Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 08:46 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
A very significant portion of the people in CA and NY(especially the city) don't own any kind of home-they rent apartments. With a mobile home, you at least have SOME asset. And most are larger than most apartments (though of course that varies). Apartment living is the bottom of the barrel, significantly below a mobile home-even in a mobile home park. You throw your money away every month to make a landlord well off.
I wouldn't want to carry a mortgage on a piece of property guaranteed to depreciate every year. Many mobile home owners also don't own the land under there homes they rent it or lease it. Not a good thing when the lot owner can jack up your rent. Sometimes renting gives you options that being tied down to a piece of unsalable property eliminates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 08:48 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Do you have a link to show that 15% of those homes are mobile homes? I'm calling BS on your post as elitist propaganda.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 04-17-2019 at 12:42 AM..

Old 04-10-2019, 08:50 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Here again. Many far prefer an apartment. No upkeep of a yard. If something breaks you just make a call and it's fixed. There are very few reasons to condemn the choices of others.
But WHY would anyone choose to live that way-with no yard, no storage, no space, no asset of value? Just to throw their money away every month. I understand that some people can't get ahead enough to make a down payment on a house (or even a mobile home)-but still, apartment living sucks both personally and economically. Their choice I guess-don't have to understand it.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:53 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
More welfare I guess.....

"West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice promised to wipe out his family's debt from mine safety violations when he ran for governor in 2016. Instead, that debt has more than doubled since NPR first reported on it in 2014, amounting to millions of dollars."

"That's the highest delinquent mine safety debt in the U.S. mining industry — and those unpaid violations have been a chronic problem for the Justice family for years, despite many promises to pay."

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/10/71136...promises-to-pa

Old 04-10-2019, 08:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
But WHY would anyone choose to live that way-with no yard, no storage, no space, no asset of value? Just to throw their money away every month. I understand that some people can't get ahead enough to make a down payment on a house (or even a mobile home)-but still, apartment living sucks both personally and economically. Their choice I guess-don't have to understand it.
None of my business nor my concern. They obviously have their reasons (a couple valid ones were noted). There are people who simply LOVE to live right smack in the midst of a big city. Apartments are perhaps their only choice. I dunno, maybe they prefer a Broadway show over spending the weekend on their yard. Their choice. IMO there are no wrong choices.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:55 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Mobile homes, like cars, depreciate. They become liabilities, not assets.

HUD projects the lifespan of the average mobile home to be about 35 years, depending on maintenance. HUD determined such homes built before 1976 to be worthless.

If not for some form of Federal Government juice ( FHA/VA/FHLMC/FNMA, it is near impossible to finance a mobile home.
As far as mobile homes "built before 1976 to be worthless"-the same can be said of any home if no or minimal maintenance has been done with it. But you're right-a 50 year old mobile typically isn't worth much-unless you own the property it sits on. Once again though-it still beats throwing money away on apartment rent. At least you own something-limited though it might be. And you actually have a yard and a place to park a vehicle without paying extra. Add to that-lot rent is actually less than many apartment rents. Oh-and there are plenty of 50 year old rentals (apartments or homes) that don't look much better than that 50 year old mobile.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:59 PM

623 posts, read 233,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Who would want to live in West Virginia?
If their vaccine laws were different I would. Its a beautiful state.

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
To each their own. Some folks enjoy apartment living. Me I am a country person. I like space, but I also know that it isn't for everyone.

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
More welfare I guess.....

"West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice promised to wipe out his family's debt from mine safety violations when he ran for governor in 2016. Instead, that debt has more than doubled since NPR first reported on it in 2014, amounting to millions of dollars."

"That's the highest delinquent mine safety debt in the U.S. mining industry — and those unpaid violations have been a chronic problem for the Justice family for years, despite many promises to pay."

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/10/71136...promises-to-pa
Justice is a BIG reason I said I would not defend WV politics. I told my (D) friends to not vote for him but they did anyway and now regret it. The (R) candidate was a horrid choice but the (D) could have easily picked someone in the primary other than Justice.

Corrupt hypocritical SOB.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:01 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The only way they were more expensive is if you lived somewhere clear out in nowhere and the only easy option was some small locally owned place. Wal-Mart is Wal Mart. They are all over. Gas is always cheaper than N.J.

I'm from Cleveland Ohio. I like that salt isn't used that much. It always sucked when your car would start rusting after being just a year old.

Parents have been in a constant battle with the corporate interests in Charleston (the state Capital). We ticked them off big time last year when we came out in large numbers to support the teachers over tax cuts. Beating them so far this year also but the battle is still on.

Probably a good point.
Mind you, when we lived there, there were no super Walmarts yet. We had one but it didn’t sell groceries. They hadn’t come that far yet.

I wasn’t super rural but in Bridgeport. My grocery bill shot up. I can remember being angry citing the differences in item prices. We moved there to be close to family and cheaper cost of living. The cheaper cost of living didn’t work out at all.
I was always a coupon shopper. I had a choice of two stores. I was so upset at not only the prices but the taxes on top of it. NJ didn’t have any taxes on groceries. Gas is still cheaper in NJ. NJ has notoriously had cheap gas in the past. It used to drive me crazy that I had to pump my own AND pay more for it. Just in the past two years, NJ has increased their gas taxes so it went up a little. Still cheaper there than PA.

I get the salt and the rust but to keep the kids out of school because the roads are a mess? Nope. Not acceptable.

We have teachers in the family there. Side note, this is a HUGE family. I joke that I should just send a box full of Christmas cards to the post office and just have them deliver to every address because we’re probably related or friends.
Anyway, we were very much on top of the teacher support last year going on. It was nice to see. I do think if they offer better pay, they will attract more quality teachers and hopefully their national ranking will go up. The teachers in our family are hoping the same result. Many teachers they’ve worked with have left for better salaries in other states. That’s a shame for the WV kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies