Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2019, 06:19 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
You do realize that some wanted pregnancies go horribly wrong and require termination, right? I’ve already told my story. Abortion was the right path, and fortunately that choice was still available to me when I lived in Ohio two decades ago. The hospital where the procedure was complete was obviously not PP, but it was publicly-funded and remains so. The my taxes shouldn’t support abortions argument is specious. Your taxes support abortion with or without Planned Parenthood.
Exactly why PP abortion clinics aren't needed, or if they wish to continue, should be funded only by private payment/donations. Patients in your situation have their abortions completed in hospitals as they actually are medically necessary abortions, not just abortions for the sake of convenience because one has been irresponsible about contraception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 06:20 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Take it up with the departments of education and health and human services. I'm sure they'll be fascinated by your rhetoric.

See above.

And the state would fund programs like this with ... taxes.

I see you're confused about the difference between audits and tax returns, and between corporate tax returns and personal tax returns. Maybe you should educate yourself first about what an audit really is.

I see you're confused about a LOT OF THINGS!

Old 04-10-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
So you are in favor of shutting down your state university hospital that performs medical research for the benefit of the common good because an abortion might take place there today? (Very likely one is happening right now, btw.)

Wow!

So you grossly distort and over exaggerate issues WOW!

Old 04-10-2019, 06:23 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am pro-life and I am afraid this will lead to a surge in abortions in Ohio, because it will make it harder to get contraception. Why not keep PP and block their ability to perform abortions. The truth is that right-wing politicians want to keep abortion, because it's a great political tool. Banning it would mean giving away that tool.

Defunding everything PP does is only a political move to make it look like they are doing something about abortion, when in reality they are not because abortions were never funded by tax-money.
I'm confused.

Are they ordering all convenience stores, grocery stores, Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, Duan Reade, Rite Aide, Target, etc. to halt all sales of condoms?

Are they instituting a shutdown of all medical clinics in Ohio so there is zero access to any and all services?

No.

PP could disappear and the only difference would be fewer abortions.

PP does a horrible job educating it's customers on proper use of BC. Look at how many abortions they perform. If they truly were in the business to offer "BC" they would help women NOT need abortions. Abortions rates should have DROPPED in areas where PP is located.

They fail miserably. Ask why.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:24 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am pro-life and I am afraid this will lead to a surge in abortions in Ohio, because it will make it harder to get contraception. Why not keep PP and block their ability to perform abortions. The truth is that right-wing politicians want to keep abortion, because it's a great political tool. Banning it would mean giving away that tool.

Defunding everything PP does is only a political move to make it look like they are doing something about abortion, when in reality they are not because abortions were never funded by tax-money.
That is incorrect. In 17 states, they are funded with state taxpayers' money. Expect that to be challenged as it's unconstitutional. It violates some state taxpayers First Amendment Rights.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:27 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,843,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Apparently not, since you don't understand the difference between grants and reimbursements, 501c3 and 501c4 organizations, and individual and PAC political donations.

There's no low-cost, public clinic that provides birth control within 20 miles of the Planned Parenthood locations where I live and where I work - neither of which provide abortions.

https://www.elitedaily.com/news/poli...-think/2047873

And not a dime of the ODH grants to Planned Parenthood went toward abortion services.

The law is vindictive and singles out a specific organization. How constitutional is that?

LMAO.

That would be impressive - if it were true or even possible. The doctor, in a typical 8-hour day, would have to perform 5 procedures an hour. One every 12 minutes.

So you must believe that doctors who perform abortions are robots, working at a superhuman pace? Not even Henry Ford could design an assembly line that could accomplish a rate of 12/hour.

LMAO.

Because your math is faulty.
Watch this from someone more informed that most of us and was very pro PP and pro abortion.
She gives the accurate numbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MxgS95iN90

Old 04-10-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Okay, I’m not sure where the constitutional argument came from, but I want to go back to public funding for hospitals where abortions take place. Right now, this doesn’t come up because most anti-choice people have no idea that a woman in the university research hospital OB ward might be having an abortion right now. Those hospitals receive federal and state funds. People rail on about their taxes being used to support Planned Parenthood, believing that defunding is the solution, but they are blissfully unaware that their tax dollars will still be funding abortion through publicly-funded hospitals. And they’ll look the other way rather than stand by their principles and promote pulling funding from the university research hospital with the top-notch cardiac unit over abortion. Planned Parenthood is low-hanging fruit.
"New Report Shows Planned Parenthood Raked in $1.5 Billion in Taxpayer Funds Over 3 Years"

https://www.heritage.org/marriage-an...taxpayer-funds

That is Billion with a B. I DON'T call That "LOW hanging fruit"!

Old 04-10-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
This thread is a celebration of ignorance--Planned Parenthood educates a lot of women regarding contraception. Not only celebrating it, but encouraging it.

Better they should stay ignorant so that the same people moaning and groaning about PP, will then be moaning and groaning about too many unwed pregnancies.

"This thread is a celebration of ignorance-"

I think the same about YOUR post.

The discussion here is NOT the OTHER things Planned Parenthood does BUT, about ABORTION and the getting of fed money.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:39 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly why PP abortion clinics aren't needed, or if they wish to continue, should be funded only by private payment/donations. Patients in your situation have their abortions completed in hospitals as they actually are medically necessary abortions, not just abortions for the sake of convenience because one has been irresponsible about contraception.
So now we going to argue that my abortion choice was more valid than a woman who wants to terminate a pregnancy at eight weeks? I disagree. I think all women should have that choice. So much the better that someone aborts when the medical risks are so much lower than what I faced, which is why I was in a hospital under the care of a perinatalogist rather than in a clinic. A hospital is not the right setting for someone in the first trimester facing an uncomplicated abortion.

PP provides valuable services to a low-income community that does not have the same access to care that I had and have because I am educated, well-connected, and affluent. Defunding PP is the wrong path forward, especially given our president’s determination to dismantle the ACA.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:43 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
So now we going to argue that my abortion choice was more valid than a woman who wants to terminate a pregnancy at eight weeks? I disagree. I think all women should have that choice. So much the better that someone aborts when the medical risks are so much lower than what I faced, which is why I was in a hospital under the care of a perinatalogist rather than in a clinic. A hospital is not the right setting for someone in the first trimester facing an uncomplicated abortion.

PP provides valuable services to a low-income community that does not have the same access to care that I had and have because I am educated, well-connected, and affluent. Defunding PP is the wrong path forward, especially given our president’s determination to dismantle the ACA.
There are other medical clinics that are in the same areas that women can go to and receive BETTER care.

If PP disappeared, the only difference? Fewer abortions.

And if PP does such a bang up, stellar job "caring" for these women, why do so many need abortions?

I think they have proved what a colossal failure they are at providing BC and BC education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies