Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 03:54 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
All schools could be improved with more funding. However, from what I have observed, the parents of many poor students need to take more responsibility for inspiring their children to want to learn. It's not enough for the kids to spend their hours in the schoolroom, it's also what those students do in the hours after school that also need to be addressed.

I also don't think that our schools need better teachers. And I think that people that go into teaching, want to teach. But after years of trying to teach students that don't want to learn, they get burnt out and tired. Teachers are there to teach, not to be entertaining or be a difficult child's therapist. I had boring teachers in school, and we learned just fine because as a group, all of us students wanted to learn and go on to college. The inspiration to want to learn has to come from a child's parents or adult role models. A bad parent just can't drop their kids off at school and expect the school turn their kids into functioning happy adults. I don't think anyone should have kids unless they are willing to raise them properly.

One of my high school friends, single and of Italian descent, took in a black neighborhood boy at the age of 12, mentored him and helped him make it into college. He first asked to be her dog walker, then after they got to know each other, he asked her to help give his life structure because he wanted to go on to college. His mother had no interest in helping him with his schooling. And for some odd reason, his mother didn't care about him at all. So it was my friend that helped with his homework and watched him at his track meets.
Whenever I bring up better schooling for poorer areas the comments are always about these "bad parents" who don't care about their child's education. People seem to think poor automatically means bad parents who don't care. Of course there are parents like this, but there are also so many parents who want their children to learn and have a decent education, but can't afford to move or send their kids to private schools.

I lived this, I grew up in city with a horrendous school system. I was fortunate because my parents made enough money to send me to a parochial school. I watched so many smart kids fail in life because of a dangerous horrible school, and their parents did care, but were struggling to get by.

It infuriates me because I know in a way most middle/upper class people don't how fortunate I am to have had a decent education. I know that much of my success in life is dependent upon that. People want to turn being poor into a moral failing and just say "the parents don't care, it's a waste to try and help them, if they REALLY cared about their kids they would have gotten a 4th job"

Last edited by detshen; 04-12-2008 at 04:35 PM..

Old 04-12-2008, 04:43 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
Our school district just put out a newsletter that states that our students have on average the highest state test scores, but the lowest spending per student in our state (Colorado).

The volunteer luncheon at the school my kids attend has received over 200 positive RSVPs... not everyone can make it. There are less than 500 students at their elementary school... more than 300 invites went out to parent volunteers.

Money won't fix schools. Parents who are involved on a daily basis will.

If every parent (especially the parents of the kids making the schools a dangerous place) spent just an hour a month volunteering at the school, the schools would be OVERRUN by adults. Some of the moms I run into volunteer during their lunch hour. One mom comes in after work, before she goes home to sleep (she works graveyards at a 7-11). So many people want to yell that middle/upper class parents don't "get it". We get it alright. We make DAILY choices and sacrifices to ensure that despite the fact that kids from "bad" neighborhoods/schools get bussed into our schools, the ADULTS run the schools, not the children.

Ask your kid's teachers - the kids whose parents volunteer AT THE SCHOOL are the best behaved.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:16 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
I wrote and meant "every possible measure" should be taken. No just throwing money at a problem, but making it a top priority that all schools are good. If we can wage wars in other countries we can put some resources toward fixing schools. Even the children of those "horrible parents" deserve a chance in life and they just won't get it if they don't have decent school to go to.

This is too far off topic so I'm not going further into it.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:28 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,083 times
[quote=Acupunk;3440273]Whenever I bring up better schooling for poorer areas the comments are always about these "bad parents" who don't care about their child's education. People seem to think poor automatically means bad parents who don't care. Of course there are parents like this, but there are also so many parents who want their children to learn and have a decent education, but can't afford to move or send their kids to private schools.

I lived this, I grew up in city with a horrendous school system. I was fortunate because my parents made enough money to send me to a parochial school. I watched so many smart kids fail in life because of a dangerous horrible school, and their parents did care, but were struggling to get by.

It infuriates me because I know in a way most middle/upper class people don't how fortunate I am to have had a decent education. I know that much of my success in life is dependent upon that. People want to turn being poor into a moral failing and just say "the parents don't care, it's a waste to try and help them, if they REALLY cared about their kids they would have gotten a 4th job"[/QUOTE

I agree many single parent and low income parents cannot do it on their own and do all things perfectly. I attend many Individual Education Plan meetings with parents, teachers, and the diagnostic teams. At most meetings I attend, the parents eventually break down and begin to weep for their child. They blame themselves, they speak about what works, what does not work, their vision for their child and how they are so thankful for the support of the school personnel.They have gotten so many mixed messages about their child from those in the medical field to those in the educational arena. Many beat themselves up for the slow progress their children may be making in some areas of development.

Many of them really do care about their children and have made their children their number one priority. It is good for me as a professional to see this when you here all the negativity from people on this forum. This forum is very much like the television, thank GOD for my job and the opportunity to speak on things that are actually true because I work in the field.

Over and over again the diagnostic team will tell them how far their children have come and with the proper supports they will be fine. It is so good to see and hear for parents. Someone who supports their efforts and is willing to work with them to hopefully make sure their children are a success.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Our school district just put out a newsletter that states that our students have on average the highest state test scores, but the lowest spending per student in our state (Colorado).

The volunteer luncheon at the school my kids attend has received over 200 positive RSVPs... not everyone can make it. There are less than 500 students at their elementary school... more than 300 invites went out to parent volunteers.

If every parent (especially the parents of the kids making the schools a dangerous place) spent just an hour a month volunteering at the school, the schools would be OVERRUN by adults. Some of the moms I run into volunteer during their lunch hour. One mom comes in after work, before she goes home to sleep (she works graveyards at a 7-11). So many people want to yell that middle/upper class parents don't "get it". We get it alright. We make DAILY choices and sacrifices to ensure that despite the fact that kids from "bad" neighborhoods/schools get bussed into our schools, the ADULTS run the schools, not the children.

Ask your kid's teachers - the kids whose parents volunteer AT THE SCHOOL are the best behaved.
Parent Involvement is prominent and it is an ongoing struggle to get low income parents into the school. Their best participation rates are when the children are in preschool and they come out and help because there is less intimidation to be with children this age as well. Many have to work, but I have them work on things at home too if they cannot physically come into the schools. I think whether on site or off site if children know when parents are active in their schools they do for the most part behave better and work harder for good grades.

I recently wrote a piece on this for a journal article with some other professors from the grad school I attended. Parent Involvement has been one of the factors for children being successful while in school. Parents have been so involved that they now are in the colleges and universities getting on the professors last nerves and they are b.k.a. the Helicopter Parents. I ask what did we expect when we expected parent involvement from parents during the years the child was in primary and secondary school and now we tell parent's to back off. NOT!!

I will not beat up on a parent for not attending during the day when she has been mandated to work, but I expect her to do something at least three times per year in the school. She can come on her off day or lunch break. I try to keep my parents involved.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:43 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,357 times
Black or African American History, whichever your prefer, is American History....period. And the truth of the matter is that American History cannot be discussed or debated in it's fullness without the mentioning of slavery, oppression, the civil rights movement and the struggles Blacks have faced in the United States since the first black slaves arrived on American soil in 1619.

I also find it very interesting that many of European ancestry are proud and quick to talk about the History of their ancestors arriving at Ellis Island....European Jews are very fast to tell the American people and the World about the History of their people during the Holocaust; But, when it comes down to Black people talking about the History of their ancestors and the slavery, oppression and civil rights violations that they experienced, many white people expect Blacks or African Americans, whichever you prefer, to remain silent.

Which leads me to ask this question to those who believe that blacks should "get over it": What gives YOU the right to tell a race of people to forget about their history?

Old 04-12-2008, 05:46 PM

877 posts, read 2,767,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post

I don't know how the school system is anywhere else but in New York City it is very difficult to be an active parent within the school system. A lot of parents are working long hours and both parents may be working thereby not allowing them to be as active as they might want to be. Also, the schools are not extremely welcoming to the parents. I have been to the schools on a number of occassions, trying to meet the teachers on the first day of school etc. and it was not allowed. Don't know if this is the norm or just that particular school. To become actively involved, you have to be available during the course of the day which is not practical for some people. This does not make them bad people or uninterested, it just means that they do not have the opportunity to become involved.

With that being said, there is an excellent school in Brooklyn in Bed-Stuy that has students that excel. Totally shattering the stereotype because this school has teachers that nuture a child's imagination and stress education above all. This is what is needed. The quality of a teacher is paramount in the education of a child. Children that teachers do not expect to succeed, will most likely not succeed. Children that are not pushed to the boundaries of their mind, tend to become apathetic with the educational system and tend to fall by the wayside. I had some excellent teachers in elementary school and junior high school. It was in high school where I started to see the apathy of some of the teachers and realized everything was not as it seemed.

You have some of the brightest children that have fallen out of the system and once they have fallen out, it is very difficult to get them back in. Not because of them not wanting to but because of the nature of the educational system. A bright child that has fallen behind due to whatever, will not be willing to sit in a class that is not up to par with their intelligence. It is boring to them and they will rebel, right or wrong.

I honestly believe that bringing the educational system up so that everyone is receiving a good and meaningful educational experience would go a long way in helping. I don't think it is fair to judge kids that received a poor education with the same measuring stick that you measure someone that received a good education. I don't think that the blame falls entirely on the parents either. If the parent did not receive the best education, did not attend college etc., then you cannot expect them to be able to guide their children through the educational system. Just to throw something out there, maybe people have put too much faith in the educational system and believed that teacher's were looking out for all of the students the same. A teacher that children believe cares about them and their education goes a long way in helping to mold a child, as far as their educational experience is concerned. But even if a teacher wants to help a child to succeed, sometimes it is not allowed by the school system. My nephew's teacher thinks he is an excellent student and strived to help him and teach him a little extra when his mother was working and before his father came home. Due to the nature of the system, she was not allowed to do it and had to stop or risk losing her job if she continued to try and help him afterschool. It is a complex issue and no easy or pat answers.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:52 PM

877 posts, read 2,767,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Parent Involvement is prominent and it is an ongoing struggle to get low income parents into the school. Their best participation rates are when the children are in preschool and they come out and help because there is less intimidation to be with children this age as well. Many have to work, but I have them work on things at home too if they cannot physically come into the schools. I think whether on site or off site if children know when parents are active in their schools they do for the most part behave better and work harder for good grades.

I recently wrote a piece on this for a journal article with some other professors from the grad school I attended. Parent Involvement has been one of the factors for children being successful while in school. Parents have been so involved that they now are in the colleges and universities getting on the professors last nerves and they are b.k.a. the Helicopter Parents. I ask what did we expect when we expected parent involvement from parents during the years the child was in primary and secondary school and now we tell parent's to back off. NOT!!

I will not beat up on a parent for not attending during the day when she has been mandated to work, but I expect her to do something at least three times per year in the school. She can come on her off day or lunch break. I try to keep my parents involved.
That is great and I wish that more educators were as actively involved in getting the parents participation. I think that people will do it if they are asked to and given the opportunity to that fits within their schedule.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
I don't know how the school system is anywhere else but in New York City it is very difficult to be an active parent within the school system. A lot of parents are working long hours and both parents may be working thereby not allowing them to be as active as they might want to be. Also, the schools are not extremely welcoming to the parents. I have been to the schools on a number of occassions, trying to meet the teachers on the first day of school etc. and it was not allowed. Don't know if this is the norm or just that particular school. To become actively involved, you have to be available during the course of the day which is not practical for some people. This does not make them bad people or uninterested, it just means that they do not have the opportunity to become involved.

With that being said, there is an excellent school in Brooklyn in Bed-Stuy that has students that excel. Totally shattering the stereotype because this school has teachers that nuture a child's imagination and stress education above all. This is what is needed. The quality of a teacher is paramount in the education of a child. Children that teachers do not expect to succeed, will most likely not succeed. Children that are not pushed to the boundaries of their mind, tend to become apathetic with the educational system and tend to fall by the wayside. I had some excellent teachers in elementary school and junior high school. It was in high school where I started to see the apathy of some of the teachers and realized everything was not as it seemed.

You have some of the brightest children that have fallen out of the system and once they have fallen out, it is very difficult to get them back in. Not because of them not wanting to but because of the nature of the educational system. A bright child that has fallen behind due to whatever, will not be willing to sit in a class that is not up to par with their intelligence. It is boring to them and they will rebel, right or wrong.

I honestly believe that bringing the educational system up so that everyone is receiving a good and meaningful educational experience would go a long way in helping. I don't think it is fair to judge kids that received a poor education with the same measuring stick that you measure someone that received a good education. I don't think that the blame falls entirely on the parents either. If the parent did not receive the best education, did not attend college etc., then you cannot expect them to be able to guide their children through the educational system. Just to throw something out there, maybe people have put too much faith in the educational system and believed that teacher's were looking out for all of the students the same. A teacher that children believe cares about them and their education goes a long way in helping to mold a child, as far as their educational experience is concerned. But even if a teacher wants to help a child to succeed, sometimes it is not allowed by the school system. My nephew's teacher thinks he is an excellent student and strived to help him and teach him a little extra when his mother was working and before his father came home. Due to the nature of the system, she was not allowed to do it and had to stop or risk losing her job if she continued to try and help him afterschool. It is a complex issue and no easy or pat answers.
Good post with very insightful comments and observations. Yes-there are some teachers who do not prefer that parents be in their classrooms. They also intimidate parents both teaches and the administration-I am not sure why some behave this way, but it is a well known fact.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:20 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets agree to disagree View Post
Why Do Whites insists that Blacks just "get over it" and move on. Or "let forget about it and treat everyone equal" ? Why do I see so many posts from whites that want blacks to forget their past. To forget slavery, discrimination. Civil Rights era. I hear...get over it! Let's just move on and treat everyone the same. Like it's that simple. Does talking about race make whites uncomfortable. Should we ask the Jews to forget the Holocaust too? Seems to me that the reason that the black community suffers from proverty, lack of self esteem, and other ills is because of the past. The discrimination of the past has lead to the endless cycle of dispair and proverty. Why are whites so scared or uncomfortable when it comes to talking about race?
I have never said to forget about it. But do not dwell on it, if you keep your eyes on the past, it will not help you in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies