Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 11:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,479,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I'm a conservative and I agree with the left that religion has been cynically used for millennia by political and economic elites to convince the masses that following the rules laid out by the elites is God's Will. And that without this adherence the elites' ability to maintain power and wealth in society would be vastly reduced.

Makes me throw up in my mouth to hear any politician use religion.

You are right. Politicians have used religion since forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
As a Liberal I agree with Conservatives that the other side has whiny crybabies. As in both sides have whiny crybabies and special snowflakes.
No shortage of people of all stripes prefer to view themselves as victims instead of taking responsibility for themselves.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
+1

But I think i am conservative, but most conservatives do not accept the pro choice POV, so that makes me a liberal.
No shortage of Democrats are pro life.

Devout Catholics and Hispanics are fiercely pro choice.

Plenty of Republicans are pro choice.

Seems to me, most reasonable folk recognize it is a private matter.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:37 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,654,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I'm a conservative and I agree with the left that religion has been cynically used for millennia by political and economic elites to convince the masses that following the rules laid out by the elites is God's Will. And that without this adherence the elites' ability to maintain power and wealth in society would be vastly reduced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
As a Liberal I agree with Conservatives that the other side has whiny crybabies. As in both sides have whiny crybabies and special snowflakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I agree that Cannabis ought to be removed from the federal drug schedule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
+1

But I think i am conservative, but most conservatives do not accept the pro choice POV, so that makes me a liberal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Conservative. The US is a great country to to be a citizen of and that pot and prostitution should be legalized and regulated like any other so-called vice.

there are things we can agree on, conservative or liberal. and i agree with the things quoted here to a point. the mexicans have a saying "what cannot be remedied must be endured"(from the movie barbarosa). abortion is the law of the land, and thus must be endured, even though many of us dont like it. and as president clinton once said, abortion should be safe, legal, and RARE. i agree with that.

and while i am a believer in god, i do agree that religion has been abused by many seeking obtain or retain power and wealth, and that is not what faith in god is about, and yes there is a difference between religion and faith.

and there are crybabies and snowflakes on both sides of the isle, but then we keep electing these children to congress, so what does that say about we the people?

Old 04-07-2019, 11:40 AM

6,389 posts, read 4,083,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
More people self- identify as non- affiliated/ Independent than either Republican or Democrat and the percentage grows each year. Many switch teams during a primary. Means nothing.

There are endless brands within the Republican, Democrat and Libertarian parties. No shortage of BIG MONEY supporting all the different tribes. Movements within each party come and go, over time.

Politicians and the media that feeds off them, blame throw, slander the opposition and make empty promises.
They spend massive sums of money on experts who choose the words/ terms and messaging to appeal to a base.

I am politically agnostic and have never voted a straight ticket.

As an aside, my husband, life long straight ticket Democrat, avoids being alone with anyone outside the family.

Observant Jews tend to avoid being alone with members of the opposite sex or physical contact. They tend to be masters of the “ air hug” .. .nothing new or political about it.

That you and Pence avoid being alone with women has nothing to do with politics.
But it does according to a lot of people. Remember how much liberal dems attacked Pence for it?

Old 04-07-2019, 12:20 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,435,901 times
I agree with using canvas bags instead of plastic bags. I think there is too much plastic waste that is not or can't be recycled. I don't think there is a climate crisis but I do agree and participate in taking care of the environment.

Old 04-07-2019, 12:30 PM

76,946 posts, read 47,255,988 times
I am independent and I agree with both sides that spending needs to be reduced.

Too bad neither side will do anything about it.

Old 04-07-2019, 12:40 PM

27,291 posts, read 28,366,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
I don't think there is a climate crisis but I do agree and participate in taking care of the environment.
I think 99% of people agree that breathing polluted air, drinking polluted water or having garbage all over your neighborhood is not a desirable condition to live in.

In that sense, we are all "environmentalists."

Old 04-07-2019, 01:58 PM

10,183 posts, read 6,239,663 times
Democrat but agree with Libertarians on the issue mandating vaccines.

Old 04-07-2019, 02:02 PM

1,991 posts, read 890,608 times
Liberal here. I agree with conservatives that if someone wants to wear a MAGA hat, then let ‘em. It’s nobody’s business but their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies