Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 01:47 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I guess not...in the big picture of things. I mean....if blacks controlled the economy, the banks, the FED, the Military....had 15 times the wealth of whites....had 3 times less poverty than whites, etc, etc....do you think we would give a dam about being called the N word by whites? So you make a good point. But I do believe whites don't like being seen as racist.....by the same token....blacks really don't give a dam about not getting reparations....because we don't expects racist would ever provide it.
We aren't seen as being racist. Your mindless, baseless, accusations are a nullity.

If whites were the evil racists you accuse us of being, blacks would have been rounded up, post emacipation,
and repatriated to that mecca from which they came.

Question. do all those negatives you itemize above exist ONLY in the U.S. or do they comprise a world-wide sitch?

Old 04-09-2019, 01:49 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What about those with mixed ancestry, do they get half? Or do the victim/oppressor halfs cancel each other out?
What about me. I'm white, my ancestors never owned slaves, nor were they even in America at the height of slavery. Am I still on the hook?

Old 04-09-2019, 01:51 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
That comes to approximately several 100 thousand dollars per household. Good luck trying to convince Americans to accept that proposal!

https://face2faceafrica.com/article/...ns-for-slavery
why should the US have to pay for the slavery brought here by the British ??

Old 04-09-2019, 01:55 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
I guess not...in the big picture of things. I mean....if blacks controlled the economy, the banks, the FED, the Military....had 15 times the wealth of whites....had 3 times less poverty than whites, etc, etc....do you think we would give a dam about being called the N word by whites? So you make a good point. But I do believe whites don't like being seen as racist.....by the same token....blacks really don't give a dam about not getting reparations....because we don't expects racist would ever provide it.
This once was true, but the word has become so watered down and meaningless that it doesn't matter anymore. It just doesn't. People hire black employees and if they have to let them go - they're called racist. If we don't agree with the notion of reparations - we're called racist. If we say we support Trump (and I don't) we're called racist. Big yawn.

You know what's happening while we're being called racist over things you dislike? White hiring managers have become extremely cautious about hiring black people. It's a risk they don't want to take. That's not legal, but it's happening. Black folks are seen as a liability now. That's not nice, but it's happening.

Great job in working your way down the ladder.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:58 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Whatever those cause(s) are, they exist across the globe, and time, so obviously it wasn't black enslavement of other blacks who were then shipped to the colonies that is the cause.

What is the socio-economic status of blacks in Africa?

There is no "racism" in the countries that are 100% black. How are they doing these days?

Gee, given they had a chance to own property since the 1800s, they should be rolling in dough, if we are to believe the OP.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:02 PM

718 posts, read 599,280 times
Steele said it is “unimaginable” that anyone “would have the hubris to think you could resolve slavery” by making reparations.

Advocating for reparations means “holding onto an idea of justice that’s absolutely impossible,” he warned.

“Not only is it impossible, but it’s self-defeating because you have to continue to see yourself as a victim waiting around in life to be resurrected by the beneficence of the larger society, by white guilt,” Steele argued.

“And once again, you put your fate in the hands of other people rather than yourself.”

https://www.lifezette.com/2019/02/it...h-reparations/

Shelby Steele, brilliant.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:05 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,290 times
Quote:
You have an ideal of reparations as a check given to each descendant. I don't share that vision or view. So your question is moot.
We are never going to agree. However, I admire the fact that you are on here advocating for an idea that most don’t agree with. It can’t be easy. Take care and good luck.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:07 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why should the US have to pay for the slavery brought here by the British ??

Good point. There was no USA when slavery was introduced and became entrenched. Let them seek reparations from the British.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:08 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
This country is finished as a country if 1 freaking dollar of reparations is ever paid. Let's see..... the concept basically involves:

Take money from the producers....

To give to people who were NOT slaves......

And who's parents and grandparents were not slaves...….

All so the democrats can buy votes.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:30 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,577 times
Quote:
Nobody is talking about a check to people. I would be cool with 14 trillion targeted exclusively for policies and programs to improve the life of African Americans.
No, you wouldn't. Theres already billions of dollars set aside to help people succeed. Some people will always be so lazy that they just want a check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies