Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2019, 06:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,628 posts, read 17,961,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
If the sight of two gay men is so offensive to you that you have to make an insulting comment at them, you are pathetic and very possibly a closeted homosexual and lashing out due to sexual frustration.
That.

We certainly see it over and over.

The discomfort some men have with seeing male couples is certainly a curious thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 06:14 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
If Republicans had their way, I'm certain it would be illegal for gay people to hold hands in public. Homosexuality would still exist, as it always has, but it would be pushed deep into the closet.

Part of the reason American Republicans are so sympathetic to Putin is they like his anti-gay propaganda law.
Why is it that some people are more accepting of a lesbian couple holding hands in public, but basically want to kill two gay men for doing the same thing? We have known many lesbian couples who have never had a problem in public showing modest affection, but the majority of our gay male friends outside of liberal big cities have had issues with homophobes to the point of assault at times.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:25 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Why is it that some people are more accepting of a lesbian couple holding hands in public, but basically want to kill two gay men for doing the same thing? We have known many lesbian couples who have never had a problem in public showing modest affection, but the majority of our gay male friends outside of liberal big cities have had issues with homophobes to the point of assault at times.
It’s not very fair, but I believe it stems from the history of promiscuous public behavior among gay men. I was born & raised myself in San Francisco and was aware at a rather young age of the gay men on Polk St. who enjoyed cavorting in public and in the bathhouses still in existence at that time. Some gay men frequent cruise locations, whereas lesbians generally don’t. Lesbians have historically been more covert with their libidos.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:26 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That.

We certainly see it over and over.

The discomfort some men have with seeing male couples is certainly a curious thing.
Such men absolutely don't like it. It makes them emotionally uncomfortable because it arouses their homosexual instincts. They have been instilled, such as at church, that homosexuality is one of the worse sins there is. In high school they bullied other guys for making them feel that way. Now decades later they may be talked about behind their backs as among the biggest closet cases in town. Probably many men are not 100% straight. Some deal with it just fine. Others can't.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:29 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Because the assailants are comfortable with their attraction to women engaging in lesbian acts - especially pretty ones - and they're uncomfortable with their attraction to men engaging in those acts?

Just a guess.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
It’s not very fair, but I believe it stems from the history of promiscuous public behavior among gay men. I was born & raised myself in San Francisco and was aware at a rather young age of the gay men on Polk St. who enjoyed cavorting in public and in the bathhouses still in existence at that time. Some gay men frequent cruise locations, whereas lesbians generally don’t. Lesbians have historically been more covert with their libidos.
When you talk about "historically" you're talking about very, very recent history, ATX.

"Historically" men didn't dare show their homosexuality. The love that dare not speak its' name. But yes, very recently, in communities where homosexuality is accepted, they do show it.

And by recently, I mean in the last 30 years or so.

Is it more obvious than heterosexuality - the kind of devotion, kissing, making out, that young heterosexuals do in public?

Old 04-09-2019, 06:39 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
When you talk about "historically" you're talking about very, very recent history, ATX.

"Historically" men didn't dare show their homosexuality. But yes, very recently, in communities where homosexuality is accepted, they do show it.

Is it more obvious than heterosexuality - the kind of devotion, kissing, making out, that young heterosexuals do in public?
I’m referring to the 60’s and 70’s. I’m sorry I wasn’t more detailed. Men most certainly showed their homosexuality off where I grew up, in SF in the 70’s. Gay bathhouses and cruising locales were extremely common, and men were very daring and risqué in public. It was not then nor is it common now to see lesbians engaging in that same level of open sexuality. Obviously I’m not speaking for every gay or lesbian here. Your mileage may vary.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:49 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
I used to be a ferocious homophobe. The sight of them enraged me. I didn't know any personally but felt qualified to judge and harass them.

Then one day I found out that one of my hunting buddies, drinking buddies and best friends was gay. Imagine my sense of betrayal. Why didn't he tell us? LOL I mean after all those gay jokes, gay bashing sessions, he should have felt it would be all good. Right?

The man that helped me build my house. The man that had my back when we served. The man who drove 800 miles to be at my side when my first born died shortly after birth.

I guess I had a decision to make. Well he is still my best friend today and his partner is family to me. Since that day of learning his secret I have gotten to know others. Yeah I felt a bit icky at first. Then I felt a lot of shame. Hating people we dont know is pretty lame.

Where I live now there are quite a few transgenders. Some I call friend.

The whole point of my post is simple. Gays, bi's, lesbians, transgenders? They really only want 1 thing. To live their lives without being harassed, discriminated against, or excluded from benefits everyone else is allowed to enjoy. In short they want the same freedoms as everyone else.
15 years ago a gay man or woman could not sponsor the person they loved for a Fiancee or marriage VISA.
30 years ago, smacking them around was no big deal.
Today people still judge, still discriminate, and still single them out for assaults.

I don't agree with all of their demands. Transgender male to female, competing against females? Wrong
Parents pushing a 5 year old to self identify as a different gender? A 5 year old is still looking at dirt and wondering if it will taste good. That said, every Transgender I know, claims that they always knew that they were really female. I just think that there are far too many well meaning parents trying to show how PC they are by programing their children to believe or behave in a certain manner.

Last edited by boneyard1962; 04-09-2019 at 07:19 PM..

Old 04-09-2019, 07:02 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I used to be a ferocious homophobe. The sight of them enraged me. I didn't know any personally but felt qualified to judge and harass them.

Then one day I found out that one of my hunting buddies, drinking buddies and best friends was gay. Imagine my sense of betrayal. Why didn't he tell us? LOL I mean after all those gay jokes, gay bashing sessions, he should have felt it would be all good. Right?

The man that helped me build my house. The man that had my back when we served. The man who drove 800 miles to be at my side when my first born died shortly after birth.

I guess I had a decision to make. Well he is still my best friend today and his partner is family to me. Since that day of learning his secret I have gotten to know others. Yeah I felt a bit icky at first. Then I felt a lot of shame. Hating people we dont know is pretty lame.

Where I live now there are quite a few transgenders. Some I call friend.

The whole point of my post is simple. Gays, bi's, lesbians, transgenders? They really only want 1 thing. To live their lives without being harassed, discriminated against, or excluded from benefits everyone else is allowed to enjoy. In short they want the same freedoms as everyone else.
15 years ago a gay man or woman could not sponsor the person they loved for a Fiancee or marriage VISA.
30 years ago, smacking them around was no big deal.
Today people still judge, still discriminate, and still single them out for assaults.

I don't agree with all of their demands. Transgender male to female, competing against females? Wrong
Parents pushing a 5 yearly to self identify as a different gender? A 5 year old is still looking at dirt and wondering if it will taste good. That said, every Transgender I know, claims that they always knew that they were really female. I just think that there are far too many well meaning parents trying to show how PC they are by programing their children to believe or behave in a certain manner.
I grew up being taught to hate blacks, gays, Jews, etc.
The hate defined me, not them. It is none of my business what anyone does as long as no one else is hurt. I have gay friends, black friends and Jewish friends. And it did not hurt me a bit.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:17 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I grew up being taught to hate blacks, gays, Jews, etc.
The hate defined me, not them. It is none of my business what anyone does as long as no one else is hurt. I have gay friends, black friends and Jewish friends. And it did not hurt me a bit.
Oh so true. I was raised about the same way. Those god damned jews. The negros are out of control. The slopes are taking over the world. Those pansies.

I am in a biracial marriage. I have an adopted black son. 2 beautiful mixed race daughters who are smarter than I ever was or will be. The irony is that I am still called a racist sometimes. I actually got into a spat with one of my son's teachers. The idiot was trying to teach my son to be a victim. A white person, never lived in a black neighborhood, never worked with blacks, never left the small town he grew up in.. I never came so close to strangling someone in my entire life. I taught my boy to stand tall and dont make excuses. Excuses bind us, enslave us, blind us from ways to succeed. They give us permission to fail, to quit, to not be everything we were meant or are able to be.

My son, is a welder. He makes more than I did when I retired. He is amazing. Annoying but amazing. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies