Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 08:15 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times

Advertisements

No industry is safe from manipulation.

OBAMA ADVISER’S BOOK IS RANKED 1,030 ON AMAZON. HOW DID IT MAKE NYT’S BEST SELLER LIST?

Her book, which was published April 2, is number 1,030 on Amazon’s list of top sellers and has only three reviews on the site. It similarly ranks 1,244 on Barnes and Noble where signed copies are being sold for less than the suggested retail for unsigned copies.

Yet the book was also 14th on the NYT bestseller list.

So there was very little organic sales for the book. However...

Jarrett’s book outsold all but the top four books on the NYT list, according to BookScan, which tracks sales figures. But instead of putting it at number five, the Times placed it lower, including behind one book billed as “a behind-the-scenes look at the daytime talk show ‘The View,'” which is seventh.

According to BookScan data, Jarrett’s book “Finding My Voice: My Journey to the West Wing and the Path Forward,” sold 12,600 copies in its first week, more than twice as many as the book ranked immediately above it on NYT’s list. The books in NYT’s fifth through 13th slots sold between 4,300 and 9,000 copies.

But they didn't put it at #5 on the list... probably because that's a high profile ranking which would have brought too much attention... and they knew the numbers were fake.

The article goes a little into how the scam is perpetrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 08:30 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,009 times
So...what? It's widely known (at least in the book world) that the NYT Bestseller list is like voting for prom queen. It's a popularity contest-the most-deserving may not necessarily be on top. Numbers are easily manipulated, and probably double-counted (retail & wholesale sales). It's a little bit of the cart driving the horse--say a book is a bestseller and it becomes one. Interestingly, however, you are upset over Valerie Jarret's book. What about Bill O'Reilly or Tucker Carlson? They both had books topping the list last year. Ben Shapiro's book was/is on the list this year. I'm betting I'll hear those are all there on merit alone...

Old 04-16-2019, 08:32 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
This is one way politicians are repaid for the allegiance.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:47 AM

12,381 posts, read 8,134,444 times
Who reads all those political books? I bet the vast majority are bought so others will see the dust cover title on your bookshelves.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
So...what? It's widely known (at least in the book world) that the NYT Bestseller list is like voting for prom queen. It's a popularity contest-the most-deserving may not necessarily be on top. Numbers are easily manipulated, and probably double-counted (retail & wholesale sales). It's a little bit of the cart driving the horse--say a book is a bestseller and it becomes one. Interestingly, however, you are upset over Valerie Jarret's book. What about Bill O'Reilly or Tucker Carlson? They both had books topping the list last year. Ben Shapiro's book was/is on the list this year. I'm betting I'll hear those are all there on merit alone...
Why do you people always assume someone is upset because a thread is started? It's probably more telling about your mindset, and you are projecting it on to me.

It's just info about liberal buddies promoting each other, along with how the book industry manipulates the ratings.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:00 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Who reads all those political books?
There are 117,000 libraries in the USA. Libraries often buy several copies of a book.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:27 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Why do you people always assume someone is upset because a thread is started? It's probably more telling about your mindset, and you are projecting it on to me.

It's just info about liberal buddies promoting each other, along with how the book industry manipulates the ratings.

I say you're upset because you went to a little effort to post/link. Not upset? Fine. Then I'll change my post to read: "however, you are mildly concerned or perhaps just barely bothered by Valerie Jarret's book and its position on the NYT best-seller list."

Too late. Can't edit my post. Darn.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:37 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
It's a great way to funnel bribes to people like Obama, Bernie, Michele, Hillary...

Let them ghost write a book no one wants to read and let the rich Democrat Billionaires buy over inflated priced copies by the pallet full to give away to no one who will ever read them.

Thus you have Bernie who makes millions off writing a "Popular" book legitimately and buying 3 house while he cries for more Taxes.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:40 AM

23,964 posts, read 15,059,733 times
It is common for political groups or PACS to buy up hundreds of copies of books to get the book on the NYT list. Happens all the time. They give them to donors.

It happens in all political groups, not just liberal.

Why would anybody buy books to funnel bribe money to a politician? All they need to do is put the money in an offshore account. Why open themselves up to scrutiny when it can be done in secret?

Old 04-16-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
It is common for political groups or PACS to buy up hundreds of copies of books to get the book on the NYT list. Happens all the time. They give them to donors.

It happens in all political groups, not just liberal.

Why would anybody buy books to funnel bribe money to a politician? All they need to do is put the money in an offshore account. Why open themselves up to scrutiny when it can be done in secret?
It wasn't to bribe anyone. It was likely done to boost her resume for future jobs.

Even though it means spending significant amounts of money to buy their own books, hitting bestseller status helps authors in other ways. Indeed, Jarrett’s web page advertising her as a paid speaker already notes that she is a “Former Senior Advisor, Obama Administration; Bestselling Author.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies