Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 06:07 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
No it's not admirable. Neither is it constitutional. All officers raise their right hand and pledge to uphold the Constitution of the United States. This story is going to get ugly. In a timely fashion.
It already has gotten ugly. Cops murdered a guy in his own home because he was exercising the right to self-defense.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...fiscation-raid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Help me to understand something about Red Flag laws.

Does the Sheriff's Office come for your guns, or are you supposed to appear at his office and voluntarily surrender them?

Most likely it varies from law to law, state to state.

Sheriffs will refuse to grab guns from allegedly violent offenders, (as determined by a judge,) and gun owners will refuse to turn in their firearms.

What penalties for non-compliance could possibly have any effect??
See the link above.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:00 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
wrong. The standard isn't nudity, if you're involved in illegal activity, doesn't matter if you have clothes on, read the law.
I have read the Fourth Amendment many times. The cops have no way of knowing whether the person they will be filming later will be engaging in criminal activity. You're wrong.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:54 PM

8,235 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I hate cops"

I HOPE when you need them most, they WON'T show up!

When I needed them the most they showed up and helped the man beating me because it turned out they were buddies. I would've been better off had they not showed up.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:03 PM

623 posts, read 233,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Oh well, those sheriffs can be fired and replaced with new sheriffs, deputies and other local government workers who will do what they are told.
The ONLY people the sheriff's are bound to work for as the citizens of his/her county. The state don't like it then tough. Shouldn't have passed an illegal and unconstitutional law.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:52 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
It already has gotten ugly. Cops murdered a guy in his own home because he was exercising the right to self-defense.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...fiscation-raid

See the link above.
I'm as much of a 2nd amendment supporter as the next guy. however, in this case, the guy wasn't law abiding and even attempted to shoot the officers when they clearly identified themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYLfY-BqKtM

Old 04-15-2019, 05:57 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
I'm as much of a 2nd amendment supporter as the next guy. however, in this case, the guy wasn't law abiding and even attempted to shoot the officers when they clearly identified themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYLfY-BqKtM
It doesn't matter. Property rights are absolute and no one has the right to violate those rights. And that man had the inherent natural right to defend himself and his property against any government employee who trespassed.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:07 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
It's troubling when Sheriffs self-appoint themselves to be legislators and judiciaries just because some of their constituencies agree with them.

The ethical thing for a Sheriff who doesn't agree with and won't enforce laws is to resign immediately, and then they are free to lead an effort to have certain laws that they don't like repealed and file a legal challenge against it, as any other citizen would, but do it through the rule of law and due process.

The same holds true for Sanctuary cities/counties where sheriffs are saying they will refuse to enforce laws/cooperate with other law enforcement or for someone Kim Davis, the clerk from Kentucky who refused to issue the marriage license for a same-sex couple a few years ago.

Whether or not the laws they are refusing to enforce are good public policy or not is really a secondary issue.
The main issue to me is that just because they don't like something doesn't give them the authority to do as they please in a public office that doesn't hold that power. It's a dangerous precedent.

Last edited by Jowel; 04-15-2019 at 06:16 PM..

Old 04-15-2019, 06:07 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
The only qualifier I see within the second Amendment, is People.
Who changed People to Citizen only, and added Non-felons and mentally sane?

You do realize General Washington was a felon and crazy as a polecat in heat.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:15 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Funny thing, I have never, ever had a need for them. Of course, I had to call them because of someone trying to break into my house, but I have dogs and my own guns and was able to chase off the perps by the time the police showed up, which was like 30 minutes later.

And oh, I remember when one of my friends from where I grew up was only 13 years old when she got pregnant by the 33 year old DARE cop of the neighborhood. Sure, he got arrested, but he was sent to prison for 25 years, but not for raping a 13 year old girl, but for selling drugs to kids in the district he sworn to protect. Now, his sentence for statutory rape, 6 months.

Heck, the police are the reasons why NYC and Chicago are so expensive. Those police and teacher pensions aren't cheap.
Then WHY do you hate them so much?

Does 1 incident apply to ALL cops?

Heck, the police are the reasons why NYC and Chicago are so expensive. Those police and teacher pensions aren't cheap"

It is the UNIONS public and PRIVATE, why they are so expensive.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:23 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
NPC logic.

If all 50 states pass red flag laws (which are supported by Trump), who do you think will be doing the confiscations?

"If" I DON'T deal in if, maybe, could, should, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies