Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2020, 07:26 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
First, what thinking person believe polls anymore? Especially when time and time again they are wrong and revealed as just a way for the polling organization to advance their typically leftist agenda.
Except when they look good for Trump. Then everyone believes them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 07:27 AM

6,261 posts, read 5,069,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Probably the worst results ever.....I guess "what have you got to lose?" and "I've done more for you than anyone" hasn't penetrated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ff14e660545a9/

"Three years later, black Americans have rendered their verdict on his presidency with a deeply pessimistic assessment of their place in the United States under a leader seen by an overwhelming majority as racist."

"Trump’s overall approval rating among black Americans stands at a mere 7 percent, with 90 percent disapproving."

Well, you know, he could get a few of those undecideds. Maybe he will end up with 8%. Then again, some of that 7% may find a candidate they like better. Approving of someone doesn't mean voting for them. You could approve of someone else more.

Other sources say that many black folks skipped the 2016 election but are determined to get out in 2020.

We'll see - but this particular die appears to be cast. Nothing is going to happen in the next couple of months to dispel all that has occurred before.
Whenever I read your posts I'm never quite sure whether to be distressed at the bad news or amused at the mindless, agenda-driven, lemming-like partisanship.

Amused most of the time.

Actually, amused all of the time.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:31 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Probably the worst results ever.....I guess "what have you got to lose?" and "I've done more for you than anyone" hasn't penetrated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ff14e660545a9/

"Three years later, black Americans have rendered their verdict on his presidency with a deeply pessimistic assessment of their place in the United States under a leader seen by an overwhelming majority as racist."

"Trump’s overall approval rating among black Americans stands at a mere 7 percent, with 90 percent disapproving."

Well, you know, he could get a few of those undecideds. Maybe he will end up with 8%. Then again, some of that 7% may find a candidate they like better. Approving of someone doesn't mean voting for them. You could approve of someone else more.

Other sources say that many black folks skipped the 2016 election but are determined to get out in 2020.

We'll see - but this particular die appears to be cast. Nothing is going to happen in the next couple of months to dispel all that has occurred before.
Was this a poll of "likely voters" or just the general pop? I guess I can look that up myself. It matters more if it is a poll of likely voters. I think blacks who support Trump or approve of him are very likely to vote, while many who disapprove of him may not bother to vote. Hence, Trump could theoretically get 10% of the black vote due to a low black voter turnout if the Democratic nominee is uninspiring....which looks like the case.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:33 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,001 times
Even the African American that Trump called "My African American" at that rally, has left the party. Blacks are not stupid, they know a con man when they see one. Trump has done zero for them, just like he has done zero for the rest of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnljGHVld9I&t=126s

Funny how Trump has selective memory...…….now he can't even remember the man he called "My African American ".

Old 01-17-2020, 07:36 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
It doesn't matter since majority of blacks live in Democrat stronghold states which are not gonna vote for Trump anyways.

What blacks should do is hold Democrats accountable, they keep voting for Democrats and what have they receive in return?

Old 01-17-2020, 07:45 AM

5,980 posts, read 2,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It doesn't matter since majority of blacks live in Democrat stronghold states which are not gonna vote for Trump anyways.

What blacks should do is hold Democrats accountable, they keep voting for Democrats and what have they receive in return?

That is true for all voters regardless of race culture or what ever nonsense one wants to measure by and it rarely changes. There are plenty of 90%+ white crap hole communities and congressional districts that never change but the same Republican congressman or Senator gets voted in every time.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:47 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Let's face it, if Obama had done more for blacks, he would have been called out for favoring his own people over whites...…...you know that would happen. He had to walk a very fine line between caring about them and not caring too much.

But the greatest thing he did for black people is he became President. That had to be very encouraging for all African Americans to see that anything is possible in America, and that they could become President some day too. Up until that point, the odds of a black man, or woman, holding that position were very slim to none. Obama proved them all wrong.

(And he did 8 years in a dignified, intelligent manner, with no serious issues whatsoever)

Old 01-17-2020, 07:48 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
It's true. Most black people also find him to be a racist which is also true.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:49 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
That is true for all voters regardless of race culture or what ever nonsense one wants to measure by and it rarely changes. There are plenty of 90%+ white crap hole communities and congressional districts that never change but the same Republican congressman or Senator gets voted in every time.
AA's must be satisfied with the war on poverty LBJ started in the 1960's. Go figure.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:58 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Everything has a certain momentum. Also, large matters don't turn on a dime. Since the unemployment rate exceeded 10% in many places due to the GWB Great Recession, we were at least 7 years into continuous improvement when Trump got handed a great deck of cards.
Here is a chart showing the unemployment rate for black men over a period of almost 50 years:

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LNS14000031

(Hover your mouse over the chart to see monthly data.)

The rate was hovering in the 8 percent range for the latter part of GWB's presidency, but started a steep rise in the early part of 2008 -- "coincidentally" enough, around the time that it was looking more and more likely that Obama was going to be our next president. (Keep in mind, the economy doesn't just react to things that are happening right now; it also reacts to what the near-term future is expected to be.)

The rate went from 8.5 percent in March 2008 to 15.6 percent in March 2009 (two months after Obama took office) to a high of 19.3 percent in March 2010. Does Obama get any of the blame for this massive spike in black male unemployment? Not that I've been hearing.

Granted, the rate started coming down after that. Personally, I tend to think that this was due to the restraining actions of a Republican congress more than anything that Obama did. But I realize that presidents tend to be credited or blamed for economic performance on their watch, so if you want to give Obama credit for the improvement, I'm fine with that.

By March 2016, by which point the country's attention was focusing away from Obama and towards who the next president would be, the rate had dropped to 8.6 percent. In other words, the unemployment rate for black men was almost exactly the same during the golden sunset of the Obama presidency as it was at the depths of the "GWB Great Recession," as you call it. Even if the rate had stayed flat the entire time, the best that could be said for Obama would be that he made things no worse than Bush had. But a quick look at the chart will show that things were much, much worse under Obama.

By the way, the rate as of October 2019 -- over 2.5 years into Trump's presidency -- was 5.1 percent. This is the lowest it's been since the nearly identical rate of 5.2 percent was achieved, in December 1973. Let that sink in for a moment. In terms of unemployment, black men have been better off under Trump than at any time in the past 46 years. Did you hear that? FORTY-SIX YEARS!! Are you prepared to give Trump even a little bit of credit for this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies