Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2019, 05:21 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 23 hours ago)

35,579 posts, read 17,923,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
You don't care what I think yet you chose to acknowledge and respond to it....ask "any psychiatry student" what that means.

While it's true there may be females who let themselves go and got obese over past abuse or bad self esteem (toughen up buttercups), it's just as likely true that there are many who are just lazy, undisciplined slobs. And..I'm not referring to a few extra pounds but the heifers and bad hygiene crowd who deserve to be called out and criticized.
I will say, what Crone is saying is true.

When you work with kids in foster care, and you see they suddenly gain a lot of weight, let their hygiene go, or in any variety of ways make themselves look unattractive, the first thing you have to look at is whether they're being sexually abused.

When you say "toughen up buttercup", I'd say that's a pretty creative way to solve the problem of being sexually abused as a child. Make yourself an unlikely target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 06:03 PM

30,247 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
And, you assume this heavy-set woman got that way because of candy and soda pop.

She may not even consume that stuff.
Oh boy. Try reading what I wrote again.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:26 PM

2,362 posts, read 776,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
And, you assume this heavy-set woman got that way because of candy and soda pop.

She may not even consume that stuff.
They got it eating/drinking something with a ton of calories. Sorry, that weight didn't just create itself, it needs to be consumed first. Law of physics - energy cannot be created or destroyed.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:28 PM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
I don't think obese people want to see other obese people in their ads. Maybe I'm wrong.
You are wrong. Everyone wants to see themselves in advertising, so they can picture themselves in the situation the ad is presenting. Larger people wanting to see themselves in advertising are no different than little African American girls wanting dolls with skin the same color as theirs etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I So the viewer can look at her, and feel superior.
That's certainly evident by the majority of the denigrating posts in this thread.

Such as your very own post below. Do you feel better about yourself now?
Quote:
If you befriended her and wanted to go to the movies with her, she wouldn't fit in your car, and when you got to the show she wouldn't fit in a seat.
That's just utter bullcrap. And I suspect you know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
What are the reasons I wouldn't want to be friends with you, ClaraC? List them off for me. You don't have any photos on your profile, for some reason, so I can't judge what's "wrong with you" from your appearance.

Do you measure your friends' rears with a tape measure before you allow them into your vehicle? I never have. It's never occurred to me, actually. My friend's wheelchair fits into my car, so I imagine this model's big old butt would, too.
Right? I have some larger friends; they fit just fine into my Mazda3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
While it's true there may be females who let themselves go and got obese over past abuse or bad self esteem (toughen up buttercups), it's just as likely true that there are many who are just lazy, undisciplined slobs. And..I'm not referring to a few extra pounds but the heifers and bad hygiene crowd who deserve to be called out and criticized.
Another example of using denigrating language to feel better about one's self.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:31 PM

2,362 posts, read 776,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You are wrong. Everyone wants to see themselves in advertising,
What a ridiculous statement. I'll make it personal - I'm past my prime, I'm old. I don't want to see old people in ads and movies - I want to see young people.

But everyone is different, I'd just suspect most obese people want to see actually attractive people instead of unattractive people.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:25 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 23 hours ago)

35,579 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You are wrong. Everyone wants to see themselves in advertising, so they can picture themselves in the situation the ad is presenting. Larger people wanting to see themselves in advertising are no different than little African American girls wanting dolls with skin the same color as theirs etc.

Right? I have some larger friends; they fit just fine into my Mazda3.

Another example of using denigrating language to feel better about one's self.
Everyone has "larger friends" Ohiogirl.

And no, this one would not fit into your mazda 3.

This ad is not about everyone "seeing themselves in advertising". VERY, VERY few people are this heavy.

Dove certainly tried an ad campaign with "real women". It was a miserable failure marketwise, although it was lauded for being affirming. People just don't want to see themselves in cosmetic products advertising.

This ad is about being so far "out there" that people will discuss the ad, and thereby their shaving products.

It's about people wanting to stare at the circus fat lady, under the bizarre guise of "isn't she beautiful".

If you can't see that, they've reeled you in.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:43 AM

23,962 posts, read 15,059,733 times
Quote:
I will say, what Crone is saying is true.

When you work with kids in foster care, and you see they suddenly gain a lot of weight, let their hygiene go, or in any variety of ways make themselves look unattractive, the first thing you have to look at is whether they're being sexually abused.

When you say "toughen up buttercup", I'd say that's a pretty creative way to solve the problem of being sexually abused as a child. Make yourself an unlikely target.
Thanks,

Don't know why I am always amazed at the response from people who think everyone can just suck it up.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:53 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,167 times
I googled the Gillette ad to see what all the hoopla is about.

The model is a runner, hiker, dancer and yoga practitioner who promotes exercise and fitness products to a combined social media audience of 800,000.

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/lif...09-p51cdc.html

I am not pro or con about the Gillette ad, but thought the blog provided interesting insight.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:59 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I googled the Gillette ad to see what all the hoopla is about.

The model is a runner, hiker, dancer and yoga practitioner who promotes exercise and fitness products to a combined social media audience of 800,000.

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/lif...09-p51cdc.html

I am not pro or con about the Gillette ad, but thought the blog provided interesting insight.
There is no way she is a runner.

Her body could never withstand it. Her knees would be destroyed.

And the blog is all about how horrible people are to tell the truth. That's the whole point of it. How the stigma of weight is a health problem .... but being morbidly obese? Isn't.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:05 AM

23,962 posts, read 15,059,733 times
Even skinny runners sometimes have their knees destroyed.

DH was a runner. He had an accident that involved his legs. When the dr pronounced him ok DH asked if he could run again. The dr said if you were younger, I'd say no, but at your age go ahead on. Running 5 miles a day on pavement is not good for anyone's knees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies