Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 12:39 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I am an American by birth because I happened to be born on territory controlled by the US government. But this notion of "American-ness" is just make-believe. It is a childish conception learned by pre-schoolers who pledge their allegiance without understanding what it even means. And it is preached by selfish adults who benefit from it.

America is an empire, and consists of various people who despise each other. Many of whom would gladly kill each other if there were no police to stop them.

America is the Roman Empire. It spans the continent it conquered, and dominates an often unwilling people. Not only would a sizable minority of Americans be unwilling to lift a finger to save her from destruction, but would gladly assist in such destruction if they believed it would be successful.

Pic-related was best day of my life.

https://fee.org/media/24827/fallofro...14267210000000
I ...agree completely... sadly...

The orginal populace was conquered.

Even among White people, Country Boys and City Boys hate eachother.

White people are under-reproducing and, over-medicating themselves into extinction but, complain about why other cultural populations are increasing.

Blacks and Whites hate eachother.

Blacks and Latins hate Whites.

Blacks and Latins also hate Chinese and Indians.

Whites hate Chinese and Indians because they're now better at the stuff Whites used to be good at (i.e. things requiring skills and education).

Ghetto Blacks hate everyone.

Everyone, rightly, hates Ghetto Blacks in turn, because, by percentage, they commit the most crime, and consume the most taxpayer resources, even though Non-American Blacks (i.e. African, like Nigerians, Ethiopians, and Tanzanians) are largely succesful.

Everybody hates a specific type of Latin called Mexican cuz' there are a lot of 'em that work cheap (and pretty good at that).

Everybody hates Jews because ...Jews?!

Nobody likes Muslims because they blow up too many people, but they're too scared to say it because they don't wanna get blown up.

On top of all that, governmental policies stir the pot of hatred, with policies that pit us against eachother and, if that isn't divisive enough, throw in some gay marriage.

...and if even that doesn't work let's give legitimacy and credibility to confused, mentally-ill, neurochemically deranged, nut jobs who think gender is a fluid, non-binary concept.

All of it only held together by the police state we call "American Government".

...man our country is messed up, still, a lot of places are MUCH worse...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 04:10 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,020 times
Quote:
Whites hate Chinese and Indians because they're now better at the stuff Whites used to be good at (i.e. things requiring skills and education).
Even skilled and educated whites are no match for H1B1.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:44 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
The blog post goes beyond seeking diversity. There is active hostility to the presence of white authors, "white knowledge".

Her blog quote: "Libraries filled with mostly white collections indicates that we don’t care about what POC think, we don’t care to hear from POC themselves, we don’t consider POC to be scholars, we don’t think POC are as valuable, knowledgeable, or as important as white people.

No it doesn't mean all that. At least for most.

This radical librarian is not being measured or neutral and is not alone. She may have been smart to leave some things vague but there is suggestion and forethought here, imo. I am engaged in a mild protest of another librarian as it relates to a certain issue also involving exclusion.

When you encounter a radical that goes too far in your opinion, according to your values, somebody has to speak up. Groupthink can go too far on a lot of things.

When I was in college a radical lesbian professor from another university gave a paid talk. She announced that she was not going to take any questions from men at the end (after agreeing to a paid, public, mixed event). I immediately engaged in a silent protest when the question period started and would not put my hand down till it was over, despite her trying to make me. She eventually (many years later) lost her home university job for similar tactics with males who enrolled in her class.

No, being radical does not mean you can do anything for justice or retribution, or try to silence or belittle others.
Radicals and racists are a dime a dozen. That some librarian somewhere has very odd, distasteful views on books collections and displays is hardly worth noting. What makes this important is the evidence that this librarian is not a lone crazy, but is actually within the mainstream of her profession, not to mention the fact that she is employed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:20 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Library Journal, founded in 1876 by the inventor of the Dewey Decimal System, is the leading journal for professional librarians in the English speaking world. Six hours ago, it tweeted out this from Sofia Leung, a librarian at MIT:

Sofia Leung's blog

"Whiteness" as a Waste of Space, by Steve Sailer - The Unz Review

It's 1984.

The left does not realize that they are the greater threat to individual liberty than the Axis Powers of WW2 and the Soviet Block in the Cold War.

Liberals will not be happy until they can achieve an oppressive police state in America.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:24 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The ability to make a logical inference perhaps? Arguing that something is bad and takes up space is the same as arguing to get rid of it.
There is a fine line of 'logical inference' and making up stories to support your bias.

I have been heavily involved in media centers for schools specifically -- libraries.

I have never had a 'liberal' parent want to ban a book from the library.
We have had to fight many parents wanting books banned -- and all of them have used conservative/religious principles to support their arguments.

Based on my experience & exposure to folks wanting to ban books, I could 'logically' infer that most folks wanting to ban books in libraries are conservatives....but I don't...........

Until there is a movement at any library that specifically targets one book because it is written by a straight white male -- your theory is based on pure speculation , no substance and really doesn't warrant a debate.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:26 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
When I was in college a radical lesbian professor from another university gave a paid talk. She announced that she was not going to take any questions from men at the end (after agreeing to a paid, public, mixed event). I immediately engaged in a silent protest when the question period started and would not put my hand down till it was over, despite her trying to make me.
Good for you. In hindsight though, doesn't the whole thing seem absurd? Would you even bother showing up to protest something like that now?

Old 06-12-2019, 12:28 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
I didn't go to protest then. I went to learn or at least consider. I didn't expect what happened from her or me. And no, I haven't gone to anything I recall in recent years to protest. I am more about protest emails and occasionally social media. I think the last thing I protested in the streets may have been a set of KKK shootings. I have never protested "speech". Then I guess I protested suppression of speech.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-12-2019 at 01:02 PM..

Old 06-12-2019, 12:32 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Clickbait thread title. She didn't say anything about purging libraries. You should be ashamed, OP.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:00 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
If the librarian did say something about purging the library of books written by White men, she is not any better than a White person suggesting that a library purge books written by Black men!

Old 06-12-2019, 01:06 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Clickbait thread title. She didn't say anything about purging libraries. You should be ashamed, OP.
Exactly, I have the feeling many of the people commenting on this thread never even bothered to read her blog post.

As quoted from the article.

Quote:
When most of our collections filled with this so-called “knowledge,” it continues to validate only white voices and perspectives and erases the voices of people of color. Collections are representations of what librarians (or faculty) deem to be authoritative knowledge and as we know, this field and educational institutions, historically, and currently, have been sites of whiteness.
I found this quote to be very relatable to my own field of expertise Architecture. Sitting in my own private library I have a large book chronicling the complete history of Architecture. About 60% of the book is specifically about Europe and America. The remaining 40% is the rest of the world. For example the number of chapters chronicling European architecture from the Dark Ages to the Renaissance numbers 6. But the entirety of Islamic architecture of the same period of time is confined to one chapter. Even though the complexity and variation within Islamic architecture was as great as what was happening in Europe. An individual with limited knowledge of the history of architecture would conclude from reading this book that the history of architecture is really the history of European architecture and what was happening elsewhere in the world was just background noise. In this regard I understand where the librarian is coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies