Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 03:03 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Has anyone ever seen either airplanes or helicopters dropping water on buildings? From what I can tell when I see them dropping on wildfires, it's not an exact science. Water gets everywhere.You'd need to pull on the crews on the ground away from the fire. It's not realistic.
I've been on the ground on western wildfires in the past. The force of that water dropping is indeed large and would probably collapse a compromised structure. I've watched those drops knock some pretty big trees down. They're also not always as effective on a large fire as many may think. They might put a spot out but the surrounding area can overcome any effects of the drop if intense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 03:04 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I don't know where the nearest helicopters are but I'm sure France has a few of them that could handle it. As for the water availability, there is a river 100' from the cathedral. The cathedral is also not in the middle of the city, it is surrounded on three sides by open area parks and plazas.
Do you think a sudden deluge of water would have a devastating impact on an already fragile structure (there were cracks appearing in the stonework, that is why they were having to do renovation work) that had to have buttresses constructed to hold up the incredible weight already there. It would be like constructing a tower of playing cards, and pouring a teakettle of water on top of the playing cards. What do you think happens?

Old 04-15-2019, 03:05 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever seen either airplanes or helicopters dropping water on buildings? From what I can tell when I see them dropping on wildfires, it's not an exact science. Water gets everywhere.You'd need to pull on the crews on the ground away from the fire. It's not realistic.
Planes yes but helicopters can be used with very tight control and drop limits, I guess I just assumed that this conversation was about using helicopters with bags, not planes.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:06 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
I didn’t say it was realistic, my point was that it wasn’t the absolutely insane option people here are making it out to be. By the way, French officials have just indicated that they may not be able to get the fire under control and that it will essentially have to burn itself out.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Interesting that someone calling themselves TheMoreYouKnow is saying firefighters should be fighting this from the air when actual firefighters are saying otherwise --

— Sécurité Civile Fr (@SecCivileFrance) April 15, 2019

I'll take his word on it.

French officials said such a move could cause the entire structure to collapse.
I've been a volunteer fire fighter on and off for about 25 years, I'm just speaking my mind as someone with a little experience.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:08 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And in areas that are evacuated for miles around, not populated, urban areas with neighboring buildings that are *not* currently on fire.
Exactly. In most cases, aircraft carrying water is not even supposed to fly over populated areasm much less dump their water.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Wrong. It does matter what he says. He's supposed to be President. When I first saw someone post his tweet I honestly thought it came from The Onion.
He IS President, there's no "supposed to be" involved.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And in areas that are evacuated for miles around, not populated, urban areas with neighboring buildings that are *not* currently on fire.
Preventing the fire from spreading to surrounding structures would be my first reason for using air drops, the damn thing has already collapsed in on itself and it's very unlikely it'll be saved in any real way.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:10 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Planes yes but helicopters can be used with very tight control and drop limits, I guess I just assumed that this conversation was about using helicopters with bags, not planes.
Yes.

https://fireaviation.com/2017/10/26/...d-series-game/

Quote:

The helicopter was then diverted to a fire on the third-floor balcony of a three-story condominium in the 1000 block of Everett Place where it made two water drops. Los Angeles City Department Assistant Chief Tim Ernst called it, “A quick knockdown”.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Like on houses that are already going to be burned to smithereens?
Sure, or large warehouses, or structures you can't access with trucks, or huge structures that are too tall to reach with ladders. There are tons of reasons why helicopters would be used to fight large fires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies