Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 06:28 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Then let's ask the question again...

why are people migrating out of these states when they get older? Why has NY State and IL lost population the last 10-20 years ?

The growth has been in the states where the life expectancy is lower and by your post has less to offer then the fantasy land up north.

Why is this ?
Why is this even relevant....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 06:32 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Then let's ask the question again...

why are people migrating out of these states when they get older? Why has NY State and IL lost population the last 10-20 years ?

The growth has been in the states where the life expectancy is lower and by your post has less to offer then the fantasy land up north.

Why is this ?
Because the states with lower life expectancy tend to be warmer states, and people - especially older people - hate cold and snowy weather, so they move to the warmer states.

Which also suggests that hatred of cold and snow may actually be counter-productive, but that's another topic.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:34 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Because the states with lower life expectancy tend to be warmer states, and people - especially older people - hate cold and snowy weather, so they move to the warmer states.

Which also suggests that hatred of cold and snow may actually be counter-productive, but that's another topic.
The biggest factors are gender, race, and diet. The south diet of fried foods is killing them early.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Lol! No kidding.

I will happily take my 11 month "premature" death in Arizona over a life in California with the high taxes, oppressive govt and LWNJ mentality in California.

Quality over quantity.
I would say you are choosing quantity over quality.

Since Californians tend to live longer than Arizonans, that would suggest the quality of life in California is better, at least when it comes to things affecting one's longevity.

Thus, you are choosing a shorter quantity of life over a higher quality of life.

Wouldn't that be funny if, all the things conservatives hate about places like California, are actually good for their health?!?!

Old 04-14-2019, 06:38 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post

It doesn't fit... As already mentioned, there are many other southern states that are popular retirement destinations that also have high life expectancy.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The biggest factors are gender, race, and diet. The south diet of fried foods is killing them early.
I would agree that diet is a factor. Undoubtedly things like smoking habits as well.

But yet again, the fact that even within the same race we see that people in blue states live longer, tells us that race is a secondary factor.

Whites in blue states tend to live longer than whites in red states.
Blacks in blue states tend to live longer than blacks in red states.
Latinos in blue states (with a weaker correlation) tend to live longer than Latinos in red states.

You red state fans are going to have to live with the fact that something about the states you love, is killing its residents prematurely.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
It doesn't fit... As already mentioned, there are many other southern states that are popular retirement destinations that also have high life expectancy.
Looking at the map and list in my OP, the only southern state that appears to have a high-ish life expectancy, and that also is a retirement haven, is Florida. But, Florida is purple, not red. Arizona is also OK, but it, too, is purple these days.

Thus, your objection more or less proved my original point. Even the warmer states that have higher life expectancies, tend to be more purple, not red.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:44 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
I am neither obese nor diabetic. My former career in the military (and it's culture) fostered a life long attention to physical fitness and diet.

That said, your links show higher obesity, heart disease, and diabetes rates in California vice Arizona.

Yep, I'll do me. And not in a highly taxed, over regulated, nanny state region.

Sarcasm. It's what's for dinner.
Last I checked, this thread is about patterns in different types of states all across the nation. Not just California vs Arizona.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:45 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
As others have said. I would rather go for quality over quantity.

People in the cities may out live rural folks. Good for them. I like my space.I like that I don't need to lock my doors or have bars on my windows or worry about gang violence. I love when people say, "but most of Chicago is safe." As if the violence there is restricted to one house or something. There are entire sections of the city even the police are afraid of.

Nope. For me quality over quantity. Where I live now I am about a mile from the beach. My cost of living is about 40% of where I lived in the states.Health care is on par with what the USA has, but for far less. My annual health insurance premiums are less than 3 grand for both my wife and I. No deductible and a co pay that is insanely low.

The blue states listed may be nice places to visit, but not for me to live there.

Last edited by boneyard1962; 04-14-2019 at 07:57 PM..

Old 04-14-2019, 06:46 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
"In 1962 Harry Caudill, a lawyer and legislator, decided to shine a light upon the appalling conditions which he witnessed in Eastern Kentucky.
His introduction lays out the issues which he saw before him: A million Americans in the Southern Appalachians live in conditions of squalor, ignorance and ill health which could scarcely be equaled in Europe or Japan or, perhaps, in parts of mainland Asia.

Harry was actually from that area and grew up as one of them.....

"squalor, ignorance and ill health" didn't suddenly up and leave one day.....I can show it to you here in wealthy Gulf Coast Florida, let alone in many other Southern States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies