Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 09:52 AM

669 posts, read 320,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Well.. Russia killed 80% of all Germans soldiers... and most of their good troops.
When you say Russia, do you mean entities that are not considered of the male variety? As far as I know, it was Russian (Soviet) men that did the killing and got killed.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:58 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The high rate of suicide in men is because of the oppressive PC SJW left wing radical matriarchal system. Boys cannot be boys anymore. Imagine if we told girls they should not act like girls anymore.
If I hear the word "Empowerment" for women and girls one more time, my head is going to explode.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:05 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,192 times
In effect, the left-wing liberal definition of toxic masculinity;

Any person born with male genitals who grew into a person who wants to use those genitals in combination with female genitals, or anyone regardless of gender, that advocates this should be allowed.

...we're getting sick of this liberal dumb s--t...

Old 06-10-2019, 10:12 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The high rate of suicide in men is because of the oppressive PC SJW left wing radical matriarchal system. Boys cannot be boys anymore. Imagine if we told girls they should not act like girls anymore.
There is a lot of pressure for girls not to be classically feminine. They can dress sexy but that is supposed to signify female sexuality and empowerment, not traditional femininity.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:16 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
When you say Russia, do you mean entities that are not considered of the male variety? As far as I know, it was Russian (Soviet) men that did the killing and got killed.
One of the best snipers of the war was a chick.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:20 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
There is a lot of pressure for girls not to be classically feminine. They can dress sexy but that is supposed to signify female sexuality and empowerment, not traditional femininity.
I see a lot of that, and also the promotion for girls to be "strong". You know, athletic, sweaty, dirty, etc. I have no problem with any of that, but I'd rather they clean up before we go out. lol!

Old 06-10-2019, 10:27 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
One of the best snipers of the war was a chick.
There are sex-related reasons for that.

A number of years ago, I was a leader in a military-styled youth group for both girls and boys ages 8 to 18. We took them out on camping trips several times a year, in which we did military-style games such as capture the flag.

Two observations:

I could put a girl in camouflage, set her beside the trail, and tell her, "Sit perfectly still. When one of other team walks by, you can reach out and tag him. If you sit perfectly still, he won't even see you."

Or when we played capture the flag by moonlight, I could set a girl in a moon shadow and say the same thing: "Sit perfectly still. When one of other team walks by, you can reach out and tag him. If you sit perfectly still, he won't even see you."

Girls could do that every time. Boys--most of them simply could not sit still long enough to let the opposing player get close--they'd almost always leap out too soon.

Being a sniper usually requires being able to stay still, stay silent for long, long stretches of time. I'm not surprised at all that some of the most effective natural snipers have been women, particularly in times when selection and training have been luxuries.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:29 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I see a lot of that, and also the promotion for girls to be "strong". You know, athletic, sweaty, dirty, etc. I have no problem with any of that, but I'd rather they clean up before we go out. lol!
But some girls aren't cut out for toughness and they get bullied, for being feminine. And if a girl is particularly "strong" with naturally masculine traits, they make them question their gender.

It's all a big mess - to confuse, divide and conquer. One thing for sure, it all works against the concept of traditional family and gender roles.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:40 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Short Answer: Pressure for boys to "be a man" (i.e. don't be weak, don't show softer feelings - especially feelings of distress) is actually mentally unhealthy. Even without male-female gender relations dynamic, there'd still be a toxicity to masculinity, especially pressure to conform to a societally idealized gender archetype (in this case, a narrow type of masculinity). Personally, I don't worry about manliness at all. Though I'm certainly cisgendered male, I just don't consider masculinity as the core of my identity - but that's a whole other tangent. That still doesn't change the fact that shaming unmanly men very likely contributes to the high rate of male suicide, especially in the Intermountain West.

https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2...is-in-turmoil/
If there's one thing ex-gay conversion therapy instilled in me that has stuck with me it's this. I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I do try very hard to present myself as a man's man. I vent my emotions online on forums anonymously like this but in real life, I'm pretty good at conforming to masculine norms and not showing too much emotion or weakness.

Growing up I was not and I went through quite a bit of bullying, especially in middle school and early high school.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:39 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Short Answer: Pressure for boys to "be a man" (i.e. don't be weak, don't show softer feelings - especially feelings of distress) is actually mentally unhealthy. Even without male-female gender relations dynamic, there'd still be a toxicity to masculinity, especially pressure to conform to a societally idealized gender archetype (in this case, a narrow type of masculinity). Personally, I don't worry about manliness at all. Though I'm certainly cisgendered male, I just don't consider masculinity as the core of my identity - but that's a whole other tangent. That still doesn't change the fact that shaming unmanly men very likely contributes to the high rate of male suicide, especially in the Intermountain West.

https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2...is-in-turmoil/
I've been seeing that played up a lot lately, based on recent suicide statistics, and it's really a basically inane error in interpreting data.

First, what has suddenly caught everyone's attention is the major uptick of suicides among white men in the 55-65 age group. That's real data.

The error is in the interpretation based on a love of a particular feminist theory (as I was taught in military intelligence, "Never fall in love with your own theory").

The article notes very briefly, for instance, that this statistic is not uniform across men of different racial groups or ages or nationalities. Nor has it been uniform over time even for white males.

Why would it not have been the case for the same age group, for instance, in the 60s or 70s or 80s when social stereotypes were far more pronounced for those men than it was for men who were youths in the hippy-dippy 60s? Why didn't men who were in the 55-65 age group commit suicide at such rates in the 70s--heck, they were raised in the Depression and went through WWII...when men were certainly expected to be hyper-manly?

The reason is because of the unique factors of the Great Recession, in which the exodus of manufacturing from the US to China put that particular group of men out to pasture at a time that they still bore considerable responsibility for supporting their families. I was personally spared the problem--to a great extent because of fortune, not because I was necessarily so much smarter than anyone else--but I saw it happening to men around me of my age.

Nor is there an easy fix for the problem. The bills don't go away and it's not particularly easy to "reinvent" yourself from a $60,000-a-year-with-benefits manufacturing job to any other $60,000-a-year gig at age 60. It's mostly impossible.

And, no, suicides did not spike for men who suddenly lost the meaning of their lives because their masculinity was toxic. Suicides spike in every category of people who suddenly see no meaning in their lives. Suicide rates spike for 16-year-old girls who suddenly see no meaning in their lives. The realization of one's own irrelevance is probably one of the top reasons for suicide in all post-puberty age groups.

In fact, I suspect we'll actually see a spike in female self-adverse actions of some kind in a couple of decades when all these girls who have been trained that they can all be Captain Marvel discover in late middle age that it's not going to happen.

Notice that the article avoids comparing suicide rates of black men with white men. That's because the situation hasn't changed substantially for black men (for whom employment and underemployment has always been epidemic), so their suicide rates haven't shown the same spike.

Nor is it comparing Gen-Xers, who haven't hit that particular wall of sudden irrelevance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies