Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2019, 08:32 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The problem is if the Presidential candidate is not on the ballot fewer of those of the same party come out to vote so (R)'s also lose down ballot elections.
I see that as a problem. However the Illinois Republicans can nominate someone else for the purpose ... or, Trump could release his returns. He has that option.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
One thing about Trump, he is shaping future presidential candidate guidelines

Moving forward, I think it should be made MANDATORY that anyone running for POTUS must release their tax returns.

Also, anyone running for POTUS must have served in the govt at some capacity. Municipal govt, state, federal, or military service. Trump has absolutely no understanding of how govt works, and moving forward it should be a requirement to run the country.
Because those who came up through the system have done such a great job? Eisenhower never held elected office before running as president and most people believe he did a pretty decent job.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I see that as a problem. However the Illinois Republicans can nominate someone else for the purpose ... or, Trump could release his returns. He has that option.
Of course he can. He promised he would. There is my rub. He promised he would. And I will note, I have slammed Obama for years for not doing the things he promised he would as a candidate.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:38 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
One thing about Trump, he is shaping future presidential candidate guidelines

Moving forward, I think it should be made MANDATORY that anyone running for POTUS must release their tax returns.

Also, anyone running for POTUS must have served in the govt at some capacity. Municipal govt, state, federal, or military service. Trump has absolutely no understanding of how govt works, and moving forward it should be a requirement to run the country.
Let’s go two steps further with that ANYONE whose running for office, mayor, governor, city council, president.
Has to show their tax returns. AND show ANYONE whose being supported by special interest groups.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:42 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
even my large family of life long Democrats are in agreement the TDS on display in this country will cause them to do what they have never done before ...vote Republican in 2020.

I see a landslide coming.
Most Trumpies are natural Democrats. They have a hard time coming to grips with it but they share Democratic values. There is an unsettling disconnect between the Trump voting base and the Republican big donor base. The Republican party is very unstable as a result, and when Trump retires from politics, there is no obvious way forward for the coalition.

If Trump supporters were Blue Dog Democrats, they could be a powerful force in the party and help shape the future direction of the country, the Democratic Party is their natural political home.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:12 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The law says that a presidential candidate must born in the U.S.A. Having an American mother doesn't mean one was necessarily born in the U.S.A. An American mother can give birth in a foreign country.

Releasing tax returns for a presidential candidate was never a law. The Democrats in IL are only now changing the rules specifically to target Trump in 2020.

Big difference but of course, I don't expect you Democrats to admit to seeing that difference.
and many Republicans didn't seem to know that Hawaii was part of the US.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:43 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,120,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Trump2020
Nobody 2020.

Taxation is theft.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:45 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,087,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Let’s go two steps further with that ANYONE whose running for office, mayor, governor, city council, president.
Has to show their tax returns. AND show ANYONE whose being supported by special interest groups.
Totally on board with that.

Even Trump supporters would probably be okay with ut too, as long as Donald Trump doesn't have to LOL. But moving forward in the future

Old 04-13-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think the Red States will keep all but Pro Life candidates off their ballots and Trump could wrap up 2020 election early and there will be no reason to have the election....wouldn't that be nice
Dream on!

Old 04-13-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Trump is probably playing the Democrats and they are taking the bait. He'll wait to release his returns just right before the elections and then it will be a big nothing burger, which will then make the Democrats look bad again, just like their Russian collusion story.
He won't release his returns. Congress will get them but he won't release him to the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies