Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2019, 03:18 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I was born pre-vaccine (1960). Yes, most had chickenpox, but until this thread I’d never heard of chickenpox parties or purposely infecting your child. My mom didn’t do so. My brother had them at 5. I had them a couple of years later at 7.

No one I know ever did so when my kids were young. If anyone had invited me to such a party I can assure you I’d remember. I always remember why I ceased to be friends with the few people I’ve distanced myself from over the years. Suggesting something like that would qualify.

In my circle of friends and family if your kids hadn’t had them, they got the vaccine when it became available.

You missed my point about pregnancy completely. My concern was NOT about when the kids got pregnant in the future, it was that avoiding pregnancy for the moms of those kids wasn’t as simple as taking a pill. The methods available were pretty fallible. What happened when a woman had her child infected and then found out she was as pregnant? You claim that was good for the kid. I’m stating it was pretty darn bad for that kids unborn sibling if moms immunity wasn’t enough or she had none.

Regarding unintended pregnancy. That’s yet another reason why a smart parent would have wanted to expose the kids young in the pre-vaccine era rather then wait until they were older. I did not claim that chicken pox in pregnancy was “good for the kid”. I have no idea where you got that from. I think you’re choosing to miss my point.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I contracted Chicken Pox when I was five. This was before the vaccine. I developed a secondary bacterial infection and came close to dying. I was so weak, I couldn't walk for almost two weeks after. I also live with permanent pox scars.

My mother didn't intentionally expose me to the Chicken Pox but I suppose mothers who did spread this disease like wild fire. Idiots!

FYI, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22614542

Bacterial Infections After Varicella
You’re also at risk from shingles, just like everyone else who lived in the pre-chicken pox vaccine era.

Mothers who intentionally ensured their kids got chicken pox early absolutely did not “spread the disease like wildfire”. Almost everyone got chicken pox back in the day. Some people were just were better at planning in order to reduce complications. You’re not making sense.

Last edited by MissTerri; 04-14-2019 at 03:31 PM..

Old 04-14-2019, 03:25 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Regarding unintended pregnancy. That’s yet another reason why a smart parent would have wanted to expose the kids young in the pre-vaccine era rather then wait until they were older. I did not claim that chicken pox in pregnancy was “good for the kid”. I have no idea where you got that from. I think you’re choosing to miss my point.
My point was that some still didn’t get chickenpox when young regardless of how hard their parents tried to infect them. Surely you’re not suggesting every single person had them? Statistics are 90% of adults have immunity due to having had chickenpox. That means 10% of adults were at risk.

Then they have a kid of their own and decide infecting them is a dandy idea. Sadly they’re successful and also accidentally pregnant. Did good result at that point for the unborn?

Last edited by UNC4Me; 04-14-2019 at 03:33 PM..

Old 04-14-2019, 03:28 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
You’re also at risk from shingles, just like everyone else who lived in the pre-chicken pox vaccine era.

Mothers who intentionally ensured their kids got chicken pox early absolutely did not “spread the disease like wildfire”. Everyone got chicken pox back in the day. They just were better at planning in order to reduce complications. You’re not making sense.
They absolutely did spread the disease. That was the whole point!

There would be no guarantee that an intentionally exposed child of any age would not have a complication.

Why are you continuing this line of thought? Do you think that in 2019 it is "better" to have chickenpox than take the vaccine?

Old 04-14-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
My point was that some still didn’t get chickenpox when young regardless of how hard their parents tried to infect them. Surely you’re not suggesting every single person had them?

Then they have a kid of their own and decide infecting them is a dandy idea. Sadly they’re successful and also accidentally pregnant. Did good result at that point for the unborn?
90% of people had chicken pox back in the day. Doesn’t it make more sense to at least try to plan when they were exposed rather then taking a chance that they got it when they were pregnant or when their kids become pregnant. Seriously. Take a step back and think. I can’t beleive that people are still not understanding this pages upon pages later. It was smarter to plan. That’s it.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:44 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
90% of people had chicken pox back in the day. Doesn’t it make more sense to at least try to plan when they were exposed rather then taking a chance that they got it when they were pregnant or when their kids become pregnant. Seriously. Take a step back and think. I can’t beleive that people are still not understanding this pages upon pages later. It was smarter to plan. That’s it.
You take a step back in time and tell me how successful pregnancy planning was in 1960. How many infected their kid and then found out they were pregnant even when they didn’t plan to be? Unless they were abstinent or post menopausal, women got pregnant ALL the time even when trying not to and 10% lacked immunity.

Here are some things they could look forward to:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...y/faq-20057886

Old 04-14-2019, 04:36 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
My point was that some still didn’t get chickenpox when young regardless of how hard their parents tried to infect them. Surely you’re not suggesting every single person had them? Statistics are 90% of adults have immunity due to having had chickenpox. That means 10% of adults were at risk.

That 90% is well within the range for Herd Immunity. You will never get 100%

Old 04-14-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The children don't have a choice. Medical Science is learning more and more about the sequels from contracting Chicken Pox, one of which is Multiple Sclerosis. https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...-virus-and-ms/

Who knew that the HPV virus caused the deadly cervical and throat cancers 30 years ago. Now we have a vaccination that prevents the cancer causing HPV infections. https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/hpv/basic...pharyngeal.htm
Since they just lowered the age for HPV vaccination to under 45, we shall see how many adults that age go out and get vaccinated. Herd Immunity and elimination of a disease doesn't just include children.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:52 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
That 90% is well within the range for Herd Immunity. You will never get 100%
And? Do you have a point? Not all adults feel the way you do about vaccines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Since they just lowered the age for HPV vaccination to under 45, we shall see how many adults that age go out and get vaccinated. Herd Immunity and elimination of a disease doesn't just include children.
Finally you get it. Everyone who is immune to a vaccine preventable disease contributes to herd immunity for it. That includes people like you who have had those diseases and adults who have been vaccinated.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
You take a step back in time and tell me how successful pregnancy planning was in 1960. How many infected their kid and then found out they were pregnant even when they didn’t plan to be? Unless they were abstinent or post menopausal, women got pregnant ALL the time even when trying not to and 10% lacked immunity.

Here are some things they could look forward to:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...y/faq-20057886
Actually I took the Pill in 1959 for bad heavy periods when I was 11. Took it again when I was 21 in 1969 for pregnancy prevention. It was available long time ago.

Measles vaccine in 1963. I was in HS. Majority of teens had already had it or been exposed to it. Why didn't they give it to us all anyway just to be safe???

1970's. I had my tithers done by my OB before I wanted to become pregnant. Why bother with that? Just vaccinate every woman of childbearing age since there was a vaccine then. Why bother to test for immunity?

Let's demand that all those elderly who had measles in their childhood be required to get vaccinated for measles anyway to be SAFE! What does the CDC say about this? Are they being too LAX in their standards? Only vaccines give immunity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies