Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 01:13 PM

10,522 posts, read 6,157,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
god sure has a hard time protecting his own churches lol
I'm an atheist but this is one of the most beautiful and important pieces of architecture. It's devastating to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 01:13 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Screw California. They no longer represent America's values of freedom and independence.
What an atomic load.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:14 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
It looks like there's scaffolding on the outside of where it is burning. My best uneducated guess is it's construction-related.

from the link in post #4:

The cathedral was in the midst of renovations, with some sections under scaffolding and bronze statues were removed last week for works.

The wood and lead spire was built during a restoration in the mid-19th century, according to the cathedral’s website.

The fire started 5 to 6 minutes after closing and was described as small when it was discovered. Terrorism is a real possibility.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:15 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Flying water tankers......all right Donnie.
Because air tankers flying low and dropping water bombs onto a weak and damaged historical building in the middle of a heavily populated city makes perfect sense. Plus I'm sure the French fire fighters were scratching their heads about how best to address this before that tweet.

2,486 posts, read 824,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Lets hope is not terrorism.

How can they replaced a 1000 year old structure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
during Holy week.....I'm sure it was an 'accident'

we'll likely never know the truth. that govt will never admit its terrorism. honestly wouldn't surprise me if they pinned it on yellow vesters
It's fairly easy to jump to conclusions however some conclusions can be made from the obvious.

Here's the problem. As you said it happened during Holy Week the day after Palm Sunday.

- The fire started less than 10 minutes after the cathedral was closed.
- The fire spread far faster than it likely should have which would make the use of an accelerant quite probable.
- The yellow vests wouldn't do this. They are, after all, French. Notre Dame is one of France's jewels.

I hope this isn't terrorism but everything up till now is screaming it. Too many timeline coincidences.
I'm speculating that arsonists hid in the place until it closed.

In any case, this is a massive disaster.

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
This is hardly a new phenomenon over the last couple of years. Catholic churches have been under attack ever since the import of Muslims to France.

https://www.newsweek.com/spate-attac...statue-1370800

Quote:
France has seen a spate of attacks against Catholic churches since the start of the year, vandalism that has included arson and desecration.

Vandals have smashed statues, knocked down tabernacles, scattered or destroyed the Eucharist and torn down crosses, sparking fears of a rise in anti-Catholic sentiment in the country.

Last Sunday, the historic Church of St. Sulpice in Paris was set on fire just after midday mass on Sunday, Le Parisien reported, although no one was injured. Police are still investigating the attack, which firefighters have confidently attributed to arson.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...-phillipe-isis

Quote:
A SEVEN day spree of vandalism has seen Catholic churches targeted across France sparking fears of a fresh wave of anti-Christian sentiment in the country, including one church being defiled with human EXCREMENT.

https://catholicherald.co.uk/news/20...hurch-attacks/

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2019/02/f...last-two-weeks

Old 04-15-2019, 01:16 PM

2,923 posts, read 977,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Screw California. They no longer represent America's values of freedom and independence.
i agree, communists

Old 04-15-2019, 01:16 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
This was a symbol of western civilization. The Nazis wouldn’t even touch this building. It’s beyond devastating. At a loss for words.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Yeah, a lot of accidents on Holy Week, that is a problem.
Seriously, I hope is not terrorism.
There are as many accidents during Holy Week as any other week. Not sure why you think otherwise.

Let's wait for the investigation before jumping to conclusions.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:18 PM

2,923 posts, read 977,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
It's fairly easy to jump to conclusions.

Here's the problem. As you said it happened during Holy Week the day after Palm Sunday.

The fire started less than 10 minutes after the cathedral was closed.
The fire spread far faster than if likely should have which would make the use of an accelerant quite likely.
The yellow vests wouldn't do this. They are, after all, French. Notre Dame is one of France's jewels.

I hope this isn't terrorism but everything up till now is screaming it. Too many timeline coincidences.
I'm speculating that arsonists hid in the place until it closed.

In any case, this is a massive disaster.
of course they didn't do it but the doesn't mean the corrupt putzes in the govt wont pin it on them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies