Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 11:02 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post
Argh! I reckon there is no end to mega-rich, uber-left arch-enemy double-standard.

Amazon Is on a Digital Book Burning Spree (Breitbart)

Under pressure from left-wing journalists and activists, Amazon is purging right-wing authors from its store, including a book co-authored by English Islam critic and independent commentator Tommy Robinson.

However....

Two of the most destructive books in history, Adolf Hitler’s Mein Kampf and The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels are available for purchase. So too are books by black nationalist Louis Farrakhan, notorious for his racist and anti-semitic comments — so it seems racial hatred isn’t subject to a blanket ban on Amazon either.

In the comments section, one person relates the similarity of Bezos to Dr. Evil.
There are plenty of on-line book sites these days, and Robinson's books such as Enemy of the State are still listed on Amazon in the UK.

Robinson has also been banned from twitter, facebook and instragram, whilst he's also recently virtually been deplatformed by youtube, after the Labour MP Tom Watson took it upon himself to write a letter to the Google CEO.

I found Watson's actions a little unsettling as firstly, should politicians really be dictating what we can and can's see or say and secondly Robinson's videos were not really breaking any rules, and he hadn't said anything unlawful or the police would have no dount be around to see him.

Watson has a history of badgering people and even supporting unproven sexual accusations which the police later had to apologise to the families of those involved, whilst the left wing Labour do little to address the Anti-Semitism complaints which has plagued the party in recent years.

I have in the past been critical of Robinson but I find Watson's behaviour disgusting, in relation to someone who hasn't broken any laws, indeed if he had broken the law he would have been arrested under Section 127 of the Communications Act or numerous other pieces of similar legislation.

You can read Watson's letter to the Google CEO, which is on official parliamentary stationary on the link below -

Tom Watson on Twitter: "I have written to Google CEO @SundarPinchai calling on him, as a matter of urgency, to remove the YouTube page of Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, aka Tommy Robinson"

YouTube restricts Tommy Robinson channel - BBC News

Tom Watson (Labour politician) - Wikipedia

Tommy Robinson banned from Facebook and Instagram | The Guardian

Corbyn criticised over handling of anti-Semitism cases - BBC News

Labour: 673 anti-Semitism complaints in 10 months - BBC News

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-08-2019 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 11:04 AM

18,735 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Another thread designed to bring attention to a person’s books or force his search count up. You guys are being fooled by these threads daily. All look like spam to me when you t take 5 sec to disprove.
This thread is not about the unending news coverage (for no charge) of Democrat candidates for President and their ludicrous ideas that get no analysis from any of the coverage. Though that coverage fits your description perfectly, much closer than what Amazon is doing to Robinson.

Please stop trying to change the subject.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:05 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Stores should be allowed to decide what they sell or don't sell.

They aren't public entities.

Victoria Secret does not have to sell men's underwear.

Amazon can choose not to sell whatever they want.

They have no moral or legal obligation to make sure they have the product you need or want.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:51 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Stores should be allowed to decide what they sell or don't sell.

They aren't public entities.

Victoria Secret does not have to sell men's underwear.

Amazon can choose not to sell whatever they want.

They have no moral or legal obligation to make sure they have the product you need or want.
Now you tell me. I just finished accusing my mechanic of yarn-burning for not selling knitting supplies.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:58 AM

5,981 posts, read 2,235,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
This thread is not about the unending news coverage (for no charge) of Democrat candidates for President and their ludicrous ideas that get no analysis from any of the coverage. Though that coverage fits your description perfectly, much closer than what Amazon is doing to Robinson.

Please stop trying to change the subject.
Ahh so this thread is a sleazy attempt to get views or potential buyers for this person's books? Why else would you be concerned with his media coverage over a Presidential Candidate?

So am I suppose to be upset that Presidential Candidates get news coverage and some author who no one knows outside of the conspiracy theory world could care less about. Mark Twain he is not.

And what Republican Presidential Candidate didn't get attention in 2015? If I recall there were 16+ candidates on the Republican Primary stage, all hawking books and other crap while running. Every guest on political shows are hawking books and speeches all day long. Seems your upset because no one wants to read the dribble written by this Robinson guy.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:00 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
It's a free market. If there is sufficient demand for these books, someone beside Amazon will offer them and Amazon will suffer the consequences of that decision.

As it should be.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:03 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Yep, you have to buy your white supremacist stuff somewhere else.

It's a business, and they choose what to sell and what not to sell.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-08-2019, 12:07 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Just checked, his books are still there......so FAKE NEWS

Old 04-08-2019, 12:11 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Just checked, his books are still there......so FAKE NEWS
Yeah, but not ALL of his books, so I am assuming it was particularly offensive. Not sure why some people think that businesses MUST meet all of their buying needs.

There's a million places to buy books.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-08-2019, 12:14 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,297 times
Why does Breitbart have a TOS saying they can remove user content? Shouldn't they have to publish everything under the standards being applied to Amazon here?

Don't buy there if you dont agree. Maybe they will notice if there are enough people that don't. But otherwise...free speech of the sort some of y'all think exists only applies to the government, not private businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies