Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 05:14 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,275 times

Advertisements

A question I always have about reparations--why doesn't anyone ever talk about reparations for Asians. Blacks became citizens with the passage of the 14th Amendment in 1868. Asians were prohibited from citizenship well into the 20th century. There was an 'Asian Exclusion Act' of 1882, and 'Geary Act' of 1892. The latter required all Asians to register and carry papers that could be demanded at any time.

There were many lynchings of Asians, and organized efforts to completely extirpate them from the US. Yet as far as I know, there is no demand even from Asians themselves for reparations. In fact just the reverse--there are still ongoing attempts to discriminate against them in college admissions because they are seen as too successful.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:15 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
How does one objectively determine who is winning or losing a debate? What points did any of you make that demonstrated that I lost? I simply started another thread because I wanted to have what this person says have the attention. What she says is what I and most people who are aware of the history knows....but I love how she presented it.

Don't pat yourselves on the back....you might injure yourselves.

No, you misunderstand me. You win. You're not the only poster to have brought up the psychological impact slavery has had on AA's today - particularly with regard to black males.

My response then is the same as now. Let's get that fixed at no expense to you through free psychological counseling for life or as long as you feel it's needed.

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm being sincere with this.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:16 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
God gives you ONE shot at life on this Earth. I have no clue what is after but I know this, I wouldn’t waste my one shot obsessing over something that strangers went through 150 years ago.

What a pathetic waste of your life OP.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:17 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
No, you misunderstand me. You win. You're not the only poster to have brought up the psychological impact slavery has had on AA's today - particularly with regard to black males.

My response then is the same as now. Let's get that fixed at no expense to you through free psychological counseling for life or as long as you feel it's needed.

I would agree with this. Any black man who names himself "indentured servant" - 150 years after slavery ended - would gain from psychological counseling.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:21 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Tax payers are already paying reparations. It’s called welfare/public assistance.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:21 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

Send me some money because good therapy is like 150 dollars an hour and you are not going to get qualified people do it for free.....unless you enslave them.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:24 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think you got over that by inflicting the trauma that you felt upon others.

I think blacks did the same thing. That accounts for the massive amount of black crime inflicted upon whites.

So I guess blacks have already had a "catharsis" of their anxiety over slavery through the high rate of crime they have perpetrated upon the rest of America. I guess that is one way to "release tension"- crime.

Isn't that what you call "wildin' "?

Old 04-09-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
God gives you ONE shot at life on this Earth. I have no clue what is after but I know this, I wouldn’t waste my one shot obsessing over something that strangers went through 150 years ago.

What a pathetic waste of your life OP.

LOL...that is funny. You have no idea what I do with my life other than that which you are doing....which is posting on an internet forum. Are you projecting.....or are you just pulling my finger?

Old 04-09-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I think blacks did the same thing. That accounts for the massive amount of black crime inflicted upon whites.

So I guess blacks have already had a "catharsis" of their anxiety over slavery through the high rate of crime they have perpetrated upon the rest of America. I guess that is one way to "release tension"- crime.

Isn't that what you call "wildin' "?

Massive.....lol....when a group of people are used to having blacks sent to jail or killed for simply looking at them the wrong way....every act of crime by blacks against a white person is a massive assault on white humanity that needs to result in the put down of all black people. The fact of the matter is that blacks kill far more other blacks than they kill whites. Yes....we inflict our trauma upon others.....but since the people we are around the most look like us...that is who we inflict it upon.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:40 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
I only listened to the first video - the 3 minute one - and won't listen to the one that's over an hour. I got the gist.

And yes, it's true. The behaviors of people with PTSD are adaptive and useful when they are in the dangerous situation that created those behaviors - there is a NEED to be hypervigilant, quick to a defense pose and anger, etc.

Those behaviors become maladaptive and useless when the person with PTSD is in a safe environment. Then, those useful behaviors become very problematic.

This isn't just true of people who descend from family lines that were enslaved.

This is true of people who descend from family lines of poverty and violence, also.

So, yes. A child who is raised by maladaptive parents who are unsuccessful navigating the social and economic structure, will pass those maladaptive behaviors on to their children, who will model them in their own parenting.

Which makes the idea posed here of free counseling and behavior modification therapy for all descendants of former slaves an interesting one.

Because they DON'T have PTSD. They merely have the maladaptive behaviors they've learned from generations ago, when their ancestors DID have PTSD.

So now what do you do, except have whites and recent African immigrants come in and model appropriate social and parenting behavior? That seems far-reaching and paternalistic.

I will add, that it makes it a little hard to argue that the violence being experienced currently among young Black men is a direct result of PTSD from several generations ago; since this violence they are visiting on each other wasn't nearly this bad generations ago. It's getting progressively worse.

Maladaptive behaviors should be getting fewer, not more, as the generations are born and mature.

Last edited by ClaraC; 04-09-2019 at 05:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies