Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 09:55 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
This is overblown. Stop exaggerating. Yes, Minister Louis Farrakhan has controversial anti-semitic views, but he is far from the "vile piece of garbage", you are making him out to be.
OMG! Of COURSE he's a vile piece of trash! You've reduced his disgusting comments - for example, Jews are termites - as merely "controversial"? Stop downplaying this monster's reprehensible anti-semitism!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 09:56 AM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I can't believe the crap that Farrakhan says and I'm shocked that he's not more universally denounced. All of this oh he's not that bad type of comments in mind numbing to me.

He's a pig and should be treated as such.
People are afraid of being considered "racist" if they criticize any person of color, from Farrakan to Omar to Joanne Chesimard.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I know all the stuff Farakhan has said about Jews and gay people.

But I also don't think that Newsweek should have made their piece about him much at all since it was about the funeral of Nipsey Hussle.

I think you all get too upset and riled up about Farrakhan. There aren't black people going around murdering Jewish people in synagogues. You should be more concerned about Christian white men who actually harm Jews IMO.

Not saying that Farrakhan is a totally positive guy, but most of you who post about him, it comes off as defensive to me, like you may have the same views of Jews and gays as Farrakhan but you are spoken ill about your views and you are mad that Farrakhan isn't all the time.

I'll also note that Farrakhan has always been controversial both within and outside of black America. IMO he was a speaker at Nipsey's funeral because Nipsey was influenced by NOI teachings regarding owning and investing in black neighborhoods/people and living a more peaceful life of unity within black America. That sort of program/initiative is the main reason why black people in particular give Farrakhan a lot of "passes" on his racism and homophobia 1 - because he actually does own and invest in black people and encourages them/us to do the same and 2 - because he doesn't have a history of violence against anyone (depending on who you talk to) and doesn't condone random violence or attacks on people who he/his organization doesn't agree with and without cause.
Oh, so you are willing to acknowledge that Farrakhan is not a totally positive guy? How generous of you. And then you go on to excuse and defend him by saying how he's so helpful to black people?

Yet you are the first to fight back against racism! Clearly, you are willing to accept his reprehensible comments against Jews-the-termites because he's been good for blacks. in other words, you are saying that antisemitism should be tolerated of the antisemite is good for a minority group you identify with.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:03 AM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
People are afraid of being considered "racist" if they criticize any person of color, from Farrakan to Omar to Joanne Chesimard.
Yeah maybe. If we've gotten to that point in our country then it's a sad day. People should be criticized for bad behavior, black white, or purple.

It shouldn't matter.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
What Farrakhan could do is speak for an allegedly leaderless Muslim religion in actively condemning the violence so many of them foment and commit. If the religion is "peaceful" its recognized leaders should speak up. That includes you, Rev. Farrakhan.
Not only will pigs fly when that happens, I'll eat a slice of fried pig.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Hypocrites provide cover for farrakhan . these hypocrites find it reprehensible when bigoted and hateful rhetoric is directed at them, but dismiss farrakhan's rhetoric toward jews as benign.
Yes, and this is what I refer to as "soft anti-semitism," which is becoming more and more prevalent among Democrats. It is when they diminish, tolerate, excuse, or outright deny antisemitic comments.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:38 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Quote:
What Farrakhan could do is speak for an allegedly leaderless Muslim religion in actively condemning the violence so many of them foment and commit. If the religion is "peaceful" its recognized leaders should speak up. That includes you, Rev. Farrakhan.
Not only will pigs fly when that happens, I'll eat a slice of fried pig.
He is a man of the cloth, no?

Old 04-29-2019, 01:32 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
I think the NOI, by far, is the strongest black organization there is.....as it is solely supported by black people. Now, I do not agree with everything its leader and the organization says....and I probably would not want to live in a society where they ran things.....I have more respect for the entity than any other black organization.

The NOI and the Rastafarians are the two groups that are still holding down the struggle for black people.

They have my respect ...but that does not mean I take what they advocate hook line and sinker.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:56 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
He is a man of the cloth, no?
He claims to be. Anybody can do that.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:40 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I couldn't give a crap less about finances and assets.

Hateful rhetoric is hateful rhetoric, I don't judge other than what people say and do.

You can't call a group of people "termites" and get a pass from me.

So are you or are you not a Trump supporter then? He says lots of hateful rhetoric as well and is actually the president.

On the bold, many people do give a crap about the above. Especially a demographic like black America that has a history of poverty and is trying to rise in stature. The lure of NOI's program is very appealing to them and they will overlook the rhetoric and pay attention to what they feel will be beneficial for them personally or for their community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Oh, so you are willing to acknowledge that Farrakhan is not a totally positive guy? How generous of you. And then you go on to excuse and defend him by saying how he's so helpful to black people?

Yet you are the first to fight back against racism! Clearly, you are willing to accept his reprehensible comments against Jews-the-termites because he's been good for blacks. in other words, you are saying that antisemitism should be tolerated of the antisemite is good for a minority group you identify with.

You often post highly emotional responses it seems to anything mentioned about Farrakhan. I don't like his hateful rhetoric either and don't give him a pass on anything. Just stated why he continues to have some support in black America. I actually do not like NOI at all due to their racism and downright ignorance regarding the human race - but I do know about their support of black economics. I also support black people owning and controlling their/our neighborhoods and having better finances/economic situation for ourselves, families, and individuals.

For me it is interesting that many of the right wing posters always want to tell black people to "do" certain things. Most of the things they are telling black people to "do" are the same ones that Farrakhan says too lol. And contrary to what many of those posters and people on the right believe, black people do want to and actually "do" those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think the NOI, by far, is the strongest black organization there is.....as it is solely supported by black people. Now, I do not agree with everything its leader and the organization says....and I probably would not want to live in a society where they ran things.....I have more respect for the entity than any other black organization.

The NOI and the Rastafarians are the two groups that are still holding down the struggle for black people.

They have my respect ...but that does not mean I take what they advocate hook line and sinker.

On this, I respect a lot of people for different reasons. However, I consider myself for "all" black people and IMO NOI is not for "all" black people. Due to this, I don't respect or even let the persons I know who are NOI or members of similar groups speak to me or even speak in my presence about any of their racist or homophobic beliefs in particular without me stating something to the contrary, and because of that, I am rarely invited anymore to their events/homes.

I don't like intolerance and especially don't like intolerance within black America (especially in regards to homophobia and misogyny/patriarchy in black America) and if one is not "for" all black people then in my mind I cannot support them.

I only respect their position on economics and that is all. Everything else they are kind of nutcases IMO. They do have a very unique, interesting history though. The history of black nationalists in particular in America is a fascinating subject. I did a thesis paper about it many years ago and found the FBI files on Wallace Fard Muhammad (which basically stated he was a white man!) and Elijah Muhammad to be especially interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
View detailed profiles of: