Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 03:21 PM

476 posts, read 1,131,591 times

Advertisements

MGTOW aka Incels (Involuntary Celibates) are known to despise, degrade and attack women.

When researcher Katie Bouman received attention for developing the black-hole algorithm, men attacked her, dismissed her and went in search of a male scientist to celebrate.

The primary developer on the project, Andrew Chael, came to his colleague's defense.

Quote:
People online are using the fact that I am the primary developer of the eht-imaging software library ... to launch awful and sexist attacks on my colleague and friend Katie Bouman.

...she's pointing out that this was a team effort including contributions from many junior scientists, including many women junior scientists.

...while I appreciate the congratulations on a result that I worked hard on for years,” he added, “if you are congratulating me because you have a sexist vendetta against Katie, please go away and reconsider your priorities in life.
Andrew Chael slams sexist trolls using his work on black hole project for 'sexist vendetta' against Katie Bouman

Old 04-12-2019, 03:25 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,902,731 times
Is it any better to constantly go searching for some incredibly small segment of people that don't amount to anything to create a rant over?

She has been celebrated all over the place by probably (and I admit I'm guessing here) 99.9999% of the people who have an interest in this. Do the rest even matter? Why give them the time of day?

Old 04-12-2019, 03:40 PM

77,787 posts, read 59,928,695 times
I sit back and note the criticisms professional athletes, entertainers, politicians...heck EVERYBODY has to endure and these are the very top performers male or female.

So yeah, on-line trolls are going to target you even if the vast vast vast majority of people like and respect you.

So I'm going to issue one big fat "stop being thin skinned whiners" to Thehill and the entire team that worked on the black hole imaging project for not only feeding the trolls but crying about it which is exactly what they want.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,540,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
MGTOW aka Incels (Involuntary Celibates) are known to despise, degrade and attack women.

When researcher Katie Bouman received attention for developing the black-hole algorithm, men attacked her, dismissed her and went in search of a male scientist to celebrate.

The primary developer on the project, Andrew Chael, came to his colleague's defense.

Andrew Chael slams sexist trolls using his work on black hole project for 'sexist vendetta' against Katie Bouman
I think you are making the same mistake that you attribute to Incels
I read article where Chael denoted being the prime motivator—that most of the code came from already existing files and cooperative effort helped create the smaller amount that actually drives the software
Calling him the “primary developer” is exactly what those trying to slam Bouman claimed...

Old 04-12-2019, 04:15 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,399,342 times
MGTOW and incel are not the same thing. Good grief, you have the internet, use it!

Old 04-12-2019, 06:42 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,127,934 times
Quote:

Excuse me? Involuntary celibate?

Uh no, voluntary celibate. I chose this way, not circumstance.

So the term incels is incorrect. Probably made up by frustrated women.

And I attack no one unles an attack has been precipitated against me.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:03 PM

15,855 posts, read 6,663,763 times
Funny.............when I think of Scientist the word female or male never registers.......only MENSA.
We can all learn something from this.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:22 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,026,871 times
I don’t understand, I guess ... Everyone who puts something, or gets put on a post on social media gets a few dissenters. A thumbs up, thumbs down, an anonymous comment here & there.

So what?

I mean; I’ve gotten disparaging comments via unsigned rep points here on CD. It’s annoying because it leaves me with no way to respond but I figure maybe that person feels they are being more polite doing it that way, rather than to call me out in a thread?

I think I’d be more annoyed if someone tried to call attention to it by starting a thread titled; “stop criticizing coschristi with unsigned comments on rep points”. He could have just countered those posters on the original tweet but by starting his own he turned it into a “thing”.

Better yet; an accomplishment by team effort shouldn’t have been used to champion “women in STEM” in the first place; it should have been about the teams accomplishment. I have twin 17 year old daughters who have been building robots on their High School’s robotics team for four years now & they have both been elected into leadership roles but they ARE part of a TEAM.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:44 PM

52,219 posts, read 33,969,431 times
Quote:

chael wasn’t the primary developer.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:54 PM

17,642 posts, read 13,466,741 times
I don't know what the big deal is anyway. These astrophysicists are making up this stuff about black holes as a scare tactic to milk more grant money from the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies