consider it an overly authoritarian position antithetical to freedom. No one has the right to the labor of another.
I agree strongly that no one has a right to the labor of another. The problem with this is that if someone needs help I couldn't resist helping them. But I do not like being taken advantage of either and people who don't even try to help themselves are doing just that. People who "expect" the right to other people's labor are abusive toward others. The left who has been pushing past the limits of other peoples good nature is also taking advantage of people.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:08 AM

1,877 posts, read 678,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post

State and local taxes don't exist?

Sure taxes are a little higher, but people are generally happy with that paying for the NHS and other systems, they certainly don't want to move to the US model of healthcare. The average worker pays a lot less than 40% in income taxes, a lot less than 20% of total consumer spending goes on VAT. And then property taxes are pretty low compared to much of the US, especially the coastal cities. Low taxes are not an end in themselves, its they are so low that public services suffer then most people see that as a bad thing.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:09 AM

1,877 posts, read 678,004 times
Quote:
okay so you have this:
I've yet to see anybody with those guns, clubs and bullhorns to be honest.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
So to sum up my situation.

Positives of the NHS
1) I pay less
2) live longer
3) Have no extra burden due to the unfortunate circumstances my Mrs finds herself in
4) Have no worries about the amount of care she may need in the future
5) The choice of using the NHS or any private alternative I choose (at a cost less than the US)

Can somebody now tell me the advantages we would have without the NHS?
Anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies