Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support Right-to-Work?
Yes 64 56.14%
No 50 43.86%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 10:07 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
who is "maria" a prostitute...…….?
Either I misspelled or they need protection from a wind. Even then it is spelt wrong. They call the wind Mariah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 10:10 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
and yet its strange how everyone and their brother seems to want to come to the US
Guarentee that trend will change soon enough... Plus many who want to come to the US dream of the coastal rich cities.. Not some small city that's struggling. Its human nature

Old 04-09-2019, 10:25 AM

1,705 posts, read 538,010 times
Quote:
and yet its strange how everyone and their brother seems to want to come to the US

Marketing.. America is a dream, when all you know about it, is all the movies and shows.
But when people realize that Hollywood movies are NOT the true US, reality sets in right quick.

Appalling healthcare system, poor workers rights, vicious police and sentencing for petty crimes in a for profitt correction system... wage stagnation, and MASSIVe amounts of people who don´t belive in Science.

After wanting to work and live in America almost my entire life.. it was first when I had serious medical issues myself, I realized our system is superior for everyday people!

If you have money in the US, its a great thing... if you are struggling with something, not so much!

Last edited by Northman83; 04-09-2019 at 11:32 AM..

Old 04-09-2019, 10:51 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
https://laborunionreport.com/2019/04...es-if-elected/

What does everyone think of Right-to-Work laws? It seems like a pretty basic right not to be forced to join or pay and organization against your will. Unions also use dues money for political lobbying that a member might not agree with. I have seen polls that show over 70% of the US people support Right-to-Work. Right-to-Work has been spread to 27 states now.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/right-to-work-2071691
Unions were created to keep those politically and racially out of a job and poor.
Control.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:58 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
I passed my own legislation this morning: The right to be free from involuntary 3rd parties when I negotiate terms on anything with another consenting party.

The vote was 1 yay, 0 nays...just for the official record.

Then I stamped a paper and shook my own hand.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:16 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
"Right to Work" is a word game. It's a right to exploit.

Not for nothing did this arise first in the south, and the earliest adopter states are to this day some of the poorest in our country.

The same political forces that promote "right to work" also are against workplace safety regulations and environmental protections. They have also opposed consumer financial protections, ethics oversight and electoral reforms. These are not the champions of rights, they are the champions of all manner of foulness and abuse.

“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits:
Are grapes gathered from thorns, or figs from thistles? In the same way, every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

Thus by their fruits you shall know them."
Matthew 7: 15-20

Old 04-09-2019, 12:23 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
I was a supervisor once. The union did everything it could to protect people who were stealing and committing payroll fraud. That just made the good worker's jobs harder. If a union acts like that people should be able to quit. Then the union would have to act more responsibly.
our union had a process to defend a worker accussed of any wrong doing. If he was guilty of such he was fired just like any employee. there are work rules in place. I don't see how that made a "good workers job harder" would you like to be accused of a crime and be denied a lawyer?

Old 04-09-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
The union can be a freeloader too. They take money and only help the people who deserve to get fired.
My union fought harder for safety rules than anything else. They literally saved lives.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
again it goes back to why unions were created in the first place. if they want to organize they can but the company should be able to fire all of them.
labor unions were created because of the treatment of workers. If companies could be relied upon to use fair and equitable work practices and environment.. there would be no need for unions. Business created unions.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The only "freeloaders" are the unions themselves, in particular the "officers" (shop stewards, union reps). They make a pile of money off the members that are pressured into paying "protection money" into their little club. Little different than organized crime-but without the integrity.

There are some exceptions. Some trade unions fund apprenticeships, train their members and assist them in finding jobs. But most just exist to extort unearned money from both the business, and from their own membership.
I don't know where you get this...……..our union reps were paid the same as if they had a regular job with the company...……...they were also elected by the members...……..didn't do their job.. they were out of office...….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies