Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2019, 09:22 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
...but there are few indicators that are a better gauge of the well-being of the population than life expectancy.

Not necessarily, when looking at statistics like this you have to ask yourself why that might be. For example if you live in the city and have a life threatening emergency, ambulance/paramedic services and the hospital are not that far away.

There was study a while back that suggested young people living in rural areas had a higher rate of accidental death than young urban youths due to murder. They are working around machinery which I'll add has one of the highest rates of accidental death for occupations. Activities they are participating in like riding through the woods on quads or even higher rates of accidental gun deaths
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 09:47 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
You red state fans are going to have to live with the fact that something about the states you love, is killing its residents prematurely.
States that pass laws no longer requiring a license, training or background check will cause suicide by gun to go up. A lot of people in red states feel that guns should be even easier to get than a phone.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:49 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Then let's ask the question again...

why are people migrating out of these states when they get older? Why has NY State and IL lost population the last 10-20 years ?

The growth has been in the states where the life expectancy is lower and by your post has less to offer then the fantasy land up north.

Why is this ?
What does that have to do with the life expectancy? People move to the south and have less access to healthcare so they die earlier. Those that stay in the north have better access to healthcare and live longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I suspect many of the posters haven't been to states other than their own or the ones in their immediate vicinity.
YUP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
As others have said. I would rather go for quality over quantity.

People in the cities may out live rural folks. Good for them. I like my space.I like that I don't need to lock my doors or have bars on my windows or worry about gang violence. I love when people say, "but most of Chicago is safe." As if the violence there is restricted to one house or something. There are entire sections of the city even the police are afraid of.

Nope. For me quality over quantity. Where I live now I am about a mile from the beach. My cost of living is about 40% of where I lived in the states.Health care is on par with what the USA has, but for far less. My annual health insurance premiums are less than 3 grand for both my wife and I. No deductible and a co pay that is insanely low.

The blue states listed may be nice places to visit, but not for me to live there.
You have heavily subsidized healthcare. Good for you. Those that live in the US are mostly on their own and have no back-up. Apparently, they like it this way. Weird...

Old 04-14-2019, 10:00 PM

528 posts, read 227,295 times
Lol at the OP. That's changing rapidly with people fleeing those crappy states

Old 04-14-2019, 10:01 PM

528 posts, read 227,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Better education, better medical facilities, better social services, and so on lead to a longer, healthier life. Yes, you have to pay taxes for much of that.
Yet you guys are uglier looking and poorer. Tough lost

Old 04-14-2019, 10:07 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
There there now, somebody is butthurt.

They aren't my statistics. They come from the CDC. I have a sneaking suspicion the CDC is better at statistics than even Mathguy.
I'm pretty sure that NASA confirms that our moon exists, but citing statistics that it does to draw the conclusion that it's made of cheese would no longer be a NASA study now would it.

Hey, go about your petty bickering with the right-wingtards for all I care but if you play with numbers like a monkey with a hammer and a laptop then I'm going to comment.

Complicated real-world problems have more than one variable. Your cited article even mentions several but you've boiled it down to one.

Last edited by Mathguy; 04-14-2019 at 10:17 PM..

Old 04-14-2019, 10:07 PM

If you live in Mississippi, you have the same life expectancy as someone in Bangladesh. https://www.inc.com/bill-murphy-jr/scientists-just-ranked-all-50-states-by-life-expectancy-results-are-truly-stunning.html. In Oklahoma and several other states, Dominican Republic has longer life expectency.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:10 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
That's because all older people LEAVE to retire in states that offer fewer taxes, more freedom and better weather.
That's a bit of an overstatement, I moved BACK to California when I was 68.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's a bit of an overstatement, I moved BACK to California when I was 68.
If it was back to San Diego, no wonder. The weather there is hard to beat.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:20 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If it was back to San Diego, no wonder. The weather there is hard to beat.
We moved from Reno to Sacramento, the kids and grandkids mostly live in the SF Bay Area and we didn't want to move there and be house poor so we got a cheap house on a quarter acre here. We're close enough to visit but too far to end up being babysitters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies