Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 11:34 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,660,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
well...……..they already have the Russian bear...……..
That is probably a tattoo Trump hasn’t exposed yet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 11:42 AM

39,028 posts, read 27,438,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
No one says to worship our flag. We are talking about respecting what it symbolizes.
This is so true.

No one says that he/she needs to "worship" the flag, but being offended by it?

Old 04-14-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
They`re proud of their country for what? Our last highlight moment was the moon landing in 1969.
There are a lot of things to be proud of.

1. Our constitution has been called by many around the world as the greatest piece of literature to ever be written. Offering a balanced view of the government’s role and the individuals responsibility to practice self-control, it is one our finest achievements, and what keeps us unique and a leader in the free world.

2. There is always a way to get ahead here in America. We effectively ooze opportunity. Many of come here without so much as two nickels to rub together and have ended up making a very comfortable life for themselves. Not all of us are going to be in the 1 percent of the world’s wealth. But, we can grab the opportunity right in front of us with both hands and do some good in the world.

These are just two examples, and I don't have full day to list them all.

Why do you think America is still the number 1 destination for the immigrants (legal and illegal)? If America sucks so much, explain why so many people KILL to come here?

Old 04-14-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Wow , this is nuts!

imagine being an immigrant or visitor in another country and being “offended” by their flag

All this stuff started happening with the whole SJW movement. Now our country’s flag is “controversial “?

——
A decision to affix an American flag graphic to the side of freshly painted Laguna Beach police cars is dividing residents who are alternately praising the image as patriotic or panning it as too aggressive.

“People are screaming that the American flag on a police car is somehow or another … hurting people’s feelings who might be immigrants or visitors,” said Councilman Peter Blake. “People are actually ridiculous enough to bring up comments about our cop cars having American flags on them.”

https://ktla.com/2019/04/13/american...park-backlash/
Too damned bad, deal with it! If American flag is offensive to you, YOU can leave. Simple.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:34 PM

18,554 posts, read 7,317,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
It’s weird though. If I see someone sporting a flag, a subconscious part of my mind assunes “deuce”.

And its weird because it’s this country’s flag, but something associates it’s flaunting with arrogance.
And there is nothing wrong with the flag itself, but something gave it that feeling.

Maybe just the stereotype of the American D. bag?
It's like you're from another planet.

I have no idea what "deuce" means.

The flag is never associated with arrogance in my world.

I have never heard of a "stereotype of the American D. bag". I have never even heard of "the American D. bag".

Old 04-14-2019, 02:10 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,090,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I'd be interested in knowing more about you. Are you American (and if so, native-born?), youngish, college-educated, liberal, white, and middle class or above?

(I'm just trying to figure out the type of people who have "subconscious" hostility to the American flag and associate it with "arrogance." )

When I see neighbors display the American flag, I am glad they are proud of their country. Growing up, we always put a flag out on holidays to demonstrate our appreciation of the country. Never occurred to me that people thought that was arrogant!
I was born here, my dad was in the military. I lived in different parts of the country. I guess I lean more liberal, more left of center. But I do like some conservative ideologies so I don't really like to claim a party. But my views are more left than right.

I think the idea comes from how American's can conduct themselves sometimes and we tend to think we're the greatest country ever. And not saying we're not great, I love it here. But I feel like our arrogance comes from believing we're better than everyone else.

Also feel like the flag has been a bit commercialized, or overall, America has been commercialized, so it's harder to see the flag in a serious light.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:35 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,994,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I was born here, my dad was in the military. I lived in different parts of the country. I guess I lean more liberal, more left of center. But I do like some conservative ideologies so I don't really like to claim a party. But my views are more left than right.

I think the idea comes from how American's can conduct themselves sometimes and we tend to think we're the greatest country ever. And not saying we're not great, I love it here. But I feel like our arrogance comes from believing we're better than everyone else.

Also feel like the flag has been a bit commercialized, or overall, America has been commercialized, so it's harder to see the flag in a serious light.
you can see the flag any way you wish...………….I see it through tear filled eyes watching it being folded and handed to my mother at my fathers funeral...………..

Old 04-14-2019, 02:38 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,079,928 times
The anti American sentiment and hatred of our flag is really strong on this thread by a few posters . Some of which are native citizens no doubt which is even scarier than people who came here and yet hate our way of life and our flag. This is what Democrats have become and liberals, progressives, etc., whatever the term of the hour is. Really doesn’t matter as the goal is the same: to destroy America, take our rights away, make us conform to 3rd world ways of life, make the abnormal be normal or jam it down our throats to make it so, destroying our landmarks even though they are part of history, etc. No other country would allow these things to happen.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:53 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,279,661 times
Trump worships our American flag, that’s why some people are triggered and offended . It also has TDS inducing red fabric (MAGA hat color) which magnifies the disease in some folks.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:54 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,090,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
The anti American sentiment and hatred of our flag is really strong on this thread by a few posters . Some of which are native citizens no doubt which is even scarier than people who came here and yet hate our way of life and our flag. This is what Democrats have become and liberals, progressives, etc., whatever the term of the hour is. Really doesn’t matter as the goal is the same: to destroy America, take our rights away, make us conform to 3rd world ways of life, make the abnormal be normal or jam it down our throats to make it so, destroying our landmarks even though they are part of history, etc. No other country would allow these things to happen.
Conclusions, lets just to them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies